Science Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:17:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Science Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Science Megathread  (Read 90213 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« on: November 19, 2019, 05:07:49 PM »

Very interesting, just like all these exoplanets discovered in recent years, opening up the possibility for some form of life out there.

Water vapor detected on Jupiter's moon Europa, adding intrigue to potential for life

For the first time, scientists have discovered the presence of water vapor above the surface on Europa, Jupiter's icy moon first visited by one of the Voyager probes 40 years ago.
This adds to the intrigue of other previously discovered factors associated with the potential for life on Europa. The findings were published in the journal Nature Astronomy on Monday.
The research team observed Europa using the W. M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii -- one of the biggest telescopes in the world -- for 17 nights between 2016 and 2017. On one of those nights, they detected the signal for water vapor.

The researchers observed 5,202 pounds of water releasing from Europa per second, which could fill an Olympic-size swimming pool within minutes, according to NASA.

[...]

Full CNN Article
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 04:39:10 AM »

Great Conjunction is expected to occur today, where Jupiter and Saturn appear closest together in the sky. The conjunction occurs approximately every 20 years when Jupiter "overtakes" Saturn in its orbit.

According to our local radio station, it should be visible on the night sky at about 5.30 pm. local time. As of now, we're under a cloud, but maybe we get a clear sky in a few hours. In case I see anything, I'll be taking some photos.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 02:13:52 PM »

Great Conjunction is expected to occur today, where Jupiter and Saturn appear closest together in the sky. The conjunction occurs approximately every 20 years when Jupiter "overtakes" Saturn in its orbit.

According to our local radio station, it should be visible on the night sky at about 5.30 pm. local time. As of now, we're under a cloud, but maybe we get a clear sky in a few hours. In case I see anything, I'll be taking some photos.

Unfortunately, I was not able to see anything. I took on my coat and checked from balcony and the street. Too cloudy. Anyone noticed something on the sky?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 04:37:24 PM »

Stunning:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies