Favorite "Watchmen" character?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:58:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favorite "Watchmen" character?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Hmmm...?
Rorschach (Walter Kovacs)

The Comedian (Edward Blake)

Doctor Manhattan (Jon Osterman)

Nite Owl II (Daniel Dreiberg)

Ozymandias (Adrian Veidt)

Silk Spectre II (Laurie Juspeczyk)

Other: (40's vigilantes, Moloch, etc.)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Favorite "Watchmen" character?  (Read 5974 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:27:45 AM »

Not sure if this is the right board. Just wond'rin'.

Rorschach (Walter Kovacs)
The alienated, far-right hero based on Steve Ditko's work--though seemingly much more of an authoritarian than an objectivist. He is the most morally absolute character, which is in stark contrast to his atheism and lack of belief in any deity. Possibly asexual and uncomfortable with sexual matters, possibly due to his mother's career as a prostitute, Rorschach can come off like a dick sometimes. My personal favorite for obvious reasons and the only one with the initiative to give a damn about the murder of Edward Blake. Also the only one with any sense of real values, in my opinion.

The Comedian (Edward Blake)
All-American badass Cold Warrior with about a million personal flaws including having tried to rape Sally Jupiter. Morally objectionable though a pretty badass guy in his later days. There's a picture of him shaking hands with Vice President Ford in his apartment at the time of his death.

Doctor Manhattan (Jon Osterman)
By far the most frightening of all the "heroes" in the book, Doc Manhattan has the power to control atoms themselves, meaning he can do just about anything. Quite naturally, his presence has been a great boon for the United States in the Cold War, though it is shown that he is unreliable as a deterrent early on. Luckily, his growing detachment to humanity is stemmed as "Watchmen" reaches its conclusion and he eventually departs for other worlds--thank God. Not necessarily a bad guy, though his very much changed perception of reality is a dangerous one for someone of his abilities and not someone I'd want to exist in our own world.

Nite Owl II (Daniel Dreiberg)
One of the two heroes to be a successor to an earlier version--though you could, in a way, count Rorschach as Hooded Justice's successor. Dreiberg is one of the two "normal" characters. Having retired from the masked life after the Keene Act in '77, Dreiberg's gained weight. Only when his relationship with Laurie Juspeczyk begins does he get back in the game, in time to save Rorschach from prison and head with him to the South Pole.

Ozymandias (Adrian Veidt)
Possibly more dangerous than Manhattan, only because he has the will to change his world, combined with the money and intellect to do it. While Manhattan could do it on a whim, he seemingly never had such a goal while Veidt schemed for years. Veidt, a hero who based his alias in myth and is obsessed with Rameses II--he previously had his eye set on Alexander the Great--he is also the most notably left-wing character in the series, as opposed to the reactionary and absolutist Rorschach. He sees little problem with slaughtering 3 million in order to create a lie that would end the Cold War.

Silk Spectre II (Laurie Juspeczyk)
The other normal character. The daughter of her mother, Silk Spectre I: Sally Jupiter (changed her name so folks wouldn't know she was Polish), and the Comedian (Laurie doesn't find this out until later), she starts out in a relationship with Doc Manhattan and ends in one with Nite Owl II. She often feels frustrated with the circumstances she's in and would likely have been happier with a normal life. Not much more to say about her. She doesn't like Rorschach or the Comedian.

So which shall it be?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »

Walter Kovacs, obvs.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »

It is the characters that made Watchmen so great. With the exception of Silk Spectre II there are reasons to not only like any of them but also to want to be any of them. Silk Spectre II's flaws are essential to the plot, but they also make her not very likable or emulatable.

However, the one I like best is Nite Owl I (Hollis T. Mason).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:21:48 PM »

However, the one I like best is Nite Owl I (Hollis T. Mason).

Great guy. Was quite saddened when he was senselessly beaten by the knot-tops. Probably the "purest" character, though he doesn't get to really count since he's retired, and definitely one of the most relatable/coolest. At least he had a (spiritual) successor in Dreiberg which a number of other characters sadly lacked.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »

I'm glad to see that this forum is slightly less in the loony bin than another one I used to frequent, where the consensus was Ozymandias > Rorschach because Rorschach is homophobic.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 07:56:52 PM »

I'm glad to see that this forum is slightly less in the loony bin than another one I used to frequent, where the consensus was Ozymandias > Rorschach because Rorschach is homophobic.

I recall hearing this story before. Not necessarily surprising.
Down the Gurney
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 02:40:02 AM »

While it's a hard choice between Dan and Laurie, I'm gonna have to pick Laurie to root for the probable underdog.
Kovacs was ment to be seen as a loony munchkin psychopath. Moore even looks down upon Rorschach fans.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:27:09 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2013, 09:30:02 AM by Formerly Californian Tony »

Ozymandias. I love Magnificent Bastards.

And frankly, he's not more of a villain than the Comedian or Rorsach.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 11:15:10 AM »

While it's a hard choice between Dan and Laurie, I'm gonna have to pick Laurie to root for the probable underdog.
Kovacs was ment to be seen as a loony munchkin psychopath. Moore even looks down upon Rorschach fans.

That's what Moore gets when he makes such an awesome hero he hates. Tongue It doesn't help that it's basically narrated from Rorschach's point of view, and that he's the one that spearheads the opening of the can of worms. I wonder if Rorschach's journal ever gets published....

He barely resembles what was meant to be: an homage/parody of Ditko's characters, as Steve Ditko was an Objectivist and Rorschach seems to be more of an intense moralist that happens to be atheistic.

Ozymandias. I love Magnificent Bastards.

And frankly, he's not more of a villain than the Comedian or Rorsach.

I take it you're a fan of noble lies? Tongue I can see why some might approve of Veidt's actions--I'm not among them--but does that mean he's less villainous than Rorschach? Comedian, sure, far too easy to see why he'd be a villain.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 11:24:54 AM »

Well, it's Moore's fault for making him the most interesting character then.
Down the Gurney
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »

Well, it's Moore's fault for making him the most interesting character then.

All to true. While Moore's presentation of him in the comics is certainly more negative than Snyder's, he seems to made him too sympathetic to have the small fanbase he hoped for Rorschach.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »

I take it you're a fan of noble lies? Tongue I can see why some might approve of Veidt's actions--I'm not among them--but does that mean he's less villainous than Rorschach? Comedian, sure, far too easy to see why he'd be a villain.

I don't really approve of Veidt's actions (I might if it was absolutely demonstrated that it was the only possible way to avoid a nuclear war and that such a war would have 0% chance of happening anyway - but the film demonstrates neither). But at least, he had the Earth's interests at heart, made a carefully reasoned decision and carried it out with style.

Rorshach might be less villainous if you consider villainy in terms of the consequences of one's actions (then, so was the Comedian), but he has a far more abhorrent personality. He's basically a blithering, self-righteous, misanthropic, pseudo-moralistic psychopath who mindlessly kills people in the most gruesome and absurd ways following nothing but his own ridiculously narrow logic. He's basically what you get when you mix the most brainwashed fundie moron with the most senselessly brutal 90s antihero. God, how I hate Rorshach. And how I utterly despise his fans.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 05:38:57 PM »

Rorshach might be less villainous if you consider villainy in terms of the consequences of one's actions (then, so was the Comedian), but he has a far more abhorrent personality. He's basically a blithering, self-righteous, misanthropic, pseudo-moralistic psychopath who mindlessly kills people in the most gruesome and absurd ways following nothing but his own ridiculously narrow logic. He's basically what you get when you mix the most brainwashed fundie moron with the most senselessly brutal 90s antihero. God, how I hate Rorshach. And how I utterly despise his fans.

Dude, just saying, as a friend.  Chill.  

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:32:05 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2013, 08:36:13 AM by Formerly Californian Tony »

Dude, just saying, as a friend.  Chill.

Movies are serious business. Wink Tongue
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 09:06:17 AM »

You know where Rorschach comes from?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 09:10:41 AM »

As a character, Rorschach. Pretty awful beliefs, but he was a lot of fun to read/watch. Doc Manhattan comes in 2nd.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 12:54:33 PM »

It's hard to choose one. They're all really interesting characters but they're also all pretty terrible people.

I think I'll give the nod to Ozy though. He's one of the best antagonists of all time.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 01:01:40 PM »

Rorschach was most likely gay himself.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 06:21:10 PM »

Dude, just saying, as a friend.  Chill.

Movies are serious business. Wink Tongue

You think this is just a film!?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »

I don't read comics, so I'm completely uninformed on the matter. What's it about?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2013, 10:33:16 PM by Assistant to the Regional Manager Cathcon »

I don't read comics, so I'm completely uninformed on the matter. What's it about?

1985. Eight years or so after masked heroes and vigilantes were outlawed by the Keene Act in 1977 due to public outrage--only government employed ones may operate--Rorschach, a far right vigilante with a mask that resembles a Rorschach test, investigates the murder of Edward Blake. He is, of course, working illegally. Snooping around his apartment, he discovers Blake was once the "hero" known as The Comedian, one of the masks who'd been in government employ. Rorschach, convinced there's a "mask killer" out there, begins to investigate the circumstances. Meanwhile, the world is going to Hell. Doctor Manhattan is the only actually super-powered hero, having the ability to control matter. By the third book of twelve, his girlfriend--Silk Spectre II--has broken up with him and he's off-planet. This of course means that America's prime nuclear deterrent is gone. The Soviets are considering invading Afghanistan. As well, Manhattan's view of the future is obscured by tachyons--God knows from what. Adrian Veidt, or "Ozymandias" by 1985 is a millionaire (billionaire?) who cashed in on his fame as a hero and is now a prominent left-wing philanthropist and businessman who is billed by his PR guys as literally the smartest man in the world. With The Comedian dead, Manhattan off planet, and an attempt made on Veidt's life, Rorschach's suspicions begin to appear to be coming true. Silk Spectre II, named Laurie, has now begun a relationship with Dan Dreiberg, the second Nite Owl. Rorschach, at the house of Moloch, an old villain he'd been talking to that he finds dead, is surrounded by the police and sent to prison. Surrounded by thugs he'd helped jail for decades, he's about to enter Hell.

The series had twelve issues. The ending is very important and it's also a lot to describe, I've gotten you about six or seven issues through by now. It's available at my local library here in Springfield, there's the wikipedia plot summary, and I'm sure other online sources. A very good work.

Basically a murder mystery-turned-diabolical scheme. The last few issues are pretty awesome. I should also mention that thanks to Doc Manhattan and The Comedian helping us win 'Nam--Manhattan moreso--and the bodies of two reporters, Woodward and "some Jewish name" found in a garage, Nixon is triumphant and goes on to win third, fourth, and even fifth terms. Moore went with Nixon since he wanted someone besides the then-popular Reagan to rail against, and Nixon's the perfect guy for the job.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 10:58:14 PM »

If you haven't, you should read Miracleman, also by Alan Moore, which isn't as well done but was sort the spiritual predecessor to Watchmen. It also has a pretty mind-blowing and awesome final act.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 11:01:31 PM »

If you haven't, you should read Miracleman, also by Alan Moore, which isn't as well done but was sort the spiritual predecessor to Watchmen. It also has a pretty mind-blowing and awesome final act.

Thanks. I'll try to pick up a copy from the public library system. Hopefully it has as good an artist as Gibbons, though I'm not optimistic given some of the artists I've seen with Moore's work.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 11:03:42 PM »

Yeah, the art's definitely not as good as Watchmen, other than a few pretty stunning visuals sprinkled throughout.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 06:44:39 PM »

I should also mention that thanks to Doc Manhattan and The Comedian helping us win 'Nam--Manhattan moreso--and the bodies of two reporters, Woodward and "some Jewish name" found in a garage, Nixon is triumphant and goes on to win third, fourth, and even fifth terms. Moore went with Nixon since he wanted someone besides the then-popular Reagan to rail against, and Nixon's the perfect guy for the job.

Not that Moore didn't get a little subtle Reagan bashing in on the side.  One of the incidents used to help establish the back story of this world is a newspaper headline "RR to run for President?"  Of course one of the minor characters doesn't think so. After all, even if an actor were to run for president, who would vote for Robert Redford!

Also, it seems to me unlikely that Ford would have been Vice-President in the Watchmen universe as was shown in the comics. He was picked because with Watergate already in motion it was already realized that he might become President.  With no Watergate problem, Ford would have likely remained House Minority Leader and possibly even become Speaker without Watergate to cause problems for the GOP.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies