What RL moments make you think, "yup, I frequent uselectionatlas.org"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:57:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What RL moments make you think, "yup, I frequent uselectionatlas.org"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What RL moments make you think, "yup, I frequent uselectionatlas.org"?  (Read 3797 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »

had an argument with a dude at a train station in June over what states Dukakis won in 1988.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 01:12:07 PM »

Whenever somebody makes a cringeworthy factual error about history or politics.

Haha, yes.  I recently overheard some people discussing the last election; both were Obama supporters, and one of them claimed that Obama had won Texas.  The other person was of course like, "yeah I know, that was so cool!"

I'll also just leave this here: http://www.theonion.com/articles/group-of-friends-engage-in-passionate-incoherent-d,33500/
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 05:21:13 PM »

My school's trivia team was asked to name the obscure losers of a bunch of random long-ago presidential elections...and I got them all right.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »

I have a favorite Senator + Representative.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »

Whenever I travel or talk to someone about a geographic area I have in the back of my mind some construct of the politics of the area. I make a mental guess of acquaintances' political views from their demographics. When someone mentions a state I immediately think of its congressional map, what changes were made in the last round of redistricting, and what parts of the state are the base areas for each party.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 01:36:12 AM »

Whenever I travel or talk to someone about a geographic area I have in the back of my mind some construct of the politics of the area. I make a mental guess of acquaintances' political views from their demographics. When someone mentions a state I immediately think of its congressional map, what changes were made in the last round of redistricting, and what parts of the state are the base areas for each party.

I met some guy from the Ukraine a while ago, and my first thought for a next question was, "the orange half or the blue half?"
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 07:44:56 AM »

The fact that not only is it basically impossible for me to hear about a county without thinking of/wondering how it votes, I can't even hear about foreign locales without wondering the same.

So it just not me? Tongue
The first thing I do when I look up a place I've never heard about before, is how it votes.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »

Saw an Oklahoma license plate today and thought of Bushie Tongue
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »

I met some guy from the Ukraine a while ago, and my first thought for a next question was, "the orange half or the blue half?"
I nearly asked a co-worker of Ukrainian ascent that the other day. I ended up asking just about the Russian-speaking or Ukrainian-speaking part.

To answer the question : I sometimes refer to random people as "FF" or "HP" in my mind. Not out loud yet.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 12:40:10 AM »

I'm also not able to watch TV shows and movies that mention fictional elections without wondering what the maps look like.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 02:57:21 PM »

I'm also not able to watch TV shows and movies that mention fictional elections without wondering what the maps look like.

This, and I absolutely hate it when the maps don't make sense.

Also, the opposing team had to answer three questions about James Garfield's administration at the regional quiz bowl a few months ago, and got them all wrong, but my friend and I were killing ourselves because we knew all of them.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 03:27:42 PM »

Also, the opposing team had to answer three questions about James Garfield's administration at the regional quiz bowl a few months ago, and got them all wrong, but my friend and I were killing ourselves because we knew all of them.

What were the questions?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 03:41:26 PM »

Today I had a real thinker about how addicted I'm to this place when the site was down and I got such abstinence for reading about politics I logged on to the only large Swedish political forum there is, Flashback forum, which is filled with xenophobic idiots and nazis.

And I seriously had to read a post from a guy saying (with no irony) that Reinfeldt, Sweden's Prime Minister, was a worse leader than Saddam Hussein, because at least you knew where you had Hussein while Reinfeldt was pretending to be a democratic good leader, while in the same time being responsible for thousands of murders and rapes because he hasn't stopped immigration. <_<

I was not amused. Makes the most insane trolls on here look timid.     
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »

When I had a lil' panic attack when there was downtime earlier today.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »

A long time ago, the TV show Alien Nation had an election night episode, in which 38 states had to approve the Newcomer Rights Amendment.  It cleared the 30-state threshold but failed to reach the required number.

I've actually made a couple half-hearted attempts to find the map shown on the show, if there was one.  My sense, based on a 20-year-old memory, is that it was a pretty random collection of states for and against.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 07:45:58 PM »

I make a game of guessing people's political and ideological affiliations based on their demographics and demeanor. Going to the mall is always fun, even without sales.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »

Schooled a co-worker on some of the specifics of the 1992 Presidential election yesterday. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »

A long time ago, the TV show Alien Nation had an election night episode, in which 38 states had to approve the Newcomer Rights Amendment.  It cleared the 30-state threshold but failed to reach the required number.

I've actually made a couple half-hearted attempts to find the map shown on the show, if there was one.  My sense, based on a 20-year-old memory, is that it was a pretty random collection of states for and against.

2004 film The Manchurian Candidate had this map:

(Gray = undecided, too small to see, or not shown)

Soooo... yeah.  WTF
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »

West Wing had a pretty bad one for their 2006 election, although not that bad:

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 11:42:54 PM »

Saw an Oklahoma license plate today and thought of Bushie Tongue

Sad
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »

Schooled a co-worker on some of the specifics of the 1992 Presidential election yesterday.  

Reminds me that I found myself telling work mates about the Tories post-Thatcher urban demise last week.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 04:55:02 PM »

What were the questions?

I can't remember the exact questions, but the answers were Charles Guiteau, Chester Arthur, and James G. Blaine.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2013, 10:41:23 PM »

... and imagining those maps with blue for Republicans and red for Democrats.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2013, 08:11:43 AM »

West Wing had a pretty bad one for their 2006 election, although not that bad:

Well, to be fair, the Democrat was from Texas, and the Republican was a moderate Republican, and was from California, but that doesn't explain Vermont or South Carolina.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2013, 12:05:18 AM »

I used the word "uppity" to describe someone today and immediately thought of the Simfan thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies