Alaska: the new Montana (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:57:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Alaska: the new Montana (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alaska: the new Montana  (Read 660 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« on: August 08, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »

We already have a thread about this. Alaska is too big and has far too much elbow space to ever be contested by either party. It's twice the size of Montana. You mean to tell me that either party is going to spend time and spend money traveling there for 3 Electoral votes? It doesn't have the terrain to become like Delaware or Vermont and the sizes aren't comparable. I see it becoming light red and purplish red if Democrats win by enough. We probably all agree that Alaska will never be a toss up. What else we should agree on is Alaska's trend must continue for this to happen.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:36:02 PM »

We already have a thread about this. Alaska is too big and has far too much elbow space to ever be contested by either party. It's twice the size of Montana. You mean to tell me that either party is going to spend time and spend money traveling there for 3 Electoral votes? It doesn't have the terrain to become like Delaware or Vermont and the sizes aren't comparable. I see it becoming light red and purplish red if Democrats win by enough. We probably all agree that Alaska will never be a toss up. What else we should agree on is Alaska's trend must continue for this to happen.

Alaska may be large in area, but the heavily populated area is not all that spread out.

Also, Montana like Alaska has 3 EV, yet Obama campaigned there in 2008 anyway.

I do agree that if the Democratic nominee wins Alaska, he (or she) would have already gotten 270 EV without it anyway.

Obama campaigning in Montana is not like Alaska. 2008 was a Democratic year and he still lost by a few points. Like I said, purplish red when Democrats win and light red in other elections.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:25:30 PM »

[Obama campaigning in Montana is not like Alaska. 2008 was a Democratic year and he still lost by a few points. Like I said, purplish red when Democrats win and light red in other elections.

I never said that Alaska will be the deciding state in the presidential election.

I said that it will be like what Montana is now. In other words, competitive at the state level (governor, attorney general, etc.), but only winnable for Democratic presidential candidates in very very favorable years.

Yes I agree unless the trend stops.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies