Online dating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 06:51:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Online dating
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Online dating  (Read 2056 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2013, 10:05:30 PM »

Anyone else tried this?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »

Didn't you claim you were asexual?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

How did it work out for you?

And no, I haven't tried it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »

What the hell? I asked if anyone had tried it.

I am, but I'm still looking for a relationship. It's not like I can't perform sex for someone else's benefit, even if I myself am not enjoying it. I'll admit it's a sensitive topic.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 10:50:22 PM »

Mostly young guys on here, Beet, so I think many have tried it.  I'm not so young, but I've tried it too.  Had some success, but on the whole I didn't like it--I found it much trickier than initially getting to know someone in person.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 10:53:37 PM »

I am, but I'm still looking for a relationship. It's not like I can't perform sex for someone else's benefit, even if I myself am not enjoying it. I'll admit it's a sensitive topic.

You said anyone else so it sounded like you were included in that. Sorry?

Are you referring to the sort of online dating sites my post parodies, or getting to know someone more through Facebook or Instagram?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 10:56:59 PM »

You said anyone else so it sounded like you were included in that. Sorry?

Are you referring to the sort of online dating sites my post parodies, or getting to know someone more through Facebook or Instagram?

Well yes, I am just starting to try it now, although I hope this thread is more about others' experiences since I haven't had many yet.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:06:49 PM »

Mostly young guys on here, Beet, so I think many have tried it.

Do that many college age people actually use those dating sites?  Seems like it's much more common among those who are a bit older, since in college there are already a large number of single members of the desired sex in your geographic vicinity.  I think everyone I know personally who used online dating sites (that I know of....certainly there must be some who may have done so without telling me) was over 25.....maybe even over 30, but I'd have to think about it.

And of course, there are also many here who are still in high school, so they presumably haven't used such sites either.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 12:18:41 AM »

Eh. Meeting someone online and ending up dating is one thing, but I tend to avoid dating websites. I tend to avoid meeting people solely for the sake of romance anyway, online or not.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:38:10 AM »

I've never used a service, but I did bang some chicks after meeting them on the internet.  Hell, I first met the wife at a "real life" party for a local chat room, but we didn't "meet" on the internet.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 05:38:50 AM »

Beware of the now famous catfishing problems Beet. 
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 06:21:37 AM »

I met my partner online, but I wasn't looking. My sister met her husband online. My dad and stepmother, my mother in law and her partner, my father in law and his partner, my uncle and aunt, they all met online. So.. it can work.

As for specific advice for specific dating sites, I cannot help. But, yes, it's worth a shot. Just be careful, be yourself, be honest, all of that obvious stuff. And talk a lot before you meet face to face, and when you do, do it in a public space.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 09:23:02 AM »

Great story barfbag!  Back in the nineties when i was about 26 I had a girlfriend who was.... lets just say I could have been in trouble that first year of our relationship!  We were together (mostly) for four years!

But about internet datings, no I have never done it of course.  But it is popular over here.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »

Yes, I found my boyfriend on OkCupid, which is definitely one of the better ones.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »

Yes, I found my boyfriend on OkCupid, which is definitely one of the better ones.

You are a gay?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »

There are so many things wrong with this thread. And I am going to take the time to go through and call them all out.
First we have Beet & Napoleon

WTF?
1. How are you asexual?
2. Who the f[inks] performs sex for the partner's benefit?
3. WTF?

Next up, Barfbag's story.
I moved to Virginia in March to be with my girlfriend who I met in a chat room. We've been together for 8 months and known each other for almost 10 months. Be careful though. A year and a half ago, I met a girl at a mall out of state who claimed she was 18, but turned out to be 14. Her parents snuck up on us and asked what the hell I thought I was doing. The girl denied not being 18 but was sent by her dad to go away. We waited for the police to arrive while I informed the parents on what she'd been telling me, but answered no questions about myself. When the cop got there he took my license and had me wait by JC Penney while he talked to the girl's friend and her friend's mom who we saw at the mall and followed us around. Looking back it was very suspicious and I wish I would've left. He then talked to the parents, the girl, then each parent individually. After about 40 minutes, they left, the cop walked over to me, read me my rights, and walked me to my car. He tried to get me to say the girl told me her age over the phone, but she didn't. If she did tell the cop she informed of her age, then I said she lied to him as she lied to me. He didn't let me get a drink on our way out. I'm not sure why, but maybe he just wanted to get out of there. We went in front of his vehicle where he told me no jury would ever believe that the girl claimed to be her fictitious sister who was 14 and then acted as herself but claimed to be 18 when I told her she was too young. He said, "I know what you are and I know right where you're headed. It's called the .... House of Corrections which is where you're going to be living for the rest of your life." Next, the cop walked me to my car, called my license plate into the station, and asked if I'd done anymore than holding hands and kissing. I had not so he gave me my license and told me to have a good night. On his way to his car, he said "I'm sure mom and dad would be real proud to know how old the girls were you were with tonight."
WHAT THE F[inks] IS WRONG WITH YOUR LIFE?
1. How old we're you when this happened?
2. Did you go to jail or not?
3. WTF did I just read and why do I love you more for it?

And now Barfbag again.
13? And you're still with one of them. If the first 12 didn't work out, and you're on #13, something is wrong. And to make matters worse, 13 is a very unlucky number. Any chance you met her on a Friday?

Since when were you a gay?

Great story barfbag!  Back in the nineties when i was about 26 I had a girlfriend who was.... lets just say I could have been in trouble that first year of our relationship!  We were together (mostly) for four years!

But about internet datings, no I have never done it of course.  But it is popular over here.

I have lots of internet stories like the time the girl's parents found out and she tried to hang herself.
1. That's f[inks]ed up.
2. For some reason, I want to hear some of them.
3. I'm most likely going to throw myself into a wall after reading some things in this thread.

In conclusion, I've discovered a few things.
My entire life is a lie because Beet doesn't love me or Meagan Fox.

ilikeverin is a gay.

Barfbag is now my favorite poster, period.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »

Online dating is pretty fun. It's like going to a bar but much cheaper and lazier and you know which girls are single, okay with weed, not f[inks]ing vegetarians and down with casual sex much more quickly. So better in every way basically.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »

It's like going to a bar but much cheaper and lazier and you know which girls are single, okay with weed, not f[inks]ing vegetarians and down with casual sex much more quickly.

How could you possibly know if they're 'down with casual sex'?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »

Says so on their profile.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »

Depending on exactly what the word "dating" means, it is one of the greatest innovations ever when to comes to my personal fulfillment. Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 02:44:18 PM »

Do you use grindr Torie?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »

I activate it every once and awhile.  It can be fun for hookups as Lief said but you need to wait a few months for the talent pool to replenish.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 03:36:04 PM »

No, not yet. It is a bit too high tech for me. Would I find utilizing it conducive to servicing my little needs in life?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »

No, not yet. It is a bit too high tech for me. Would I find utilizing it conducive to servicing my little needs in life?

Why not do what most civilized olds do,  Torie?

Strolling down the street with your Lexus will get you more than a few offers.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »

That's far too inefficient to get from point A to desired point B. My most valuable and precious commodity in life is time.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »

I've had one real-life sexual encounter due to internet media.  it technically wasn't a dating site per se but people do use the site to find sexual partners.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies