Let's have a calm, polite and substantial discussion about gender and sex
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 10:45:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Let's have a calm, polite and substantial discussion about gender and sex
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: Let's have a calm, polite and substantial discussion about gender and sex  (Read 20754 times)
Franknburger
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »

I'd also add along the "'socially constructed' vs 'biologically innate' is a false dichotomy" line that given increasing understanding of neuroplasticity it's very possible that social influences can lead to biological differences within an individual's lifetime. Like for example it seems like it'd make sense that if girls are socially pressured away from math beginning in childhood than that would result in physical differences in regions of the brain having to do with mathematical processing by adulthood.
I agree to your general point, but I think your example isn't particular well chosen. Managing (household) finance is part of the traditional female role, even today in the "West" (have a look at any accounting department and you know what I mean). And this role implies pressure of girls towards math - at least towards achieving solid arithmetic competence. Moreover, mathematical competence is neurologically linked to other competences, such as music - and playing an instrument has traditionally been part of "higher daughters" education.
Map reading (->outdoor-oriented->male) might be a much better case to discuss when it comes to neuroplastics -and this Forum's membership structure is making respective gender differences pretty obvious.
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2013, 06:56:27 PM »

Obvs you can believe that people should have the right to say idiotic bullsh!t and still tell them that what they're saying is idiotic bullish!t.

stipulated.

If anything I wrote seems to imply otherwise, then either you misinterpreted it or I was drunk when I posted it or both.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies