Is Winnipeg seriously the most dangerous city in Canada?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:17:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is Winnipeg seriously the most dangerous city in Canada?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Winnipeg seriously the most dangerous city in Canada?  (Read 3237 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2013, 02:55:15 AM »

So tonight was the second day of the D4th Fest, and what's really cool is about half the people in attendance are not from Minnesota, or at least not Minneapolis. One is this couple from Winnipeg that came here just for this, and are so cool that they came despite not having money for a hotel, and just slept in their car the first night they were here (but found someone who let them sleep on their floor in their living room and use their shower last night, which is good, because you REALLY need to shower if you're going to a fest like this. Though they were wearing the same clothes they wore the first night today.) But they talked about how the f**king pigs harassed them the first night and woke them up sleeping in their car parked on the street for no reason and they ended up moving and I found out that they were sleeping in f**king Phillips of all places and started talking about how cops probably should find more important things to deal with in that ghetto and suggested they might want to come to the park near me where I see homeless people sleeping on the park benches all the time at night when I'm playing Ingress which is a lot less ghetto than Phillips even if not near the venue. Then I started joking about how it'd probably be super-ghetto in Canada and what counts as a ghetto in Canada. And they said that Winnipeg actually has the highest murder rate in Canada and is more dangerous than Toronto and not big on organized crime but small gangs. I was surprised. Is this true? Kind of an odd place. Funnily enough there was also four cop cars and a bunch of police tape just a block from the venue for much of the night, so maybe there was a shooting in the area.

The dude in that couple is f**king awesome by the way. Ended up catching him twice while was crowdsurfing, he ended up falling down the second time anyway, but he was so f**king wasted he didn't even seem to notice and just got up and started dancing again.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »

Translation:

At a gathering of music enthusiasts and performers, I happened upon a lovely couple from Winnipeg who informed me that it is, in fact, a particularly dangerous city. Indeed, my friends, they insisted that it was the most dangerous out of all the cities in our northerly neighbor, citing homicide statistics. Needless to say I was overcome with shock and nearly had a dreadful spell. Now I humbly seek confirmation or refutation. What say you?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 07:58:38 AM »

Winnipeg doesn't have the most dangerous neighbourhoods, but I'd say it's the most dangerous overall. Winnipeg doesn't have the super scary neighbourhoods that Toronto and Vancouver have (Jane Finch & Downtown Eastside respectively), but while Toronto and Vancouver have isolated ghettos, Winnipeg has crappy areas that make up a significant portion of the city, which makes it the most dangerous in the country.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:49:48 AM »

I am discovering that Ottawa is pretty gross when you get east of the Rideau Centre. Especially around the Mission at Murray and King Edward, which is the neighbourhood where I have the great honour of living for the next five weeks...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 08:53:16 AM »

The most dangerous city in Canada. Oh noez! Run for the hills Roll Eyes
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »

I am discovering that Ottawa is pretty gross when you get east of the Rideau Centre. Especially around the Mission at Murray and King Edward, which is the neighbourhood where I have the great honour of living for the next five weeks...

Welcome to Ottawa Smiley

Yes, that area is a bit sketchy, but it's nothing compared to anywhere in the US. Areas like that in Ottawa are few and far between.

As for Winnipeg, I am aware of this fact. High native population in the North end of the city and all that. Regina is pretty dangerous too for the same reason, I think.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 09:59:20 AM »

Can't be any worse than my hood in Toronto. Near Jane and Finch.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »

This place claims its Prince George, but it probably uses data instead of anecdotes so it might not be right for the thread.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 11:12:17 AM »

This place claims its Prince George, but it probably uses data instead of anecdotes so it might not be right for the thread.

Victoria is #2? I thought it was full of old people.

Well, Winnipeg is #2 in violent crime, which is what BRTD is going for here, I think.  And don't fear, Hagrid... Ottawa is 44th.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 05:19:54 AM »

Technically yes. It's all redskinned people killing other redskinned people though, so you don't need to worry.

Actually dead, that thing agrees exactly, according the implied definition of city in use here - Winnipeg (even taken together) is more violent than the huge metros (or even their core cities). Only hick towns listed above Winnipeg - Regina and Saskatoon are kind of borderline. Of course, see sentence 2 of this post for why that should be the case in Canada.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »

I had a post in this thread moderated because people thought I was attacking Scott.  NO!  Not Scott.  SCOTT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7HegNSoWs4
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »

Seriously, "the most dangerous city in Canada" is not a terrifying label
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2013, 12:07:13 PM by HockeyDude »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NNS_tLXBUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmxLGHtlv8Q

It's funny, because I believe that Americans think Seth MacFarlane is ripping on Canada... when in reality he's probably complimenting their extremely calm, cool, chill nature.  

Of course, a sad reflection on Americans. 
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies