Sextus on the Pyrrhonians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:31:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Sextus on the Pyrrhonians
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sextus on the Pyrrhonians  (Read 495 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:29:21 PM »

I came across this delightful quote from Sextus Empiricus describing Pyrrhonian Skepticism this evening, and am posting it just to share. 

"The Skeptic's experience is, in fact, the same as what is reported about the painter Apelles. For they say that, as he was painting a horse, and trying to represent the foam on its coat, he was so unsuccessful that he gave up and flung at the picture the sponge on which he had been wiping the paints off his brush. And the sponge made the effect of the horse's foam. So too, Skeptics used to hope to get freedom from disturbance through sorting out the discrepancies in impressions and thoughts; but proving unable to do this, they suspended, and as they were suspending, freedom from disturbance, as if by chance, followed them as a shadow follows a body."  --Sextus, Outlines of Pyrrhonianism, 1.25-29.

The quote has given me a new purpose in life.  Yes, you guessed it.  From now on, I'm going to fling sponges.  But, seriously folks, the longer I live, the more appealing skepticism becomes for me. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:21:48 AM »

I came across this delightful quote from Sextus Empiricus describing Pyrrhonian Skepticism this evening, and am posting it just to share. 

"The Skeptic's experience is, in fact, the same as what is reported about the painter Apelles. For they say that, as he was painting a horse, and trying to represent the foam on its coat, he was so unsuccessful that he gave up and flung at the picture the sponge on which he had been wiping the paints off his brush. And the sponge made the effect of the horse's foam. So too, Skeptics used to hope to get freedom from disturbance through sorting out the discrepancies in impressions and thoughts; but proving unable to do this, they suspended, and as they were suspending, freedom from disturbance, as if by chance, followed them as a shadow follows a body."  --Sextus, Outlines of Pyrrhonianism, 1.25-29.

The quote has given me a new purpose in life.  Yes, you guessed it.  From now on, I'm going to fling sponges.  But, seriously folks, the longer I live, the more appealing skepticism becomes for me. 

No responses? I know you're not talking about Jesus stuff which is probably why no one has responded but i'll bite (as a bit of a Hume fan) Pyrrhonnism is a bit less stark that traditional skepticism on the basis that it logically suspends judgment on all things then as a form of inquiry tries to build up each side of an argument as strongly in each sides favour as he can and then determine if he can reasonably choose one side over another and if he cannot make a judgement, suspend his opinion on both positions. It's an interesting way of looking at things and doesn't promote people being intellectually lazy. I certainly used the process subconsciously in my appraisal of my own faith which led to where I stand now, so it has it's benefits if you enjoy self discovery Smiley
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 03:21:19 PM »

Yes, I certainly agree that Pyrrhonnian skepticism is an intellectually rigorous approach and that is one of its greatest virtues.  But you're right, Andrew, I guess a thread initiated with a quote about skepticism is going to get lots of responses on this board--maybe not on a political forum in general.  Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:54:09 PM »

I'm not versed in Pyrrhonian Skepticism. What would be an example of throwing the sponge?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies