Arkansas: Did Obama win Fayetteville?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:35:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Arkansas: Did Obama win Fayetteville?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arkansas: Did Obama win Fayetteville?  (Read 2638 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
« edited: July 31, 2013, 01:05:52 PM by TDAS04 »

I would guess so, but I'm not sure.  Obama lost Washington county by 16%.  I'm pretty sure he lost Springdale, but the college town of Fayetteville is supposed to be a liberal oasis in the region.  However, I'm not certain that Obama even carried Fayetteville because it is mostly white and still Arkansas, and in 2008, even the state's young voters swung against Obama.  This is not an Obama-loving state, obviously.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:02:55 AM »

He won it 52-43. Not much enthusiasm for either candidate, as turnout was only about 40% and third parties got 5%.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »

Yes, he did. Thanks to the conveniently named precincts on the county clerk website, you can tell than Obama did in fact win Fayetteville. The reason Washington County went R was because of the suburban vote. Fayetteville went for Obama because it's home to the University of Arkansas, a major university.

He won it 52-43. Not much enthusiasm for either candidate, as turnout was only about 40% and third parties got 5%.

I think Gary Johnson managed to win a very sparsely populated precinct in the county that only cast one vote.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »

Thank you.

I also just found out that Fayetteville was also one of three Arkansas cities outside of the Delta region that Obama carried in 2008, along with Little Rock and Eureka Springs.  I guess those are the three liberal dots in the state.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:19:45 PM »

Thank you.

I also just found out that Fayetteville was also one of three Arkansas cities outside of the Delta region that Obama carried in 2008, along with Little Rock and Eureka Springs.  I guess those are the three liberal dots in the state.

Eureka springs apparently has a large LGBT population for a town of its size, and its city council has actually passed a resolution endorsing marriage equality.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:03:32 PM »

but the college town of Fayetteville is supposed to be a liberal oases in the region. 

Huh, I was wondering why Washington County was so liberal compared to Benton when they have almost the exact same demographics. Thanks for bringing this up.
ProudNewEnglander
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »

Thank you.

I also just found out that Fayetteville was also one of three Arkansas cities outside of the Delta region that Obama carried in 2008, along with Little Rock and Eureka Springs.  I guess those are the three liberal dots in the state.

Obama actually won several other towns in Arkansas outside of the Delta. He won Malvern (or at least he did in 2012; I assume he therefore won it in 2008 as well). He also won Arkadelphia, which has a university in it. He won the tiny, heavily-black town of Menifee (in Conway County, near Morrillton). He won Prescott, which is 45% black. Also, besides Little Rock, he also won North Little Rock and I believe Jacksonville as well. He probably won some others as well; it depends on how the Delta is defined.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »

but the college town of Fayetteville is supposed to be a liberal oases in the region. 

Huh, I was wondering why Washington County was so liberal compared to Benton when they have almost the exact same demographics. Thanks for bringing this up.
Yeah, but both counties are trending dem.  I expect by 2032 or 2034 they will elect a dem congressman.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 08:47:15 PM »

Yeah, but both counties are trending dem.  I expect by 2032 or 2034 they will elect a dem congressman.

The counties themselves are not trending D, however when you compare to the rest of the state, yes they are. However right now AR-3 is the most solidly republican district in Arkansas, I can't see it going democratic without at least AR-2 going democratic as well, only time will tell.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 07:50:20 AM »

Thank you.

I also just found out that Fayetteville was also one of three Arkansas cities outside of the Delta region that Obama carried in 2008, along with Little Rock and Eureka Springs.  I guess those are the three liberal dots in the state.

Obama actually won several other towns in Arkansas outside of the Delta. He won Malvern (or at least he did in 2012; I assume he therefore won it in 2008 as well). He also won Arkadelphia, which has a university in it. He won the tiny, heavily-black town of Menifee (in Conway County, near Morrillton). He won Prescott, which is 45% black. Also, besides Little Rock, he also won North Little Rock and I believe Jacksonville as well. He probably won some others as well; it depends on how the Delta is defined.

The source that I had read must have been wrong, since there must be a few other areas with large black populations that would vote for Obama.  Anyway, Little Rock, Fayetteville, and Eureka Springs are probably as socially liberal as Arkansas gets.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies