Scott DesJarlais tells girl her father has to be deported; TP crowd cheers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 02:09:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Scott DesJarlais tells girl her father has to be deported; TP crowd cheers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Scott DesJarlais tells girl her father has to be deported; TP crowd cheers  (Read 3808 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »

Illegal immigrants are by definition criminals.

So?  People who helped fugitive slaves escape were "criminals" too.  People who refused to go to Vietnam and massacre civilians were "criminals" too. 

Whether or not something is illegal has no bearing on whether it's morally correct. If the law is morally wrong, then you should break it.
Morality is sadly a subjective concept. And illegal immigration is not slavery. They have a choice to enter the country-the slaves and draftees didn't have a choice. It’s not comparable.

Or starve to death in Mexico?  Nice choice. 

Starve to death Mexico? There's a lot of bad choice for Mexican illegals, but the alternative is not starvation, but rather just general poverty.

I don't see too much of a difference.  Point is taken, but let's be metaphoric, then.  Starved of good times and happy feelings.  Either way, the incentive to come on over is very, very high. 

Of course it is, but large scale immigration especially of people with little education have both a price and benefits, and it's mostly poor American who pay the direct price, while the rich and middle class who gain the direct benefits. So it's quite legitimate to discuss whether immigration should be limited. Of course at the same time it should be discussed whether it's fair to deport the illegal who are in the country, when USA de facto have embraced a "look the other" way policy for decades.

Education and job policy that seeks to benefit from and help the influx of people from Mexico would solve many of the problems that poors face when people cross into the U.S. 

I'm not sure what you're talking about, right now illegal immigration create a large surplus of low income wage, which mean that the wages for low income job have been kept down, resulting in the poorest White having to work for a wage which inflation increasingly hollow out, while poor African Americans on the other hand are replaced in unskilled jobs by Mexicans. I'm not sure what policy could change that except limiting the labour supply.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »

How would he have done this?  Can a state legislator assure that someone who is here illegally under federal law will not be deported? 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 11:04:06 AM »

So?  People who helped fugitive slaves escape were "criminals" too.  People who refused to go to Vietnam and massacre civilians were "criminals" too. 

Whether or not something is illegal has no bearing on whether it's morally correct. If the law is morally wrong, then you should break it.
Morality is sadly a subjective concept. And illegal immigration is not slavery. They have a choice to enter the country-the slaves and draftees didn't have a choice. It’s not comparable.

Starve to death Mexico? There's a lot of bad choice for Mexican illegals, but the alternative is not starvation, but rather just general poverty.

I don't see too much of a difference.  Point is taken, but let's be metaphoric, then.  Starved of good times and happy feelings.  Either way, the incentive to come on over is very, very high. 

Of course it is, but large scale immigration especially of people with little education have both a price and benefits, and it's mostly poor American who pay the direct price, while the rich and middle class who gain the direct benefits. So it's quite legitimate to discuss whether immigration should be limited. Of course at the same time it should be discussed whether it's fair to deport the illegal who are in the country, when USA de facto have embraced a "look the other" way policy for decades.

Education and job policy that seeks to benefit from and help the influx of people from Mexico would solve many of the problems that poors face when people cross into the U.S. 

I'm not sure what you're talking about, right now illegal immigration create a large surplus of low income wage, which mean that the wages for low income job have been kept down, resulting in the poorest White having to work for a wage which inflation increasingly hollow out, while poor African Americans on the other hand are replaced in unskilled jobs by Mexicans. I'm not sure what policy could change that except limiting the labour supply.

EDUCATE IMMIGRANTS!  C'mon now.  You are correct... illegals hardly ever qualify for more than low-wage labor jobs.  Further integration into better paying jobs means we have an influx of POPULATION rather than an influx of POORS.  
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 11:14:09 AM »

EDUCATE IMMIGRANTS!  C'mon now.  You are correct... illegals hardly ever qualify for more than low-wage labor jobs.  Further integration into better paying jobs means we have an influx of POPULATION rather than an influx of POORS.  

I think the average illegal immigrant is incredible badly geared to become formal educated, most of them have to finance a family at home so they have a hard time setting the time off for this experiment, and the education they have received at home make them badly geared toward a higher education. Honestly if you can't get half of African Americans through high school, I personal doubt you will succeed in sending millions of illegal immigrants, many who barely speak English, through your higher education system.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 11:16:07 AM »

I think the average illegal immigrant is incredible badly geared to become formal educated, most of them have to finance a family at home so they have a hard time setting the time off for this experiment, and the education they have received at home make them badly geared toward a higher education. Honestly if you can't get half of African Americans through high school, I personal doubt you will succeed in sending millions of illegal immigrants, many who barely speak English, through your higher education system.

So what's your idea, then?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »

So what's your idea, then?
Here's what I would do.

General amnesty, the million of illegal in USA will not go home, people can just as well recognise that.

When begin to enforce the law harder, better border control and mass deportations. At the same time I would begin to punish people harshly who hire illegals, at the same time I would raise the minimum wage as it would lower the benefits of hiring illegals; most businesses pay illegasl minimum wage, because if they do not, they have more or less admitted that they knew the people wasn't legal in the country, and I would make the punishment serious in financial terms.

The problem right now is that it's only the illegal who pay the price, if it discovered that they're in the country, the people hiring them usual only get a symbolic punishment, and if you want to get rid of illegal immigration, the root of the problem is the one who hires illegals, not the the people who illegal immigrate into USA.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 11:29:09 AM »

What a disgusting piece of sh[inks]
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »

Why do politicians insist on using kids as political tools
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 11:33:50 AM »

Why do politicians insist on using kids as political tools

First off this is a special interest group who used children, and as for the answer because it's efficient, it's really for the other side to avoid looking like asshole, when you use a child.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 11:35:02 AM »

I know our government is supposed to be one of laws and not of men, but are laws made for men or are men made for laws, ChairmanSanchez?
Most illegals are here only to work and send the money out of the country.

Actually, in addition to consumer spending, immigrants and their businesses contribute over $1.5 billion in tax revenue to the Federal, state, and local governments.  Immigrants have to pay taxes whether they're documented or not.

For the record, I'm not saying illegal immigration should be encouraged or that we should stick to the status quo, but simply deporting people who want to make an honest living for themselves and support their families isn't going to help anyone, especially when innocent children are affected.  I think that when someone breaks a law, we need to consider their needs and intentions before we persecute or prosecute them.

Basically this.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »

Part of the problem here is the probable reason the girl has papers but her father does not, that we give birthright citizenship to the children of those here illegally.  Were it not for that, father and daughter could be deported together, which while not an optimum solution, is certainly better than deporting the father and having to scramble for some sort of way to care for the kid once her parents have been stripped from her.

Of course, the solution to the illegal immigration problem is not to deport them all.  We have to make America into even more of a police state than it already is for that to possibly be a feasible solution. Even if it be feasible, it isn't desirable, as I don't want to replace the War on Drugs with a War on Durangos.  What is needed is to end the incentives employers have to hire illegal immigrants.  A solution to the immigration problem must be targeted towards employers.
Jordan
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -9.74

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »

Just remember everyone, a government that has the power to keep others from entering also has the power to keep you from leaving.
hopper
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »

DesJarlis was just telling her the way it is unfortunately. He could have went said we are trying to get immigration reform but that's not gonna sell in TN. I don't think the crowd should have cheered but hey its The South.
Link
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2013, 01:16:10 PM »

I know our government is supposed to be one of laws and not of men, but are laws made for men or are men made for laws, ChairmanSanchez?

So if any criminal can find some 11 year girl to present their case we have to let them go.

Did you see the part where the crowd of grown men and women cheered at the thought of an 11 year old girls family being torn apart?  Where were you raised?

Regardless of what is legal or "right" there is nothing to cheer about with this issue.  The immigration debate is a complicated topic.  But it's disgusting to watch a room full of people cheer the idea of an American citizens father being thrown out of the country.

Those people are animals.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2013, 01:26:20 PM »

So if any criminal can find some 11 year girl to present their case we have to let them go.

Did you see the part where the crowd of grown men and women cheered at the thought of an 11 year old girls family being torn apart?  Where were you raised?

Regardless of what is legal or "right" there is nothing to cheer about with this issue.  The immigration debate is a complicated topic.  But it's disgusting to watch a room full of people cheer the idea of an American citizens father being thrown out of the country.

Perhaps the father should have thought about the implications before he entered the country then, no?
Link
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2013, 01:31:48 PM »

Perhaps the father should have thought about the implications before he entered the country then, no?

I never said the father was right.  But you judge a society by how it treats the weakest and most defenseless.

I don't care if a murder gets convicted.  I wouldn't cheer.  The victim is dead and another life is now wasted.  What is there to cheer about?  And a man coming to America to give his daughter is hardly what I would call a murder.  How do you people sleep at night?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2013, 01:41:06 PM »

I never said the father was right.  But you judge a society by how it treats the weakest and most defenseless.

But this particular group of people don't see this father and daughter as part of their society, which no doubt explains, tho does not excuse, their lack of empathy.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »

seeing the way this is being defended, apparently his pandering to the lowest common denominator is working. Nothing like beating up on the browns to win a GOP nomination. Maybe they will forget about all those abortions he arranged for his wife and mistress.

But I think in the end they will not. It is a test of do they hate the browns more than they love fetuses?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »

Desjarlais is disgusting me...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »

But this particular group of people don't see this father and daughter as part of their society, which no doubt explains, tho does not excuse, their lack of empathy.

Well, yes. These are the same thought patterns that allow people to commit pogroms and genocides.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2013, 02:21:17 PM »

Isn't this the pro-life congressman who cheated on his wife with multiple patients (he's a doctor), and tried to force those mistresses to get abortions?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2013, 02:45:07 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2013, 03:11:47 PM by Emperor SJoyce »

This is from the same group of people who did this and this. Sure, it's disgusting. But it's not surprising in the least. Merely more confirmation that there is a particularly nasty element among the Republican base that cares very little about other people. The funny part is that most of them would self-identify as Christians.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »

Isn't this the pro-life congressman who cheated on his wife with multiple patients (he's a doctor), and tried to force those mistresses to get abortions?

Indeed. Truly "compassionate conservatism".
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »

DesJarlais is hopefully going to lose the primary, because of his own issues.

I clicked on this thread and I expected him to have said something ridiculous to try and distract from his looming problems, but instead all he said was that the law is the law at present.

And you wonder why Republicans don't trust the Democrats to enforce the laws and keep the promises made in some kind of compromise. It isn't because we are racists, it is because you guys are at the end of the day seeking to have the most powerful, and third most populace country in the world operate without any immigration laws that are taken seriously, at any point now or in the future and that is irresponsible.

When does enforcement become common sense again and not politically incorrect or racist? The reason the group cheered, is because they live in a world where if something is common sense you do it, and find it refreshing to a here a politician put what they see as common sense ahead of political correctness and politics.

Part of the problem here is the probable reason the girl has papers but her father does not, that we give birthright citizenship to the children of those here illegally.  Were it not for that, father and daughter could be deported together, which while not an optimum solution, is certainly better than deporting the father and having to scramble for some sort of way to care for the kid once her parents have been stripped from her.

Of course, the solution to the illegal immigration problem is not to deport them all.  We have to make America into even more of a police state than it already is for that to possibly be a feasible solution. Even if it be feasible, it isn't desirable, as I don't want to replace the War on Drugs with a War on Durangos.  What is needed is to end the incentives employers have to hire illegal immigrants.  A solution to the immigration problem must be targeted towards employers.

And how do you do that when one side will always label the next round of enforcement as racist or anti-immigrant? We play the same game every time, the bill always perpetuates the status quo rather than change it and whenever enforcement is tried you have mass protests about the enforcement of a broken system and insisting that it be reformed again before enforcement can occur.

DesJarlis was just telling her the way it is unfortunately. He could have went said we are trying to get immigration reform but that's not gonna sell in TN. I don't think the crowd should have cheered but hey its The South.

If the system wasn't "broken" and he was still illegal under the new provisions, would this representative's answer have been acceptable? That is the key question as to whether or not one is serious about enforcement once it is reformed.

The reason the people cheered is because we now have a country where one party has thrown out ever having a serious immigration policy at any point in the future and the other side thinks that they cannot hold them accountable and stay viable going forward. They cheered because gov't is about making tough decisions, and for once a politician wasn't willing to be cowed on matter that most of them see as common sense. The laws are the laws, enforce them and if you don't like them then change them.

I don't want to split anyone apart. But any country, including ours has limits regardless of history or whatnot, we are not exempt from reality. We have to have a control process by which we regulate who comes in for security reasons as well. That means that you must have laws at some point that get enforced, or you cannot credibly claim to be serious about having an immigration policy at all other then just one of letting in everyone and anyone.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »

This is from the same group of people who did this and this. Sure, it's disgusting. But it's not surprising in the least. Merely more confirmation that there is a particularly nasty element among the Republican base that cares very little about other people. The funny part is that most of them would self-identify as Christians.

These type of Christians identify as such only to make themselves feel better about what nasty, spiteful pieces of [Inks] they are. No matter what they do, how they act, or how they treat people, they can still say "I'm a Christian".  Or it's vice versa... they are a Christian, so they feel like anything they do gets a pass.  This is more common than you think, and is the exact opposite of the Christians that tend to have a positive impact on our society. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies