Vermont
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:56:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Vermont
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Vermont  (Read 9013 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 06:04:14 PM »

The NYC suburbs are weird politically, but are not universally D-leaning by any means.

Your suggestion on Vermont is already happening. If I recall, Shumlin was trying to implement single-payer.
hopper
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2013, 06:32:04 PM by hopper »

Gallup 2008-2012:

2008 Conservative over Liberal US Advantage +17/Vermont Advantage  0
2008 Dem US Advantage  13/ Vermont Dem Advantage   33  +20

2012 Conservative over liberal US Advantage +16/Vermont Advantage   2
2012 Dem US advantage +4/Vermont Dem Advantage  +17

2008-2012 US Averages Conservative over Liberal Advantage -1/Vermont Average 2008-2012 +2
2008-2012 US Dem Average Advantage -9/Vermont Dem 2008-2012 -16
ProudNewEnglander
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »

I just saw this thread, and I think you're all missing one of the key reasons for Vermont's sharp leftward turn: the environment. Vermont is a very environmentalist state, which is not surprising because it is incredibly beautiful, and the people there want to keep it that way. Notice how Vermont turned blue just as environmental issues came to the forefront and Republicans became anti-environment.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 04:11:44 PM »

2000 D+9       for some reason Bush did very well in northern New England

2000 had Nader which took lots of D voters in New England.

I actually questioned this once and as I understood with its small population the influx of new comers from Mass. and Upstate NY with their Liberal positions tilted that the political map drastically. Lots of old guard Vermontees remained republican (in a moderate sense of the word) but they were just overwhelmed with Liberal outsiders and locals who swayed to the left with them. I assume that if the 80+84 elections would have been competitive that democrats would have carried it then.

I would recommend the American progressive movement to take control of Vermont and turn it into a model progressive state for the rest to see (that includes NY, Mass and the rest of New England or as I call it the Progress Belt)
Massachusetts is really borderline on creating a Progressive Party. The people most to the left on the political spectrum scale live in Western Massachusetts and that part of Massachusetts is really not gaining population. Eastern Massachusetts has makes up most of the the states population growth recently and has really really swung or trended R except for the Boston Area or the Martha's Vineyard area in recent years.

New York-Long Island, and Nassau County are really not that left and all those area vote close to the national average of the popular vote recently. The Flatbush Area of Brooklyn, The Bronx and Upper Manhattan are left politically yes. New York State(minus the city) is like Ohio and Pennsylvania Politically I think except for Buffalo maybe(The Erie County area.)

Why would people move from Massachusetts move to Vermont? Because Vermont has ski resorts that Massachusetts lacks? People from NY State I could understand in moving to Vermont.
What's keeping the Mass. left from forming a state progressive party and challenging some seats for state houses (I assume Amherst and the surroundings would be perfect)?

Already done.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 04:00:42 AM »

I'm surprised nobody has brought up another issue that could probably explain Vermont's rapid shift to the left: war. Remember it was here in 2006 when voters in four cities in Windham County, Vermont passed resolutions calling for the impeachment of George W. Bush (see below). The 2008 Democratic primary in Vermont could reinforce this, as the war in Iraq was really the only major defining policy difference between Hillary and Obama. Hillary voted for the war, Obama didn't, and what resulted was that Obama carried every single county in Vermont in the primary.

Here's a tidbit from a website called WarIsACrime.org:

NEWFANE, Vt. — In a white-clapboard town hall, circa 1832, voters gathered Tuesday to conduct their community's annual business and to call for the impeachment of President Bush.

"In the U.S. presently there are only a few places where citizens can act in this fashion and have a say in our nation," said select board member Dan DeWalt, who drafted the impeachment article that was placed on the warning - or official agenda - for this year's town meeting.

"It absolutely affects us locally," DeWalt said. "It's our sons and daughters, our mothers and fathers, who are dying" in the war in Iraq.

The article, approved by a paper ballot 121-29, calls on Vermont's lone member of the U.S. House, independent Rep. Bernie Sanders, to file articles of impeachment against the president, alleging that Bush misled the nation into the Iraq war and engaged in illegal domestic spying.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies