Science Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:35:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Science Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Science Megathread  (Read 90491 times)
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« on: February 16, 2021, 05:00:22 AM »

I'm not a fan, but undergraduate physics doesn't take me far enough to have a truly informed opinion on the topic.
NYDem

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 04:48:37 PM »

Hasn't string theory been largely discredited....since like 2002?

No, but it hasn't advanced beyond being merely a hypothesis rather than a widely accepted truth.

It hasn't advanced, and from what I've seen it probably never will. When the hypothesis doesn't make any predictions, it cannot possibly be proven or disproven, and it can't really be regarded as science. When a string theory can be shown to make some testable prediction, that would be an advancement. It won't be a widely accepted truth until that prediction can be proven.
NYDem

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 11:07:58 PM »

A bit old now, but I haven't seen it posted in the thread yet: New data suggests that the W Boson is heavier than predicted than the standard model. This measurement is 7 standard deviations beyond what the standard model predicts, the most contradictory experimental result yet. The standard model has held up well in almost all experiments, so this is quite significant.

https://astronomy.com/news/2022/04/trillions-of-collisions-show-the-w-boson-is-more-massive-than-expected#:~:text=The%20W%20boson's%20mass%20came,times%20the%20margin%20of%20error.

To avoid any bias creeping into the analysis, nobody could see any results until the full calculation was complete.

When the physics world finally saw the result on April 7, 2022, we were all surprised. Physicists measure elementary particle masses in units of millions of electron volts – shortened to MeV. The W boson’s mass came out to be 80,433 MeV – 70 MeV higher than what the Standard Model predicts it should be. This may seem like a tiny excess, but the measurement is accurate to within 9 MeV. This is a deviation of nearly eight times the margin of error. When my colleagues and I saw the result, our reaction was a resounding “wow!”
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies