Do you desire to have children?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:49:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you desire to have children?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Do you desire to have children?
Already got 'em...

Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Do you desire to have children?  (Read 25262 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2013, 03:23:26 AM »

Eventually
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2013, 03:43:49 AM »

If for some reason I do decide to have children one day it will not be because I actually want them, but only because I feel like the world needs more people like myself, and children grow-up to be very similar to their parents...

Yes, the world certainly needs more people who think this way:

I don't think father should be required to pay child-support for children born out of wedlock.  Our system needs to support and encourage traditional marriages, as the best way to rear children is in a two-parent household.  Maybe if women knew that they couldn't get child support if they weren't married, they would stop sleeping around and tell their fellas to "keep it in ya pants"!

Now, if a couple divorces then child support should only have to be paid if the parents have equal custody.  I don't think a father who doesn't have custody over one or more of his children should be forced to financially support them.  That would be like me buying dog food for my neighbor's dog.

this can't be for real
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2013, 03:47:34 AM »

The only members I can think of offhand who are parents:
Clarence
Gramps
Earl
Any others?
ahem

Muon2
angus
Badger
Mitty
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2013, 05:43:03 AM »

A bit late for me, but for the first time in my life, putting aside my vintage, I am ambivalent rather than negative about the prospect of siring issue. That is because I have had the opportunity to interact with my roommate's kids to a fair extent over the last 18 months. I enjoyed pondering and trying out different tactics with them, to induce them to want to do things my way, without contretemps. It was a very satisfying experience to see them I think benefit from their experiences with me, giving them new and additional options and perspectives to think about, and other ways of spending their time, and making things happen in a good way for themselves.

Having and raising kids in the right way, might be the single most important contribution most of us can "give" to our respective communities, and to the nation. And if one accomplishes that, I really can't imagine anything that would be more satisfying in life. But it takes a lot of time, and A LOT of patience, not to mention the money involved. It's sort of the ultimate commitment one can make in life, and the most important really.

That guy still lives with you?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2013, 06:08:14 AM »

Some of the posts in this thread are very much improved by thinking of a different sense of 'having' someone.
And I don't desire to 'have' children in that sense.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2013, 07:26:57 AM »

I shall have heirs.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2013, 07:38:56 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2013, 09:33:01 AM by memphis »

No biggy.  I don't bring 'em up much.  I've got three good kids...

four kids total, but just three good ones.

I just drove down to ATL last weekend to see the oldest graduate HS.  On the way back I did ATL to STL in 6.5 hours....un freaking believable.  For mortals that's like a 9 hour drive.  I'm happy to do it in 8 normally.  6 and a half.  No traffic 'round Nashville (or Chattanooga) at all which normally always has a bit of traffic.  Few cops.  We even stopped in Metropolis IL to take pictures with Superman.
Holy crap. Don't kill yourself trying to shave a couple of hours off a drive. Also, I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga is very pretty.Hope you enjoyed.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2013, 07:57:17 AM »

No.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2013, 08:00:15 AM »

If for some reason I do decide to have children one day it will not be because I actually want them, but only because I feel like the world needs more people like myself, and children grow-up to be very similar to their parents...

Yes, the world certainly needs more people who think this way:

I don't think father should be required to pay child-support for children born out of wedlock.  Our system needs to support and encourage traditional marriages, as the best way to rear children is in a two-parent household.  Maybe if women knew that they couldn't get child support if they weren't married, they would stop sleeping around and tell their fellas to "keep it in ya pants"!

Now, if a couple divorces then child support should only have to be paid if the parents have equal custody.  I don't think a father who doesn't have custody over one or more of his children should be forced to financially support them.  That would be like me buying dog food for my neighbor's dog.

Do you have a database of old posts to use later or you spend a lot of time searching when you want to respond?

Just curious.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2013, 08:06:58 AM »

You're just jealous of Xahar's planetsized memory.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2013, 08:07:24 AM »

Probably not: I dated someone who, shortly before we retired to my bedroom, informed me that I would make a good father one day, and as a result I suffered erectile dysfunction.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2013, 08:23:52 AM »

He's moving out soon Grumps ( a month or two). He has had a job now for several weeks (doing very well at it actually, and is being given a new division to run), and is building up a cash war chest per my advice prior to getting his own digs, and paying rent, and then going after custody of his kids. He has had to start paying child support again now that he is working, and he's only getting about 48K at his job for the moment, so it is not like the cash is rolling in like the waves on the north coast of Oahu.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2013, 09:09:01 AM »

Honestly... I go through peaks and valleys of 'cluckiness' - I'm good with kids, always have been... but the valleys now are deeper and last longer.

But there is something in the back of my mind that turns me off actually having kids myself, rather than being a godfather/uncle. My sister wants kids, so the bloodline will keep going and my cousin has two boys, so the name will likely keep going...

I think those comments like "ugh, the Earth is sooooo over-populated, it's so selfish" are so stupid... just say why you don't actually want kids.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2013, 11:02:09 AM »

Seriously now, one should never make such a committment before being sure she or he can handle such a responsibility.

I'm faaaaaaaaaaar from being sure.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »

Do you have a database of old posts to use later or you spend a lot of time searching when you want to respond?

Just curious.

Particularly repulsive posts have a way of sticking in my mind. It didn't take long to find this one.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2013, 01:38:27 PM »

Seriously now, one should never make such a committment before being sure she or he can handle such a responsibility.

We're not asking you to commit, just do you want to (someday).
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »

Yes. But the more I sit down and evaluate the type of person I am, the more I realize that I will probably end up living amongst drug dealers in a low-budget apartment complex.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »

I'm fully intent on having a few heirs to fight over the immense fortune I'll undoubtedly attain.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »

Some of the posts in this thread are very much improved by thinking of a different sense of 'having' someone.

I'm only aware of one other sense that has been brought up, and that was tongue in cheek obviously.  There is another sense, but it would be against the Terms of Service and probably lead to mod review and possible banning, so I'm not surprised that sense has not been brought up.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »

We're not asking you to commit, just do you want to (someday).

Then no.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »

Well, when it comes to biological children, that ship has either already sailed or is about to depart for me. After this long without male hormone levels the chances of me having enough sperm to get someone pregnant are next to nil. Theoretically I could reverse this mostly within the next few years if I were to stop taking hormones for a while, but the chances of that happening are even less than of me getting someone pregnant as is Wink.

Ah at the risk of seeming to be prying, you are not a women, but a man taking female hormones? Are you just turned 18 as I recall. I am having trouble connecting the dots here. Feel free to not feel compelled to help connect them for me.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »

memphis already mentioned me having kin. To answer the question though, one is enough thank you very much.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2013, 03:34:39 PM »

Yes, and I specifically would like two or three, maybe even four (though the last option is a stretch) daughters. I'll be happy with whatever I get, and whenever I get it though.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2013, 03:44:10 PM »

Yes, of course, parenting is one of the great joys of life.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »

The only members I can think of offhand who are parents:
Clarence
Gramps
Earl