George Zimmerman verdict?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 07:34:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  George Zimmerman verdict?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Poll
Question: What will the verdict be?
Guilty 2nd degree murder

Guilty manslaughter

Not Guilty

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: George Zimmerman verdict?  (Read 8417 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:11:37 AM »

I can't believe there's not a thread on this already...

I say option 2.  The state has not proven elements such as a depraved mind or hatred, and the defense has not shown that deadly force was warranted.  So, the compromise verdict.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:21:26 AM »

Keeping our streets safe at such a young age should get him to be our secretary of defense eventually. Had someone killed someone of the same race, half the neighborhood wouldn't know about it, but because there is a racial difference, the media has to play politics.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:25:18 AM »

I pretty much agree with Fritz. The wildcard here though if it will be voluntary or aggravated.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »

While I think he's probably guilty, the prosecution will not be able to prove that Zimmerman started the fight and the jury will find him not guilty.

It's Casey Anthony all over again.  Probably guilty, but just enough reasonable doubt.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »

Keeping our streets safe at such a young age should get him to be our secretary of defense eventually. Had someone killed someone of the same race, half the neighborhood wouldn't know about it, but because there is a racial difference, the media has to play politics.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »

Most likely guily of manslaughter, but of the race card works as well as it did for OJ, he'll be convicted of 2nd degree murder.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »

Admittedly other than the names of the parties involved I haven't followed this at all, but in reading a few articles in recent days it seems he has a better than average chance of being acquitted. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 10:29:56 AM »

if we get a full acquittal is there a chance for some nice urban rioting?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:39:58 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2013, 10:46:04 AM by Invisible Obama »

The instigators are out force, so far we have a suggestion Zimmerman should be secretary of defense and a suggestion of riots.

That aside, there is a such a political bias in the case, that Zimmerman would have been acquitted even if he had shot Trayvon in the back, that's just how it is. The fact that he believes that God lead him to shoot Trayvon says a lot about kind of person he is.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 10:58:04 AM »

The beyond the reasonable doubt standard has not been met at all by the prosecution. The correct  verdict is not guilty. Whether the jury agrees remains to be seen. A murder rap seems totally out of the question.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »

Torie, I'll admit to being neither a lawyer nor an avid follower of this case, but it seems to me that it is has been fairly well shown that Zimmerman, against the advice of competent authorities, undertook actions that led directly to there being the confrontation in which Martin lost his life.  While proving murder is going to be difficult, indeed probably impossible, I fail to see why you say manslaughter is so obviously not in the cards.  After all, that's what the crime is for: to prosecute someone whose premeditated actions led to the death of another but for whom we are not certain that he meant to cause harm to that person.  By his own admission, Zimmerman is certainly guilty of that broad definition.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »

Don't care so long as the media circus is over once and for all.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2013, 01:36:04 PM by wormyguy »

Torie, I'll admit to being neither a lawyer nor an avid follower of this case, but it seems to me that it is has been fairly well shown that Zimmerman, against the advice of competent authorities, undertook actions that led directly to there being the confrontation in which Martin lost his life.  While proving murder is going to be difficult, indeed probably impossible, I fail to see why you say manslaughter is so obviously not in the cards.  After all, that's what the crime is for: to prosecute someone whose premeditated actions led to the death of another but for whom we are not certain that he meant to cause harm to that person.  By his own admission, Zimmerman is certainly guilty of that broad definition.

The idea that Zimmerman committed some sort of felonious egress of a motor vehicle is by far the most cockamamie thing dreamed up by the internet prosecutors in this case.  Exiting your car is not illegal, not under any circumstance, not if a non-police-officer dispatcher on the non-emergency line suggests you don't, and not if the Chief of Police and the Mayor and the President of the United States and the Pope and the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Commissioner of Major League Baseball are all physically present and do the same.  It does not legally entitle anyone nearby to beat you to a bloody pulp, nor does it somehow vacate one's human right to defend oneself from having one's head smashed repeatedly against a concrete sidewalk.

The forensic testimony from Dr. Di Maio (which I suggest you read, 10:41 to 2:58 on this live blog), was absolutely devastating and essentially confirmed the defense's entire version of events.  The prosecution in its closing arguments completely abandoned their previous version of events and now essentially concede that Martin threw the first punch and was the one on top of Zimmerman, but introduced the absurdist argument that theoretically he could have stopped his attack before he was shot.  They are trying to obtain a conviction based on a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman is innocent, which simply is not enough for any jury that abides by the rule of law to convict on.

Add to that the numerous instances of improper handling of evidence (the rotted clothing, cleaning Martin's wounds before photographing them or an autopsy, leaving evidence out in the rain for hours, playing the 911 tape for the Martin family before police could interview them, the court technician who intentionally deleted the contents of Martin's cell phone, etc.), and the Martins or their lawyers being essentially caught red-handed in the act of witness manipulation ("I don't read cursive").

I will say that it's kind of funny that all the conservatives are suddenly ACLU Clarence Darrow types about this case, while liberals are doing a collective spaz out demanding blood, damn the evidence.  Personally, I always approach these things from a presumption of innocence and a desire to see the state's case be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, and I would suggest others attempt to do likewise.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 01:30:43 PM »

NEVER FORGET
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »

Too little sleep.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 01:48:32 PM »

The list of incredibly specific things that wormyguy is apparently weirdly informed on is fascinating, and in some ways, utterly fitting.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »

The list of incredibly specific things that wormyguy is apparently weirdly informed on is fascinating, and in some ways, utterly fitting.

not really, he's oppositional and hates liberals, and this situation is where American liberalism as a coherent worldview does start to break apart at the seams.  the last statement, claiming a moral high ground, could be done without, as it just comes across as snarky and ridiculous (he well knows that innocent-until-proven-guilty is but a legal construct and is not binding on spectators).
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »

I admit to a weakness for courtroom drama.  I've always been pretty interested in becoming a criminal defense attorney, although the job market for any type of budding lawyer except maybe IP is pretty unfortunate right now.  What I do not understand is your bizarre and continuing obsession with every word that comes out of my cyber-mouth.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 02:01:39 PM »

Is this is the part where we painstakingly choose our words in witty attempt after witty attempt at a coup-de-grace to carefully sway Atlas forum public opinion in our favor by painting the other poster as the instigator? Because I'm not really in the mood. Both of us seem to have a tendency for deliberate sleep deprivation.
Link
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 02:04:13 PM »

if we get a full acquittal is there a chance for some nice urban rioting?

Gosh I hope so.  In Europe this guy would have been in jail the night he killed that kid.
Link
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »

When I exit my car usually there aren't dead unarmed black kids littering the ground minutes later.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2013, 02:11:03 PM by wormyguy »

I have you on ignore, in order to purposely not respond to anything you say (I know, ain't working, but I saw you quoted by Tweed).  Any disagreements we may have from this point forward are entirely your own fault for following me around from thread to thread to lob nonsensical insults.  You will be 30 years old fairly soon.  I suggest you take this as a good point to grow up.  Or, failing that, you can simply choose not to interact with me and we can be happy as plums.

When I exit my car usually there aren't dead unarmed black kids littering the ground minutes later.

When I exit mine, said unarmed black kids (and when we're talking about 17-year-old 6'2" 180-pound football players, do we really still need to say "kid?") don't repeatedly bash my head against a concrete sidewalk.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »

I would think "not guilty", but you never know...

I'm just looking forward to the media frenzy on this to go away. This has been overcooked.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »

You will be 30 years old fairly soon.

As in, like, 8 years?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »

I thought you were a couple years older than Mint, but whatever.  You are an adult, act like one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies