Lynn Swann Forms Gubernatorial Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:57:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lynn Swann Forms Gubernatorial Committee
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lynn Swann Forms Gubernatorial Committee  (Read 2692 times)
NHPolitico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2005, 11:11:42 AM »

The race will at least be interesting.

Former Steeler Lynn Swann Forms Gubernatorial Committee

Feb 24, 2005 9:31 am US/Eastern
Harrisburg (AP) Former Pittsburgh Steelers star Lynn Swann has filed papers forming a campaign committee for governor, his first official step toward a possible campaign for the 2006 election.

Swann's filing allows him to begin raising money for a campaign. He filed the papers Wednesday, on the eve of his first public speech as a potential candidate - at a Westmoreland County Republican dinner.

He promised to begin "a conversation with the people of Pennsylvania."

"I will spend time introducing myself to communities across the commonwealth," he said in a statement. "As I consider my personal decision regarding the upcoming gubernatorial race, we will also explore the potential political and financial support for my candidacy."

Swann named his committee Team 88, the number the wore during a career as a wide receiver that won him a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Swann faces at least two prospective opponents for the GOP nomination next year - state Sen. Jeffrey Piccola of Harrisburg and former Lt. Gov. William Scranton III. The nominee is expected to take on Democratic Gov. Ed Rendell in his bid for a second term.

A Quinnipiac University poll conducted earlier this month showed Rendell the clear favorite in hypothetical matchups with each of the three Republican prospects. Rendell led Scranton 50 to 35 percent; Swann, 50 to 34 percent; and Piccola, 52 to 28 percent. More than 11 percent were undecided.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 03:13:05 PM »

Swann for Governor!  Smiley
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 07:31:04 PM »

Rendell is very popular, because he's got charm like Clinton.  I think he's just swarthy, but some people think he has charm.  If Swann wins, he'd go immediately to the head of the VP short list of everyone in the GOP Presidential field.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 10:46:01 PM »

It would be interesting, especially to see how Swann would do in the Pittsburg area.

However, he wouldn't have much experience going into the '08 campaign to be Veep.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 10:47:57 PM »

However, he wouldn't have much experience going into the '08 campaign to be Veep.

Thats what I was thinking.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 02:16:17 AM »

How much experience did Edwards have, really?  Reagan was talked about for President in '68 after two years as a Governor.

A black runningmate from a swing state, I think it would be hard not to choose Swann if I was the GOP nominee.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 02:26:54 AM »

Oh wow, a football player running for Governor! How neat! And he's black! That makes it even better! He's definitely qualified to be Governor with that resume!

All right, that was sarcasm(and not exactly subtle, either), but come on. What does he really have going for him? I bet he doesn't make it past the primaries, let alone be a potential VP.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 02:33:34 AM »

Oh wow, a football player running for Governor! How neat! And he's black! That makes it even better! He's definitely qualified to be Governor with that resume!

All right, that was sarcasm(and not exactly subtle, either), but come on. What does he really have going for him? I bet he doesn't make it past the primaries, let alone be a potential VP.

The thing with politics is that it doesn't matter whether or not you're qualified; what matters is whether or not you can convince the voters that you are.

It's been said that it's an interesting thing that the most important jobs in the world require the least amount of qualifications of all.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 03:16:36 AM »

You are right and wrong.

You are right that none of this makes him qualified to actually do the job.

You are wrong that it doesn't make him qualified in the real world as far as getting the job.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 11:53:55 AM »

Swann hasn't been playing golf exclusively... he's on the board of a major national boy's and girl's club, in charge of a town's Presidential Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, etc. It will at least be interesting.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 11:55:45 AM »

Im waiting to see how well he does in Pittsburgh.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 02:05:45 PM »

How much experience did Edwards have, really?  Reagan was talked about for President in '68 after two years as a Governor.

A black runningmate from a swing state, I think it would be hard not to choose Swann if I was the GOP nominee.

I was actually thinking of your comments throughout the day, John. Rendell doesn't have that much experience but it is more than Swann (He was DA and Mayor). Swann's only political experience is heading the President's Fitness Council and if he's elected, he'll have only two years as Governor. People think Edwards was hammered on the whole experience issue? I couldn't even imagine what they'd say about Swann. Just because this has happened in the past doesn't mean it is justified. Swann would not be a good VP candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 02:06:23 PM »

Im waiting to see how well he does in Pittsburgh.

Rendell's unpopularity out west + Swann's star power = Big win for the GOP out west (if he's the nominee. We can only hope.)
NHPolitico

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 03:44:59 PM »

Swann has a real job.  President of Swann, Inc. (a marketing and consulting firm). He is the Director of the Board at H.J. Heinz Company and at Wyndham International, Inc.

He's also got a degree in Public Relations from the USC School of Journalism.

He's a charming speaker, too...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies