"Full Figured" Woman Kicked Out of Missouri Swimming Pool For Wearing Bikini
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:12:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  "Full Figured" Woman Kicked Out of Missouri Swimming Pool For Wearing Bikini
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Full Figured" Woman Kicked Out of Missouri Swimming Pool For Wearing Bikini  (Read 9611 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2013, 08:31:50 PM »

A full figured (that is how the media is describing her) woman was asked to put shorts over her bikini bottoms and when she refused, was asked to leave a Missouri water park. She had just lost 100 pounds (100 pounds!!!!) and was confident in her new figure and wanted to show it off. Supposedly she was showing too much skin with her 'tiny' bikini bottom, yet as she pointed out younger girls had nearly identical bottoms on their bottoms. It is apparenlty up to the management's (who seem to be all male) discretion to decide who can wear what at this water park...

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/05/1221423/--Full-Figured-Woman-Kicked-Out-of-Missouri-Swimming-Pool-For-Wearing-Bikini?detail=email

_______

Obviously a violation of her rights (though not surprising), but I don't even find the photo repulsive.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »

I think the management would have made the right call if the bikini really was too small. By the looks of the picture provided, it does not. Sad story, but I don't see any real grounds for a lawsuit. I hope the public outcry will be enough to hurt the water park more than any lawsuit.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 12:04:25 AM »

Classical American prudery at work !

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Inks is the manager of this water park.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:23:32 AM »

They had a problem with her bikini bottom, to properly judge, I'm going to need to see her bottom. Wink

Honestly, I was expecting a 300lb whale, but that woman, while big, isn't disgusting at all.  I'd probably hit it.  I like a little meat on my bone.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 12:47:58 AM »

Full-figured? Looks like a decent weight to me, and I don't see any problem with the bikini. Sounds like more of a case of the prude brood coming after her than discrimination.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 12:07:41 PM »

The bikini top is certainly two small, but the bottom is whats in question.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 12:28:26 PM »

Honestly, I was expecting a 300lb whale, but that woman, while big, isn't disgusting at all.  I'd probably hit it.  I like a little meat on my bone.

So there is no distinction in your mind between 'full-figured' and 'obese'?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »

sigh...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »

So there is no distinction in your mind between 'full-figured' and 'obese'?
There is in my mind, but I was assuming there wasn't in the story...if that makes sense.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »

Her tits are the full figured one.  It's just another day of prudery in the Bad Place™
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 08:02:34 PM »

You can't even see the region in question in the photo. Which is probably for the best. Those young girls with identical suits probably weren't bursting out of theirs. People try to squeeze into too small swimsuits (and clothes) all the time. If the park went through all the trouble of asking her to cover up, there almost certainly was a serious problem with what she was wearing.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 09:36:05 PM »

Classical American prudery at work !

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Inks is the manager of this water park.

Can hardly be prudery when it's selective - unless you're implying it's nothing of the sort...
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 03:43:12 PM »

This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 06:47:57 PM »

-coughs- SEXISM -coughs-
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »

Should a man go to the water park wearing only a condom and a rubber glove to cover...ugh..the rest, should he not be kicked out?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 07:12:53 PM »

I saw the picture.  I've seen much worse cottage cheese in our local waterpark.  Anyway, none of this surprises me.  The people who work at pools and waterparks are Nazis.  All of them.  Every pool or waterpark I've been to is the same.  I've never met a lifeguard who wasn't a self-important, power hungry, jackbooted fascist.  I get the whistle blown at me at least once every time we go, and we go about three times per week.  Oh, you can't go down the slide head first!  Wait, don't dive off the diving board till those children get out of the pit!  Sir, can you please stop doing that!  The diving platforms are only for the swim team!  Stop splashing!  Stop running!  Put that water hose down!

Jeezus H. Christ.  Relax, will ya?

These people are basically cops, but worse, because they don't even need batons or guns to bully people.  They can do it clad in nothing but a bit of lycra.  That's impressive.  

My favorite sign at a public pool, beach, or water park is "SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK.  NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY."  

Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »

Should a man go to the water park wearing only a condom and a rubber glove to cover...ugh..the rest, should he not be kicked out?

Or a speedo?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »

Or a speedo?
Speedos are nasty, but I think they are too common place to make a good comparison.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »

Whereas bikini's aren't?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »

Most overweight women I know tend to avoid bikinis...this woman in this case doesn't look like she is breaking any rules, besides the top being a bit too small.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 09:30:13 PM »

I saw the picture.  I've seen much worse cottage cheese in our local waterpark.  Anyway, none of this surprises me.  The people who work at pools and waterparks are Nazis.  All of them.  Every pool or waterpark I've been to is the same.  I've never met a lifeguard who wasn't a self-important, power hungry, jackbooted fascist.  I get the whistle blown at me at least once every time we go, and we go about three times per week.  Oh, you can't go down the slide head first!  Wait, don't dive off the diving board till those children get out of the pit!  Sir, can you please stop doing that!  The diving platforms are only for the swim team!  Stop splashing!  Stop running!  Put that water hose down!

Jeezus H. Christ.  Relax, will ya?

These people are basically cops, but worse, because they don't even need batons or guns to bully people.  They can do it clad in nothing but a bit of lycra.  That's impressive.  

My favorite sign at a public pool, beach, or water park is "SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK.  NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY."  

Blame the lawyers. One "negligent" incident could shut down their entire operation.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 09:53:23 PM »

Most overweight women I know tend to avoid bikinis...this woman in this case doesn't look like she is breaking any rules, besides the top being a bit too small.

The fact of the matter is there's no way an overweight man in a speedo would be kicked out - and that's the real comparison here. Not some nonsense about a condom, as if the woman's not wearing everyday swimwear, but something she's devised herself.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 10:16:14 PM »

The fact of the matter is there's no way an overweight man in a speedo would be kicked out - and that's the real comparison here. Not some nonsense about a condom, as if the woman's not wearing everyday swimwear, but something she's devised herself.
The condom and rubber glove was a size comparison. Again, not saying that this woman in particular was wearing something way too small, but I have seen several women at my local beach in bikini's so small in comparison to their weight that it exposes their backsides more than anyone wants to see. Most fat men in speedos usually have their schlongs covered, unless its some monster thing that hangs out.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 04:56:19 AM »

You don't get to tell fat women how they want to dress. You don't necessarily have to look.

Geez what an intolerant heck of a country you have !
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 08:55:12 AM »

Yeah, just as LB said, if this were a 250 pound man wearing a speedo, he would not have even been approached. The problem was that she did not fit the societal standard of what a woman should look like in a bikini. She wasn't disgustingly, oh-god-look-at-her-ribs thin. And that's a problem apparently. We're bringing up kids to think "fat is gross" instead of "some people like to eat or have metabolism problems and that's okay and it doesn't make them disgusting"

Just the same as we bring kids up to think "A woman is showing skin? Well she's just ASKING to get raped" instead of the revolutionary idea that a man should never ever ever under any circumstance ever attempt to have sex with a woman without her consent

This is a case of sexism because a woman must look a certain way in order to wear a type of swimsuit. A man just has to be wearing something and that's okay.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies