Should neighborhood watch associations be illegal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:47:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should neighborhood watch associations be illegal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should neighborhood watch associations be illegal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Should neighborhood watch associations be illegal?  (Read 1496 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:41:59 PM »

Yes. They should be treated no differently than gangs, which if you think about it often basic behave in the same way.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 03:18:56 PM »

This is another one of those threads that you're going to be embarrassed about in the future.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »

No, but they should be banned from having guns.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 03:30:45 PM »

This is another one of those threads that you're going to be embarrassed about in the future.

Its not an election prediction, so it can't turn out to be inaccurate. So I doubt it.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »

Like homeowners' associations and co-op boards, they self-select for busybodies and petty tyrants.  I don't think you can make them illegal per se, but they are definitely horrible as a rule, and should be defanged as much as possible.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »

Its not an election prediction, so it can't turn out to be inaccurate. So I doubt it.

BRTD, have you ever been embarassed about music you used to like? A love affair with Nickelback perhaps?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »

I never liked Nickelback. I did like bad music before I became scene, but that was like 13 years ago.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 04:18:29 PM »

No (normal)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 04:25:59 PM »

Of course they should, just like Ingress and shows that aren't in a concert hall.

Roll Eyes

Oh, and that whole freedom of assembly thing.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »

No; just because there are some thugs in them like George Zimmerman doesn't mean they should be banned entirely.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 05:08:23 PM »

Of course they should, just like Ingress and shows that aren't in a concert hall.

Roll Eyes

Oh, and that whole freedom of assembly thing.

If only if only ....
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »

No real way to make them illegal unfortunately.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »

We basically have a neighborhood watch on my block in Brooklyn.  It actually does help to stop crime.  Instead of a few anonymous vigilantes, it's a bunch of old ladies that know all the trouble-makers.  They're not going to go and confront people they don't know, of course.  But, they might talk to someone's family or parents.

Maybe if you live in the suburbs, that's not necessary.  But, if you live in an area that's had a crime problem, I think the right kind of informal groups are really helpful.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »

Like homeowners' associations and co-op boards, they self-select for busybodies and petty tyrants.  I don't think you can make them illegal per se, but they are definitely horrible as a rule, and should be defanged as much as possible.

Or PTAs.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »

Or PTAs.
More or less this. Most NWAs have little if any power.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 11:27:06 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2013, 11:32:40 PM by Be Revolutionary Till Death »

We basically have a neighborhood watch on my block in Brooklyn.  It actually does help to stop crime.  Instead of a few anonymous vigilantes, it's a bunch of old ladies that know all the trouble-makers.  They're not going to go and confront people they don't know, of course.  But, they might talk to someone's family or parents.

Maybe if you live in the suburbs, that's not necessary.  But, if you live in an area that's had a crime problem, I think the right kind of informal groups are really helpful.

I don't know if there's a Whittier Neighborhood Watch, but I don't see how it'd work, and Whittier is most certainly not a low crime or suburban neighborhood. The problem is defining "suspicious behavior". If I called went around the neighborhood looking for people who looked odd or I didn't recognize and called 911 on every single one of them I'd be calling 911 every time I left my apartment, and would probably make multiple calls walking around one block. Like train noted, it's just for busybodies with too much time on their hands, and actually seems more likely to happen in a suburban area (like where George Zimmerman was.) Especially if Zimmerman's standard for "suspicious behavior" is used.

Now simply calling 911 if you witness an actual crime or emergency (I have more than once upon hearing audible gunshots) is not something that you need an official "neighborhood watch" group for, and I know if I was a criminal those "If I don't call the police my neighbor will" signs I see in some neighborhoods would not scare or deter me. The whole thing seems similar to someone who believes the reason their neighborhood hasn't had any tiger attacks is the magic rock they carry that keeps tigers away.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 11:56:01 PM »

We basically have a neighborhood watch on my block in Brooklyn.  It actually does help to stop crime.  Instead of a few anonymous vigilantes, it's a bunch of old ladies that know all the trouble-makers.  They're not going to go and confront people they don't know, of course.  But, they might talk to someone's family or parents.

Maybe if you live in the suburbs, that's not necessary.  But, if you live in an area that's had a crime problem, I think the right kind of informal groups are really helpful.

I don't know if there's a Whittier Neighborhood Watch, but I don't see how it'd work, and Whittier is most certainly not a low crime or suburban neighborhood. The problem is defining "suspicious behavior". If I called went around the neighborhood looking for people who looked odd or I didn't recognize and called 911 on every single one of them I'd be calling 911 every time I left my apartment, and would probably make multiple calls walking around one block. Like train noted, it's just for busybodies with too much time on their hands, and actually seems more likely to happen in a suburban area (like where George Zimmerman was.) Especially if Zimmerman's standard for "suspicious behavior" is used.

Now simply calling 911 if you witness an actual crime or emergency (I have more than once upon hearing audible gunshots) is not something that you need an official "neighborhood watch" group for, and I know if I was a criminal those "If I don't call the police my neighbor will" signs I see in some neighborhoods would not scare or deter me. The whole thing seems similar to someone who believes the reason their neighborhood hasn't had any tiger attacks is the magic rock they carry that keeps tigers away.

My neighborhood probably has ten times the population density of your neighborhood.  As far as I'm concerned, most of the Twin Cities feels suburban. 

But, you're missing the point.  People on my block know who has had a drug problem in the past, who is a knucklehead and so on.  So, the knuckleheads know that someone is going to see them selling drugs on the corner or sawing off an architectural elements off a brownstone, and they're going to get caught or at least found out.  So, they sell drugs and saw off an architectural elements on other blocks.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 12:09:24 AM »

If your neighborhood has ten times the population density (by the way this would be over 150k people per square mile), it would be odd to know that because that is far too many people to keep track of. I don't recognize well over 99% of people I see in my neighborhood, which makes sense because I bet most of them don't even live here. Even limiting it to just my block I don't really know or recognize anyone outside of my own apartment.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 12:32:29 AM »

If your neighborhood has ten times the population density (by the way this would be over 150k people per square mile), it would be odd to know that because that is far too many people to keep track of. I don't recognize well over 99% of people I see in my neighborhood, which makes sense because I bet most of them don't even live here. Even limiting it to just my block I don't really know or recognize anyone outside of my own apartment.

You're right on the density point.  My hood is only 3 times denser than yours.  Yours must be one of the higher density areas of Minneapolis. 
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 02:34:40 AM »

Of course they should be, they are scabbing police unions.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 07:21:32 AM »

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »

Or PTAs.
More or less this. Most NWAs have little if any power.

NWA was pretty influential if you ask me...

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 09:59:52 AM »

as I said in the other thread, for better or worse, both gangs and their white petit-bourgeois incarnation, neighborhood watch associations, can't be banned pursuant to the right of free association in the first amendment, as I understand it.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length