How did these post graduate majors vote? (2012) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:54:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did these post graduate majors vote? (2012) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did these post graduate majors vote? (2012)  (Read 7115 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: July 14, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »

Engineering is probably a toss-up. Engineers as a whole are heavily Republican, however there is virtually no benefit in terms of salary or job advancement to getting anything higher than a BS in engineering if you want a private sector job, so most engineers don't bother. If you're getting an MS and/or PhD in engineering, it's because you want to be a researcher or a professor. I know two guys who are doing PhDs in biomedical engineering and they are both lefties who love Obama. I know plenty of people who got bachelor's degrees in engineering and now work in oil & gas or chemical engineering and they are all severely conservative Republicans.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:51:13 PM »

But what about accountants? My guess is Romney.

Ironically, someone whose livelihood depends on deciphering our country's complicated tax code should be fighting tooth and nail against anything that flattens or simplifies the tax code, and probably shouldn't be supporting Republicans. And they sure as hell should oppose getting rid of the corporate income tax, considering their clients are...corporations who want to minimize their tax burden.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:32:31 AM »

Doctors, however, do not seem to be as liberal. I see more of a liberal trend occurring over several decades, in part a result of the general educational elite moving towards the democrats. However, doctors are more conservative than scientists probably because they operate in a more corporate setting; there is less public sector influence.

Doctors aren't as liberal as lawyers or academics, but they are far less Republican than they were 40 years ago.

But physicians are, on the whole, terrible with money. Most of them will never take an accounting or management course in their lives. That's why they tend to let the billing service they outsource their accounts to do the worrying about the money. My father has had years of post-doctoral training from some of the top teaching hospitals in the country. But if I try to go over his retirement accounts with him, basic math and financial terminology go completely over his head. If I ask him what medical procedures have the highest profit margins for him or what patient demographic generates the most revenue for his practice, he can't tell me. And most doctors can't. It's part of the reason they're such easy marks for pharmaceutical reps and people selling medical equipment.

I attribute that to the reason that most physicians, when they opt for public office, tend to be truly awful legislators and administrators.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies