George Zimmerman verdict?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 09:51:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  George Zimmerman verdict?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Poll
Question: What will the verdict be?
Guilty 2nd degree murder

Guilty manslaughter

Not Guilty

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: George Zimmerman verdict?  (Read 8443 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »

Amazingly, my facebook friends are all sane and none of them have posted anything one way or the other about this or any trial.

Do you have like 5 Facebook friends?  Even the non-political friends I have are blowing up my newsfeed with this crap.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2013, 10:26:58 PM »

Most neighborhood watch association don't have members that bring crime to the neighborhood. Heck, I think most neighborhood watch areas that have signs only have them for show, they don't even have actual groups or ones that really take the duty seriously.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »

Amazingly, my facebook friends are all sane and none of them have posted anything one way or the other about this or any trial.

Do you have like 5 Facebook friends?  Even the non-political friends I have are blowing up my newsfeed with this crap.

No, I have several hundred, including several who regularly crap up my newsfeed about how racist it is to go to an Indian place and ask to make a dish less spicy, or whatever.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2013, 10:35:38 PM »

I voted manslaughter on here.  My logical, rational mind tells me that would have been the best option.  He didn't murder Trayvon Martin... but he did kill him.

But my gut feeling... my irrational, emotional mind... says not guilty was the correct verdict.

The whole thing was a sh**tty deal.  It probably could've been prevented at several points by Zimmerman... but he let his gun throw his caution to the wind.

I was always under the assumption that "neighborhood watch" meant you watch out for your neighbors and call law enforcement if something is up.  Neighborhood doesn't mean you go around neighborhoods while armed, patrolling.  That's vigilante justice and goes 100% against community policing and neighborhood watches.

I'm sad that Trayvon Martin was killed.  His death was a tragedy, and nothing less.  But nothing more, either.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2013, 10:39:14 PM »

What is so awful about facebook posts about this? Are you all that elitist that the general public does not have a right to comment on this trial?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2013, 10:39:27 PM »

Do you have like 5 Facebook friends?  Even the non-political friends I have are blowing up my newsfeed with this crap.

No, I have several hundred, including several who regularly crap up my newsfeed about how racist it is to go to an Indian place and ask to make a dish less spicy, or whatever.
Whoever honestly said that deserves to be punched in the gut until he throws up the spicy Indian food... then called racist for throwing up their food.

Then they might begin to learn what real discrimination feels like, and not to go around making light of it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »

Do you have like 5 Facebook friends?  Even the non-political friends I have are blowing up my newsfeed with this crap.

And seriously not a single Zimmerman status?  Wow... that really surprises me.  Can I trade some of my friends for yours? Tongue
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2013, 10:41:54 PM »

It's time to outlaw neighborhood watch associations and treat them the same way as gangs.

George Zimmerman was not an actual member of a neighborhood watch group. He was a freelance vigilante.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »

What is so awful about facebook posts about this? Are you all that elitist that the general public does not have a right to comment on this trial?

It's not the existence of posts that bother me, it's the substance of them.  Most of them are filled with politicization or general douchebaggery, and it's happening on both sides.  And other than 1 post that I've seen, everyone's acting like they're objectively right in what should have happened, and that there's no room for anything else.  Well, if that were true, the jury would've come out the other way or a good judge wouldn't have let the case go to the jury.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »

It's not the existence of posts that bother me, it's the substance of them.  Most of them are filled with politicization or general douchebaggery, and it's happening on both sides.  And other than 1 post that I've seen, everyone's acting like they're objectively right in what should have happened, and that there's no room for anything else.  Well, if that were true, the jury would've come out the other way or a good judge wouldn't have let the case go to the jury.
True, but I am just glad most of my FB friends are posting something other than "OMG I love Wiz Khalifa." I find the "I can't stand the XXX statuses" more annoying than the "OMG No Justice No Peace" comments, etc.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »

True, but I am just glad most of my FB friends are posting something other than "OMG I love Wiz Khalifa." I find the "I can't stand the XXX statuses" more annoying than the "OMG No Justice No Peace" comments, etc.

Well if they "I can't stand the XXX statuses" actually back up why they can't stand XXX with a logical argument, I'd argue that they're much better than both.  But yes, Wiz Khalifa is awful... as is LMFAO and Psy.  Now, Bon Jovi... that's a different story. Wink
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2013, 12:07:39 AM »

So I guess he's set for life now. Only a matter of time before the multi million book deals, tour of talk shows, etc. No need to work ever again.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2013, 12:12:32 AM »

So I guess he's set for life now. Only a matter of time before the multi million book deals, tour of talk shows, etc. No need to work ever again.

Yeah...ask Casey Anthony how that is going.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2013, 12:16:46 AM »

If Martin had killed Zimmerman, does anyone think he would have gotten off free?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2013, 12:22:02 AM »

The prosecution needs to be fired for incompetence.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »

If Martin had killed Zimmerman, does anyone think he would have gotten off free?

If charges had been filed in the first place, Al Sharpton et al would have been screaming about the travesty of justice and how racism still exists in America and that nasty white Republican DA etc. etc., and the DA would've been intimidated into dropping the charges lest she be forever tarred with the "racist" brush.  And Al Sharpton would be entirely correct.  But let's assume that is not the case, and the theory that Martin would've had the book thrown at him is true.  How does the fact that one person might be treated unfairly by the courts justify treating other people unfairly?
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2013, 12:32:31 AM »

Yeah...ask Casey Anthony how that is going.

A good portion of America is wholeheartedly Zimmerman. Anthony was universally vilified.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2013, 12:58:34 AM »

It depends on the circumstances. In this case, no.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2013, 07:16:04 AM »

I'm sure Fox News is working on a deal.

I really hope he loses in a civil trial.

Not a chance. And I think Trayvon Martin would have had a considerably stronger case for self-defense.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »

If charges had been filed in the first place, Al Sharpton et al would have been screaming about the travesty of justice and how racism still exists in America and that nasty white Republican DA etc. etc., and the DA would've been intimidated into dropping the charges lest she be forever tarred with the "racist" brush.  And Al Sharpton would be entirely correct.  But let's assume that is not the case, and the theory that Martin would've had the book thrown at him is true.  How does the fact that one person might be treated unfairly by the courts justify treating other people unfairly?

Zimmerman should be treated unfairly because of his race because black people are treated unfairly because of their race. Makes sense to me Tongue
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2013, 07:31:06 AM »

I don't understand why this trial has been christened a Big Deal.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2013, 07:43:50 AM »

As far as I'm concerned this is payback for the OJ acquittal.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »

Favourite tweet from the trial so far:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2013, 08:32:30 AM »

Favourite tweet from the trial so far:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Technically he's half-white.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2013, 09:10:52 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2013, 09:13:06 AM by Zioneer »

Are you freaking serious? None of that would've happened. What would have happened is that Trayvon Martin would've gone to jail for a long time, seeing as how that's exactly what happened to African-Americans who have been accused (on less evidence for being guilty than Zimmerman, who is definitely so) of similar or lesser crimes. I mean, there was that black lady who's going to jail for 20 years because she fired a warning shot at/nearby someone who she already had a restraining order against. That would not have happened to a white lady.

And stuff like drug crimes are stricter on black people than white people. For example, in terms of cocaine users, white people primarily use regular cocaine. Black people use crack cocaine at a higher rate. But guess which one gets prosecuted more often, and for up to three times as long a sentence?

EDIT: You should read the book The New Jim Crow, it points out the racial unfairness in regards to criminal sentences and such.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies