Seattle removes offensive words 'citizen,' 'brown bag' from vocabulary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:39:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Seattle removes offensive words 'citizen,' 'brown bag' from vocabulary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Seattle removes offensive words 'citizen,' 'brown bag' from vocabulary  (Read 4686 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 07:40:59 AM »

Awful, disgusting, repulsive.

Why would anyone, EVER, attempt to ban speech? Because a small group of people find it offensive? Thats why we have a first amendment anyways.

Every council member who voted for this should consider resignation.

It's terribly sad. We live in a world where we will go against 100 people in order to appease one out of the 100.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 07:44:17 AM »

Also, as far as I'm concerned, anyone who lives anywhere is a citizen of that city/state/country, regardless of what the Government says.

That...seems like an overbroad definition. Was John McCain a citizen of North Vietnam for 6 years?

1. I'm talking about permanent, living residency, not POW residency.

Surely being in one building for six years constitutes living there? And what about (less hostile example) diplomats or peace workers? Are they citizens of the country where they work? What if someone renounces their citizenship of a political entity but continues to live within its geographical boundaries?

Again, I'm a Utopianist, but in my perfect world, there would be no violence or war. Everyone could live wherever they want. There would be no established nations or states.

The McCain example is a bad one. I'm talking about voluntary permanent, living residency.

What our perfect world resembles is largely irrelevant to whether someone falls under the designation of "citizen" or not.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »

Awful, disgusting, repulsive.

Why would anyone, EVER, attempt to ban speech? Because a small group of people find it offensive? Thats why we have a first amendment anyways.

Every council member who voted for this should consider resignation.

You just proved you did not read the article if you think that:

1-Any speech is being banned here and
2-The city council voted on this.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 08:55:40 AM »

Speaking of which, getting in an uproar about the "citizen" part is another good example of reverse political correctness run amock, since it is actually a more accurate term to say "resident". Yes the "brown bag" bit is quite silly.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 09:01:47 AM »

Seattle is the new San Francisco.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Apparently "brown bag" was used by black people 50 years ago to refer to a lighter shade of brother that was more acceptable at certain black people parties and organizations and such.  Primarily in the south.  If this is all the "Office for Civil Rights" is doing, perhaps it's time they close their doors.
I suppose that what is next is that the vendng machines at Seattle government offices will no longer be allowed to sell Oreo cookies and have to carry Hydrox instead.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 09:43:14 AM »

Lots of brown bags running their mouths in this thread. Why don't you shut up and let the citizens discuss this issue with some maturity?

"Maturity" is an over-rated concept in government, typically used by the landed elite that wish to straddle issues to win re-election rather than discuss the actual philosophical and political implications of their governing style. (See: Nelson Rockefeller, John McCain, Henry M. Jackson, etc.)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »

Lots of brown bags running their mouths in this thread. Why don't you shut up and let the citizens discuss this issue with some maturity?

nice job sneaking that ageist language in there at the end.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2013, 12:00:10 PM by Badger »

And methinks that's over 90% of the cause of the uproar. A quintessentially bad bureaucratic decision. Reverse on that (as they should) and it all dies down.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 01:03:32 PM »

Just to be clear, I don't think this is a Big DealTM or "stomping on the Constitution" or whatever.  I just thought it was funny and worthy of being pointed and laughed at.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »

Ever noticed how 99% of the people complaining about "political correctness" or whatnot are straight, white, middle-class males?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »

So what you are trying to say is that is is one of the best places in the country?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »

So what you are trying to say is that is is one of the best places in the country?

Actually, I love Seattle, but every PC bullsh**t idea eminates from the Bay Area.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »

Actually, I love Seattle, but every PC bullsh**t idea eminates from the Bay Area.

"PC"=bullsh*t phrase. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »

"PC"=bullsh*t phrase. Tongue

Ha ha, no.  Wink
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »

people who constantly complain about "political correctness" are 100x more annoying than political correctness
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2013, 04:44:13 PM »

Ever noticed how 99% of the people complaining about "political correctness" or whatnot are straight, white, middle-class males?

you mean on this forum?  I can't imagine why.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 04:49:48 PM »

hyperbole much?
people who constantly complain about "political correctness" are 100x more annoying than political correctness
Same question.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »

Until a conservative Christian male let's me hear the word fuck and see nudity on television, political correctness is not an exclusively liberal thing.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »

Did none of the people freaking out about this read that it's not a ban, and that people are just being encouraged to not use those words?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »

Did none of the people freaking out about this read that it's not a ban, and that people are just being encouraged to not use those words?

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »

Like not calling Native Americans (or whatever else you want to call them) "Indians"?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2013, 03:45:28 PM »

lolfail at this thread.

Surely by now everyone in this thread must realize that they have LOST.  Nobody on this forum who has had anything to do with this thread, whether it is reading it or writing a not at all thought out post, has WON here.  All of you who have at any point in time have had any remote association with this thread and it's subject matter have failed miserably.  Nothing you have ever done in life, and nothing you will ever do in life in the future, and nothing you will do in the past thanks to time travel will ever make up for the failure of this thread.  Right now all of your ancestors and your future descendants are groaning in agony at the crimes and trespasses that you have committed just by being involved in this atrocity.

Once again, ladies and gentlemen of the Jury, it is my duty to point out that everybody in this thread has

EDIT:
. . . . . .  . oh. . . . .  shit, that includes me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »

Seattle's city government is dumb. Now excuse me while I attend to my brown bag (actually more like brown box) lunch.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »

Speaking of which, getting in an uproar about the "citizen" part is another good example of reverse political correctness run amock, since it is actually a more accurate term to say "resident". Yes the "brown bag" bit is quite silly.
I actually agree.  Not to mention if the government addressed something to "citizens" that applied to all residents.  Non-citizen residents might get the wrong impression... so it's a matter of accuracy in language.  If the government needs to address citizens only, then use citizens.  If you're addressing the community at large, use resident.

As for brown bag.. who cares?  It's called "brown bagging" it because you put the food in a brown paper bag.  It has literally NOTHING to do with black people.  And I wouldn't doubt it if no black people were involved in the decision to suggest using "sack lunch" (OH NOES WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE INSECURE ABOUT BEING SACKED IN OUR CRAPPY ECONOMY!!!)

To be fair people here always referred to it as "cold lunch" or "bag lunch"... but we definitely use the term brown baggin' it in that context.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies