Largest Cities to Go Republican in Each State (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:30:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Largest Cities to Go Republican in Each State (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Largest Cities to Go Republican in Each State  (Read 7195 times)
ProudNewEnglander
Rookie

« on: June 15, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »

AR: Fayetteville leans Democratic. Springdale is much more Republican. However, Fort Smith is solidly Republican, so it's the answer.

IA: West Des Moines voted for Obama. Probably the answer is Ankeny.

LA: Metairie isn't a city, it's a CDP. Some possibilities are Slidell, Houma, Lake Charles, and Bossier City.

ME: Presque Isle voted for Obama. The city you are looking for in Maine is Brewer.

MA: Billerica is indeed the answer there.

MI: Sterling Heights narrowly voted for Obama. Probably Livonia is the answer there.

MN: Maple Grove.

NJ: Toms River does not have an apostrophe.

NY: Probably Oyster Bay town.

OR: Probably Medford.

RI: Only two towns voted for Romney. Of the two, Scituate is larger.

VT: Two (extremely small) towns voted for Romney: Morgan and Maidstone. Morgan is larger.

I hope this helps!
ProudNewEnglander
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »

Also, in Georgia, Sandy Springs is larger than Roswell.
ProudNewEnglander
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:48:32 PM »

Council Bluffs voted for Obama.

Also, I'm pretty sure Salisbury also voted for Obama (after all, Wicomico County isn't that Republican; Romney got just 52% there). I didn't include MD earlier since it has so few incorporated cities, but the answer is probably Cumberland.
ProudNewEnglander
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 01:15:09 PM »

As for the remaining states:

NY: As I said, probably Oyster Bay town. Only NYC, Hempstead, Brookhaven, and Islip are larger. NYC and Hempstead are solidly Democratic. Brookhaven and Islip both voted about 53% for Obama in 2008, and Suffolk County had only a very small swing toward Romney in 2012. Thus, it is very likely that both Brookhaven and Islip also voted for Obama in 2012, which leaves Oyster Bay town as the answer.

OR: Medford voted for McCain, and Jackson County swung toward Romney, so it almost definitely voted for Romney. As for larger cities, there are only 7: Portland, Salem, Eugene, Gresham, Hillsboro, Beaverton, and Bend. Portland, Eugene, Hillsboro, and Beaverton are all solidly Democratic. Gresham almost definitely voted for Obama in 2012 since it voted 58% for Obama in 2008 and Multnomah County had only a very small swing toward Romney. Salem voted 56% for Obama in 2008, and is getting more Hispanic - hardly a recipe for larger Republican vote shares. Bend also voted 56% for Obama, and Deschutes County swung only about 2% toward Romney, so it probably voted for Obama in 2012 as well. That leaves Medford as the very likely answer.

AL: Probably Hoover, but I don't have any solid evidence to back that up.

DE and WV: I have no clue.
ProudNewEnglander
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 01:59:20 PM »

RI: Only two towns voted for Romney. Of the two, Scituate is larger.

Actually, there was a third town in R.I., East Greenwich, that Romney won. It's larger than both West Greenwich and Scituate.

Wrong. Obama won East Greenwich 3649-3535. While Obama got only 49.9% of the vote there, he still won the town. So Scituate is still the correct answer.
ProudNewEnglander
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »

As for the remaining states:

OR: Medford voted for McCain, and Jackson County swung toward Romney, so it almost definitely voted for Romney. As for larger cities, there are only 7: Portland, Salem, Eugene, Gresham, Hillsboro, Beaverton, and Bend. Portland, Eugene, Hillsboro, and Beaverton are all solidly Democratic. Gresham almost definitely voted for Obama in 2012 since it voted 58% for Obama in 2008 and Multnomah County had only a very small swing toward Romney. Salem voted 56% for Obama in 2008, and is getting more Hispanic - hardly a recipe for larger Republican vote shares. Bend also voted 56% for Obama, and Deschutes County swung only about 2% toward Romney, so it probably voted for Obama in 2012 as well. That leaves Medford as the very likely answer.

I have confirmed that Obama won Bend by looking at the Deschutes County precinct results.

I have also confirmed that Romney won Medford by looking at Jackson County results.

BTW I find it astounding that Obama won Jackson County in 2008 yet still lost Medford. Instances where a democrat wins a county but loses the largest city are extremely rare.

The 2008 Jackson County results were mostly due to Obama's absolutely enormous margin in Ashland (the second largest city in the county). He got 86% there, and turnout was high. My guess is that turnout was lower in Ashland because some Democrats sat out the election (that is the general trend in similar towns), and that's one reason why Romney did better in Jackson County.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies