NM county officials start issuing SSM licenses; state AG not going to fight it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:06:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NM county officials start issuing SSM licenses; state AG not going to fight it
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NM county officials start issuing SSM licenses; state AG not going to fight it  (Read 691 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »
« edited: August 21, 2013, 07:29:19 PM by Joe Republic »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

New Mexico is the only state in the nation that has neither a legal prohibition or recognition of same-sex marriage.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »

Awesome.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »

Good News.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:20:33 PM »

Good news.

That being said, King is running against Susana Martinez in 2014 and for all of her charisma and moderation; she's never been anything close to liberal on social issues. King is likely going to make this a campaign issue.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »

I am all for SSM but I'm not sure this is the way to do it for the majority of states that don't have it. I worry that if rogue county officials start issuing licenses that legislators in those states will avoid pushing to make it legal it because they can say that it is already happening. And then what if the opposite starts happening and county officials in non-SSM states start refusing to issue licenses (and saying if you fire them they will sue for religious discrimination)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:12:14 AM »

I am all for SSM but I'm not sure this is the way to do it for the majority of states that don't have it. I worry that if rogue county officials start issuing licenses that legislators in those states will avoid pushing to make it legal it because they can say that it is already happening. And then what if the opposite starts happening and county officials in non-SSM states start refusing to issue licenses (and saying if you fire them they will sue for religious discrimination)

NM doesn't have anything prohibiting SSM, so why not?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 12:37:53 AM »

Good news.

That being said, King is running against Susana Martinez in 2014 and for all of her charisma and moderation; she's never been anything close to liberal on social issues. King is likely going to make this a campaign issue.

While I have explored the possibility and am honored to hear my name mentioned, I don't feel I am ready to serve the fine people of New Mexico in this capacity just yet.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 01:17:53 AM »

Good news.

While I have explored the possibility and am honored to hear my name mentioned, I don't feel I am ready to serve the fine people of New Mexico in this capacity just yet.

Plus you have a blue av
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 01:41:07 AM »

NM is an unique situation. The law never states than the married people is a man and a woman. It's perfectly gender-neutral.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 03:53:51 AM »

This is really beautiful, actually.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 07:39:08 AM »

Murica.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 02:35:16 AM »

Arguments have been heard, and the general consensus from both sides is that there's no way the New Mexico Supreme Court won't legalize gay marriage state wide.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies