ex-Rep. Joe Walsh goes on racist "I Have a Dream" rant
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 04:47:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ex-Rep. Joe Walsh goes on racist "I Have a Dream" rant
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: ex-Rep. Joe Walsh goes on racist "I Have a Dream" rant  (Read 4866 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »

To be fair, these are all good things.  Except the last five, which are just racist.

Six and Seven are aimed at curbing out of wedlock birth and sexual abuse. I don't see how you could see the first five as not racist and suddenly six and seven are just horrible. You see what I am saying, the minute the issue changes to something you don't care about or disagree on, it becomes racist. Either all of the first seven are racist or all seven are not.

Eight is about criticizing the approach of the leadership in the black community. Is it really advantageous to the community to have a set of leadership shielded from criticism? Considering the current situation, comformity of opinion is the last thing the community needs, because there is no where to go when the approach fails. Nine is the worst one followed by ten. Though worded differently, calling on anybody to be responsible and self-improving is hardly horrible. Ten is rhetorical excess, but criticizing gov't dependency and considering it a source of some of the problems, is hardly out of line either.

Yeah, you're right. Change my stance to "Most are fine, and some are bad"

To be fair, these are all good things.  Except the last five, which are just racist.

If they're so good, then why are they exclusively a dream for black kids? Does he ever make these statements about "the white community"?

Put another way, why is the presumption that these are problems the default black kid is presumed to face, while the default white kid doesn't?

(Note: that on average, more black kids than white kids check a box doesn't explain it.)

Well blacks are disproportionately affected by the quantifiable social ills that Walsh cited. For example, something like 70% of black kids are born to single mothers and blacks are 2-3 more times likely to drop out of high school than whites.

What Walsh is touching on is a very real set of social problems that are faced by blacks, especially poor blacks.

That 70% was under 20% in past times and roughly 25% 50 years ago.

Link
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 07:34:28 PM »

This idea that being married and poor is somehow better than being single and poor needs to stop.

Domestic violence and child abuse cases are also down est 60-80% in households in the past fifty years.  Many single mothers and deadbeat fathers of 90s-00s "gangsta youth" were raised in the 1950s and 1960s by nuclear families.  It didn't help them.

Families can only do so much.  Outside influences are much better at pulling at-risk youth up.  Teenagers mimic their peers more than than their parents.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »

According to Democrats it's racist to wish success for the black community? Please explain to me in depth detail how this is racist? Martin Luther King would want blacks to be more involved in their community, graduating at higher rates, and not involved in gangs.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »

Behaving like upstanding citizens is now apparently racist to these liberals.

No, but openly stating as Walsh does that only blacks suffer from these problems is.

The word 'only' does not appear in his statement. You merely inserted it into his statement in  your mind.

Of he didn't mean only, he could have left out the word black he chose to include in every single sentence of his rant, or included both black and white as King did in his speech fifty years ago.  Nope, it's quite clear what he meant and its about as disgusting as your fixation with the browns.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »

This idea that being married and poor is somehow better than being single and poor needs to stop.

Domestic violence and child abuse cases are also down est 60-80% in households in the past fifty years.  Many single mothers and deadbeat fathers of 90s-00s "gangsta youth" were raised in the 1950s and 1960s by nuclear families.  It didn't help them.

Families can only do so much.  Outside influences are much better at pulling at-risk youth up.  Teenagers mimic their peers more than than their parents.

Being a poor kid with two parents is a lot less common than being a poor kid with one parent for one thing.  The causality isn't all in one direction but it does make a difference. Beyond that, there is the social support that having two parents provides that is especially important in an impoverished environment.

I don't know where you get your numbers on domestic abuse. I haven't seen anything that goes along with that. I'm sure you'd find that the children who grew up without fathers in the 1990s were more likely than average among blacks to have been born to those who grew up without fathers in the 1970s.  There are also generational social changes that influence family structure that don't in themselves mean that those who grow up in the new normal don't suffer from that fact.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 10:09:24 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2013, 10:12:37 PM by krazen1211 »

Behaving like upstanding citizens is now apparently racist to these liberals.

No, but openly stating as Walsh does that only blacks suffer from these problems is.

The word 'only' does not appear in his statement. You merely inserted it into his statement in  your mind.

Of he didn't mean only, he could have left out the word black he chose to include in every single sentence of his rant, or included both black and white as King did in his speech fifty years ago.  Nope, it's quite clear what he meant and its about as disgusting as your fixation with the browns.

He could have. Alternatively you could have not chosen to randomly insert words into his mouth to suit your own agenda. Both chose otherwise.

What is 'openly stated' is quite contrary to your fabrication.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »

According to Democrats it's racist to wish success for the black community? Please explain to me in depth detail how this is racist? Martin Luther King would want blacks to be more involved in their community, graduating at higher rates, and not involved in gangs.

Good advice is good advice. It is best directed at those who need it.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 11:07:31 PM »

Good advice is good advice. It is best directed at those who need it.

If only others could think like you and me Krazen.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 11:19:33 PM »

Being a poor kid with two parents is a lot less common than being a poor kid with one parent for one thing.  The causality isn't all in one direction but it does make a difference. Beyond that, there is the social support that having two parents provides that is especially important in an impoverished environment.

I don't know where you get your numbers on domestic abuse. I haven't seen anything that goes along with that. I'm sure you'd find that the children who grew up without fathers in the 1990s were more likely than average among blacks to have been born to those who grew up without fathers in the 1970s.  There are also generational social changes that influence family structure that don't in themselves mean that those who grow up in the new normal don't suffer from that fact.

I realize all of this.

Krazen posted above that the percentage of black children born to single mothers has tripled in the past fifty years.  Well, domestic violence cases in households have fallen just as significantly (64% in the past 30 years).

Poor two parent households are just as terrible of places to be raised as poor single parent households.  "Going back to the family unit" is no solution for the black community. 
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 02:19:39 AM »

I realize all of this.

Krazen posted above that the percentage of black children born to single mothers has tripled in the past fifty years.  Well, domestic violence cases in households have fallen just as significantly (64% in the past 30 years).

Poor two parent households are just as terrible of places to be raised as poor single parent households.  "Going back to the family unit" is no solution for the black community. 

No but black leaders like Jesse Jackson don't seem very upset with the rise in blacks being born out of wedlock and the number of blacks murdering each other. It seems he's very selective in his criticism.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »

I realize all of this.

So because domestic violence rates have fallen dramatically (again, no idea where you're getting this or what population it refers to) then fathers shouldn't bother to stick around? 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 04:59:02 PM »

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 10:08:35 PM »

So because domestic violence rates have fallen dramatically (again, no idea where you're getting this or what population it refers to) then fathers shouldn't bother to stick around? 

Poverty is a foolproof marriage repellant. And if you try to refute that with wholesome stories of ma and pa staying together during the Depression when they lost the farm, I will respond by pointing out that prevailing gender roles and social norms were what prevented marriages in that era from dissolving.

The reality is that women do not "need" a man and men do not "need" a woman in the ways they once did that transcended and took precedence over economic realities.

Who chops the firewood? The man. Nobody - we have gas and electricity.
Who plants the crops? The man. Hispanic migrant workers.
Who guards the homestead? The man. Police and ADT.
Who cooks the meals? The woman. The microwave or the staff at your local restaurant.
Who makes the clothes? The woman. Bangladeshi orphans.
Who keeps you warm at night? My spouse. The guy/girl I bring home from the club on a given night.

We've outsourced most of our husbandly/wifely duties for economic, technological and social reasons over the past 40 or so years. If you don't love someone, you have no reason to stay with them. If you don't like being with someone, you have no reason to stay with them.

If you're poor, you're stressed all the time, tired all the time and arguing about money all the time. That doesn't make you want to be with someone and could very well make you despise them over time.

Why would a working-class/underclass father bother to stick around? He has no way to provide for his family in any meaningful way.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 10:33:49 PM »

Can we stop tossing around the word 'racist' like its a sorority girl on halloween
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 10:43:42 PM »

Can we stop tossing around the word 'racist' like its a sorority girl on halloween

"To complain about people pointing out racism, I think I'm gonna use a misogynist metaphor. Yeah, that'll show 'em."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »

No.  I'm saying it won't be some grand solution that will solve crime, drug use, and violence the Christian right is making it out to be.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2013, 01:24:03 AM »

According to the progressives, wishing the black community better times is racist if you criticize them in any way, shape, or form.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 02:06:50 AM »

Poverty is a foolproof marriage repellant. And if you try to refute that with wholesome stories of ma and pa staying together during the Depression when they lost the farm, I will respond by pointing out that prevailing gender roles and social norms were what prevented marriages in that era from dissolving.

The reality is that women do not "need" a man and men do not "need" a woman in the ways they once did that transcended and took precedence over economic realities.

Who chops the firewood? The man. Nobody - we have gas and electricity.
Who plants the crops? The man. Hispanic migrant workers.
Who guards the homestead? The man. Police and ADT.
Who cooks the meals? The woman. The microwave or the staff at your local restaurant.
Who makes the clothes? The woman. Bangladeshi orphans.
Who keeps you warm at night? My spouse. The guy/girl I bring home from the club on a given night.

We've outsourced most of our husbandly/wifely duties for economic, technological and social reasons over the past 40 or so years. If you don't love someone, you have no reason to stay with them. If you don't like being with someone, you have no reason to stay with them.

If you're poor, you're stressed all the time, tired all the time and arguing about money all the time. That doesn't make you want to be with someone and could very well make you despise them over time.

Why would a working-class/underclass father bother to stick around? He has no way to provide for his family in any meaningful way.

That is of course a problem that is behind the breakup of families - but it must be remembered: money and material goods isn't everything. Just because someone is not making enough money to provide financial security does not mean they are worthless to their families, even if it may feel that way.  I don't buy this idea that people do not have a deep seated need for relational commitment. Society changes and presents different challenges, but nature and nurture (in its original, intimate sense) are still integral to human development.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 05:12:41 AM »

According to the progressives, wishing the black community better times is racist if you criticize them in any way, shape, or form.

The point is not the criticism, it is that you are attributing the 'failings' to them, which is absurd.  It is - get this through your head - offensive and stupid to blame powerless people for what has been done to them.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2013, 05:17:50 AM »

Are you stupid? Are you literally f--king stupid? Because you do a really good job of making it very clear that you are off the charts stupid
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 10:00:11 AM »

Guys, go easy on our two yellow avatars. They're from Connecticut and Wauke$ha county, I doubt they've ever met a black irl.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »

Are you stupid? Are you literally f--king stupid? Because you do a really good job of making it very clear that you are off the charts stupid

Didn't you publicly resolve to be polite like 2 weeks ago?
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »

Barfbag, Krazen, Waukesha County, and CTRattlesnake are trolling extra hardcore on this thread. All four of you are complete and utter dunderheads.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »

Jesus you guys are so touchy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2013, 12:18:37 PM by Vasall des Midas »

I too had a dream, Joe
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: