Why are there no Jewish homophobes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:09:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why are there no Jewish homophobes?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why are there no Jewish homophobes?  (Read 2316 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »

Seriously. If Leviticus is the part everyone is citing, and that's a part of the Jewish text too, then why are there no Jews promoting homophobia?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 05:52:14 PM »

There are.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »

The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »

Then why do we never hear about them?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »

Because the Jews are a very small % of the population and Orthodox Jews seem to avoid the media unlike evangelicals.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »

Because the Jews are a very small % of the population and Orthodox Jews seem to avoid the media unlike evangelicals.

Which raises another question... why are evangelical Christians the only religion in America whose followers preach publicly and others' do not?  Are other religions afraid of being persecuted?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »

I guess NY Jew has already faded from the forum's collective memory...
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »

What was he like?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »

Which raises another question... why are evangelical Christians the only religion in America whose followers preach publicly and others' do not?  Are other religions afraid of being persecuted?
The DEFINITION of Evangelical is someone who preaches to the public. That is literally the definition.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 07:33:22 PM »

Homophobia is strongly tied to having an identity that unreasonably values manliness.  That's why most homophobia comes from men and is directed at gay men versus gay women.  It's also why in cultures that value machismo, lesbianism is tolerated to a much greater extent than male homosexuality.  For example, in the American black community you see many more out lesbians than gay men.

Jews historically lack a culture of machismo.  Jewish men tend to ground their identity in education, career and family versus being tough and masculine.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2013, 07:47:23 PM by Scott »

The DEFINITION of Evangelical is someone who preaches to the public. That is literally the definition.

Good point.  Still, it just seems weird to me that no other religion is really known for its... unique outreach techniques.  Jews and Muslims think their religion is just as true as Christians think theirs is, but they aren't usually prone to preach.

EDIT: Actually, I think the word you're thinking of is "evangelist," which means one who seeks to convert others to the Christian faith by preaching.  "Evangelical" means "to be rooted in the gospels."
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 08:00:03 PM »

Thanks for reminding me. Now get the soap so I can wash it back away.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »

Jews historically lack a culture of machismo.  Jewish men tend to ground their identity in education, career and family versus being tough and masculine.

This is extremely false -- Israel is among the most militarized First World countries and there was a long history of reaction to oppression that led to that condition even before the start of the Arab-Israeli conflict.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »

This is extremely false -- Israel is among the most militarized First World countries and there was a long history of reaction to oppression that led to that condition even before the start of the Arab-Israeli conflict.

I don't see how that conflicts at all with what I said.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 09:42:34 PM »

Most of them do preach publicly, you just hear about them less. Evangelicals are a huge group. The only other group of comparable size is the Catholic church and the media has a host of other stuff to cover on them. The media like any other business has to prioritize and people just aren't that interested in Orthodox Judaism or Mormonism's views on theological issues for the most part.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 09:49:42 PM »

Jews don't prioritize the gay issue.  they're some combination of Democrats by ethnic habit / rabid Zionists, not mutually exclusive.  "I've never met a Jewish Jew", so says my born-again friend, and he's not wrong; go to Brooklyn on Saturday and you'll meet a few, but as a rule, the Law is not kept.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »

Jews don't prioritize the gay issue.  they're some combination of Democrats by ethnic habit / rabid Zionists, not mutually exclusive.  "I've never met a Jewish Jew", so says my born-again friend, and he's not wrong; go to Brooklyn on Saturday and you'll meet a few, but as a rule, the Law is not kept.

Don't the Orhtodox ones segregate themselves in their own neighbourhoods?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 09:55:42 PM »

How quickly we forget!

Depends where in Brooklyn.  Round where I live, you can see the Law being kept pretty often.

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 10:24:55 PM »

Depends where in Brooklyn.  Round where I live, you can see the Law being kept pretty often.

Homophobia is sort of different in New York City though.  Religious fundamentalists do not control the political or social power structure of the city.  So, there isn't the manufactured outrage about gay marriage, the homosexual lifestyle or sinful behavior in the public square. 

Instead, homophobia is expressed through physical intimidation, threats, assaults and anti-gay hate crimes.  And this homophobic conduct is less religion based and more based on socio-economic status and race.  So, from that understanding of homophobia, orthodox Jews are actually fairly tolerant.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2013, 11:17:26 PM by post-rock influenced post-emo indie rock »

He accused every single person who disagreed with him as an anti-Semite and claimed that liberal Jews were equivalent to Nazi supporters. He got banned after a rampage of personal attacks and claiming that Jews voting for the Democratic Party and for Obama is no different than voting for Nazis.

Good point.  Still, it just seems weird to me that no other religion is really known for its... unique outreach techniques.  Jews and Muslims think their religion is just as true as Christians think theirs is, but they aren't usually prone to preach.

EDIT: Actually, I think the word you're thinking of is "evangelist," which means one who seeks to convert others to the Christian faith by preaching.  "Evangelical" means "to be rooted in the gospels."

That's actually a key distinction, since one could argue that all churches are evangelical (aside from perhaps the Amish and a few other very insular groups) because they all have outreach programs and seek converts. But stating instead "all churches are evangelist" kind of sidesteps this confusion.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 12:41:09 AM »

Jews, especially American jews are generally reluctant to persecute other minorities, for very obvious reasons. They were big in the Civil Rights movement, for instance, and almost universally support what the right may call "amnesty".

Though I do seem to remember something about a certain New Jersey rabbi/congressional candidate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shmuley_Boteach
Yep, Shmuley Boteach: kosher sex guy.
Though he does support civil unions, so I don't think he qualifies.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 08:26:32 AM »

There are some especially within the Hasidic sect. Most Jews are very accepting, successful, and hospitable people who are great at managing money. It's a nice family oriented religion.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 09:05:53 AM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »

Most Jews are very accepting, successful, and hospitable people who are great at managing money. It's a nice family oriented religion.

lol
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »

Most Jews are very accepting, successful, and hospitable people who are great at managing money. It's a nice family oriented religion.

lol

Well, you have to admit, the son has managed to gain a lot more customers than the father ever did, but then the father prefers to have a special relationship with his old faithful customers.  Also when the son went into the family business, most of his father's customers chose to continue dealing with dad and so the son had to seek out new customers.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies