Why are there no Jewish homophobes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:27:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why are there no Jewish homophobes?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why are there no Jewish homophobes?  (Read 2317 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »

Jews don't prioritize the gay issue.  they're some combination of Democrats by ethnic habit / rabid Zionists, not mutually exclusive.  "I've never met a Jewish Jew", so says my born-again friend, and he's not wrong; go to Brooklyn on Saturday and you'll meet a few, but as a rule, the Law is not kept.

Depends where in Brooklyn.  Round where I live, you can see the Law being kept pretty often.

Homophobia is sort of different in New York City though.  Religious fundamentalists do not control the political or social power structure of the city.  So, there isn't the manufactured outrage about gay marriage, the homosexual lifestyle or sinful behavior in the public square. 

Instead, homophobia is expressed through physical intimidation, threats, assaults and anti-gay hate crimes.  And this homophobic conduct is less religion based and more based on socio-economic status and race.  So, from that understanding of homophobia, orthodox Jews are actually fairly tolerant.

I'm sure they're relatively tolerant of non-Jews being gay, but within the community there is quite a great deal of repression, as the city's power structure is rather less relevant to them than the power structure of their insular community.  Though of course there are many more flavors of Orthodox than outsiders are usually aware of, and I'm sure some groups are better than others.  But I'd expect that it's near universal among Hasidic and Haredi communities that one is expected to marry young and start a family, and there is intense pressure to remain in the closet.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 07:52:49 PM »

Jews don't prioritize the gay issue.  they're some combination of Democrats by ethnic habit / rabid Zionists, not mutually exclusive.  "I've never met a Jewish Jew", so says my born-again friend, and he's not wrong; go to Brooklyn on Saturday and you'll meet a few, but as a rule, the Law is not kept.

Don't the Orhtodox ones segregate themselves in their own neighbourhoods?

Only some of them. Those are the ones frequently called "ultra-orthodox", from what I can tell.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »

There are plenty of them, but being 1% of the population or so does not give you the biggest or loudest voice.  Plus, for the Orthodox Jews, doesn't the Middle East/Israel situation seem all the more pressing?  That mostly what I've seen them talk about. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »

There are plenty of them, but being 1% of the population or so does not give you the biggest or loudest voice.  Plus, for the Orthodox Jews, doesn't the Middle East/Israel situation seem all the more pressing?  That mostly what I've seen them talk about. 

Depends whether you're talking Modern Orthodox (your Joe Lieberman types) or the Hasidic/Haredim population (which are the groups that self-segregate, wear distinctive "plain" dress, etc.)  The Modern Orthodox don't really care about gay marriage that much.  The Hasidic and Haredim communities care about it a lot (remember NY Jew?), and we can thank that fact for the career of former Congressman Bob Turner.  Funnily enough, a lot of the ultra-Orthodox are actually anti-Zionist for various religious reasons- they don't accept the legitimacy of a secular Jewish state in that region- which is why those communities are exempt from the draft in Israel.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2013, 11:03:09 AM by post-rock influenced post-emo indie rock »

There aren't very many Haredim in the old seat Bob Turner was elected in. It might've included part of the south/east end of Borough Park, but that would still be a very small percentage of the district.  Most of the Jewish Republicans there were older traditional Orthodox types who nonertheless where not fond of gay marriage.

Also Dov Hikind was not exactly non-vocal about the gay marriage bill.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 11:15:42 AM »

There aren't very many Haredim in the old seat Bob Turner was elected in. It might've included part of the south/east end of Borough Park, but that would still be a very small percentage of the district.  Most of the Jewish Republicans there were older traditional Orthodox types who nonertheless where not fond of gay marriage.

Also Dov Hikind was not exactly non-vocal about the gay marriage bill.

Boro Park is not the only ultra-Orthodox neighborhood in southern Brooklyn- Turner's district included a lot of Midwood, which is similar (if not nearly so monolithic).

But, sure, a lot of that vote was from homophobic but decidedly non-Orthodox areas such as Brighton Beach.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »

Depends whether you're talking Modern Orthodox (your Joe Lieberman types) or the Hasidic/Haredim population (which are the groups that self-segregate, wear distinctive "plain" dress, etc.)  The Modern Orthodox don't really care about gay marriage that much.  The Hasidic and Haredim communities care about it a lot (remember NY Jew?), and we can thank that fact for the career of former Congressman Bob Turner.  Funnily enough, a lot of the ultra-Orthodox are actually anti-Zionist for various religious reasons- they don't accept the legitimacy of a secular Jewish state in that region- which is why those communities are exempt from the draft in Israel.

Them.  And I was defining the "Middle East/Israel" situation as quite broad.  For, against, moderate, crazy... whenever I see one of the Hasidic Jews strongly expressing an opinion, it has SOMETHING to do with Holy Wars/promised lands/God's plan for the region/etc. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 12:37:06 PM »

Turner also, you know, won a lot of votes from people who aren't Jewish and clearly trailed amongst Jewish voters in the Queens section of the district.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 06:17:19 AM »

We went this long without anyone pointing out that Judaism doesn't evangelise? As in, they don't seek converts.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 07:50:43 AM »

We went this long without anyone pointing out that Judaism doesn't evangelise? As in, they don't seek converts.

That may be true, but you never see Jews run homophobic campaigns, support conversion therapy, or anger at states that pass marriage equality.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies