Political Books/Articles Still Worth Reading
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:15:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Political Books/Articles Still Worth Reading
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Political Books/Articles Still Worth Reading  (Read 9157 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 12:29:58 PM »

Sadly I have the feeling it is pretty hard to find in English. Original title is La giornata d'uno scrutatore.

Not sure if it's still in print, but it has certainly been published in English.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 12:57:04 PM »

Sadly I have the feeling it is pretty hard to find in English. Original title is La giornata d'uno scrutatore.

Not sure if it's still in print, but it has certainly been published in English.

Yes I know. I don't know if it is still in print, I think it might be in some volume together with his other short novel from the same period La speculazione edilizia.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 01:46:52 PM »

Yes I know. I don't know if it is still in print, I think it might be in some volume together with his other short novel from the same period La speculazione edilizia.

A quick search has it easily available in English on Amazon, so presumably it can be found from less-evil online retailers too.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 01:57:47 PM »

A quick search has it easily available in English on Amazon, so presumably it can be found from less-evil online retailers too.

Glorious news!
I actually tend to think all online retailers are intrinsically evil, although yes, Amazon is likely the evilest.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020, 09:12:38 PM »

Having been a poll worker at the Italian elections that happened two weeks ago, I cannot not recommend Italo Calvino's The Watcher.

Even though by his own admission it is not actually a political book - its main theme is the meaning of humanity and love - it still has an obvious political perspective. Its main character is a liberal intellectual serving as a PCI poll watcher at a Church-owned nursing home for the most disabled and sick members of society, where patients are apparently routinely tricked into voting DC.

Wait, does that mean “The Journal of the Scrutinizer” or “The Day of the Scrutinizer”? I have a very minor interest in linguistics, but I don’t really know how I would distinguish which meaning the non-native word has, compared to the two native ones.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2020, 04:38:24 AM »

Having been a poll worker at the Italian elections that happened two weeks ago, I cannot not recommend Italo Calvino's The Watcher.

Even though by his own admission it is not actually a political book - its main theme is the meaning of humanity and love - it still has an obvious political perspective. Its main character is a liberal intellectual serving as a PCI poll watcher at a Church-owned nursing home for the most disabled and sick members of society, where patients are apparently routinely tricked into voting DC.

Wait, does that mean “The Journal of the Scrutinizer” or “The Day of the Scrutinizer”? I have a very minor interest in linguistics, but I don’t really know how I would distinguish which meaning the non-native word has, compared to the two native ones.

It means the latter, but "scrutinizer" is either a poll worker or a poll watcher (in this context, a watcher).
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2021, 05:31:17 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2021, 05:41:16 AM by Alcibiades »

Sorry for giving this a bit of a bump, but I had meant to post this earlier in this thread and never got round to doing it.

Even though it might at first glance seem to be of a very specific time, I would strongly recommend The Emerging Republican Majority by Kevin Phillips, published shortly after Nixon’s successful 1968 campaign, which Phillips had worked on. First of all, it is one of the most comprehensive and detailed rundowns of every state and region’s political geography and demographics there is (at least in a historical context), so if you are a geek for that kind of thing, it is an immensely interesting and enjoyable read.

Secondly, it is a book of great historical significance and rather extraordinary prescience. Phillips was not only one of the first people to grasp the now-ubiquitous concept of long-term political trends and see the possibility of a realignment as the New Deal Coalition fell apart and was replaced by a Republican ascendancy, but he gets the vast majority of his predictions right, even those which would take decades to materialise. The only thing he really misses is the possibility that the suburbs would trend Democratic, and thus is just a little optimistic on Republican chances.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies