capitalism and eternal growth (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:06:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  capitalism and eternal growth (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: capitalism and eternal growth  (Read 11981 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: May 23, 2013, 10:36:24 PM »

It's all about the mysterious technology variable that all neo-classical macroeconomic models include:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solow_model

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solow_residual

Theoretically, the increasing returns that technology allows from each particle of biomass means that economic value of the planet is essentially infinite. Worried about using up fossil fuels? No matter, we'll increase the feasibility of methane hydrate extraction or the methods used to refine shale oil. Increase the ECOREI of energy once thought unprofitable and we'll be fine.

I don't agree with this view but I have no explanation outside of this. I'll leave it to the big boys who aren't newbie students to answer this question.

It's not just about energy per se, but value, or "utility", let's say measured at a constant market price in an arbitrary currency. Why don't you agree with this view?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:05:02 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2013, 11:07:28 PM by Beet »

It's not just about energy per se, but value, or "utility", let's say measured at a constant market price in an arbitrary currency. Why don't you agree with this view?

Value or utility? And how do you measure utility at a market price?

There are lots of ways economists do it. Look at people's behavior in choosing between options that have a currency value (observed or estimated), and then make inferences.

The point is that non-economists tend to think in terms of discrete, tangible things such as "the Earth" and "methane hydrate extraction", whereas economists tend to think in terms of numbers and equations. The economist's viewpoint is that he or she is thinking at a higher level because he or she is at once being more general and precise than someone talking about peak oil or the need to recycle.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:27:57 PM »

No, I just see your transparent attempt to be ignorant of the meaning of some basic words or the framing of Tweed's argument to be ridiculous.

You really want me to go into detail on why I consider the whole "argument" to be ridiculous? I don't like being nasty.

Sure, I'd be curious.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »

Japan hasn't much grown in a generation, and the population is already falling. When I was passing through recently, I didn't notice any price controls or socialized factories. Where should I have been looking?

Well that's just it. Japanese capitalism may be on the verge of a major crisis; their best hope is to inflate things away and impose an "austerity of higher prices", particularly higher import prices.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies