Sweden stunned by third night of Stockholm rioting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:30:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sweden stunned by third night of Stockholm rioting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sweden stunned by third night of Stockholm rioting  (Read 4948 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2013, 07:21:54 AM »

Not the sort of thing I expected to happen in Sweden of all places.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:25:33 AM »
« Edited: May 22, 2013, 09:36:53 AM by politicus »

Not so strange. Large ghetto population of poorly integrated ethnic minorities living in parallel communities.

Bad integration = significantly higher youth unemployment among minorities (16% compared to 6% for ethnic Swedes) = poverty and desperation.

Of course its a chicken and egg thing because unemployment is also a cause of bad integration.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:29:24 AM »

Yeah, but I'd expect Malmo and other areas would go up first...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:41:04 AM »

Malmo has a bad reputation, but its somewhat exaggerated. Stockholm definetly has some of the worst ghettos in Sweden (as one would expect from a capital area).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 08:00:12 AM »

The Sweden Democrats must love this.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:16:31 AM »

ahhhh, the Paris of the North... beautiful country this time of year....cars burning, police sirens blaring in the comical way European police sirens blare, colorful lights flashing, the sounds of obscenities floating in the air

good luck Europe
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »

police sirens blaring in the comical way European police sirens blare

Roll Eyes
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 09:53:03 AM »

police sirens blaring in the comical way European police sirens blare

Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hSmpHgzJLE
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »

And out where I live, everything is as still as it used to be.

I don't know what to say. I'm a bit scared of our future, of course, and I'm angry at these people because they provoke a very nasty part of our society that is getting bigger and stronger.

As a side note, no one can spell Ann-Margarethe Livh correctly.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »

Yeah, it was just bordering on self parody. Besides there are different types of police sirens in  European countries.

Most US police sirens sounds like a dentist drill, which is really annoying.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 10:18:46 AM »

And out where I live, everything is as still as it used to be.

I don't know what to say. I'm a bit scared of our future, of course, and I'm angry at these people because they provoke a very nasty part of our society that is getting bigger and stronger.

Will certainly be used for scaremongering this side of Øresund as well. DPP loves bashing "Swedish naivity" and using Sweden as an example of how bad things can go if you let multiculturalism and "softness" run amok.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 10:36:54 AM »

Indeed. Sh*t.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 10:38:40 AM »
« Edited: May 22, 2013, 10:54:25 AM by angus »

the comical way European police sirens blare

Do you find them comical?  Every European country I've ever lived in--okay, I've only lived in two, Netherlands and Germany--but in those two they sound really frightening.  It's like NanerNanerNaner.  It always reminds me of those world war II movies, and it's nerveracking.  Puts me in mind of brownshirts and jackbooted fascists about to break the door down and carry us all away to a dungeon for torture.  Are they different in Sweden than in Germany?  I've lived in many states in the US and I don't see much difference between them here.  They all say WalaWalaWalaWeeeuuuuWeeeuuuWeeeuuu.  Louder than the german ones, and no less annoying, but it doesn't put me in mind of sadists and fascists, so it's a bit less frightening.  Firetrucks have all that plus a horn that says Brrrrrnnk!  The horn rattles my nerves more than the siren.  One passed me this morning as I was riding my bicycle to my office.  I quickly turned down a side street so I wouldn't be right next to it when it bonked the horn.  

So what's the point of these riots?  The article didn't really say anything other than a bunch of bored, unemployed immigrants are setting cars ablaze.  Do they think that'll help them find jobs?

edit:  Here we go, found it in the Washington Post

The unrest began Sunday in response to the May 13 shooting, in which police killed a 69-year-old, knife-wielding man in a northwestern suburb... 

Police have refused to provide the nationality of the victim.

I reckon he was from non-Scandanavian stock, and that has upset some of the others.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 12:00:39 PM »

There is already a general Sweden thread you know. Tongue

Oh they do! So very much.

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/abc/just-nu-stenkastning-under-demonstration

And this is just in. Rioters throwing stones at a group of people who're peacfully protesting the riots. Lovely...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 01:48:43 PM »

There is already a general Sweden thread you know. Tongue

Oh they do! So very much.

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/abc/just-nu-stenkastning-under-demonstration

And this is just in. Rioters throwing stones at a group of people who're peacfully protesting the riots. Lovely...

Polls! We must see polls after the riots are over.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 02:38:23 PM »

Why, yes Malmö have its ugly side (like the sniper), but it's a smaller city and while it have Rosengård, Stockholm have several ghetthos the same size or bigger.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2013, 06:19:38 PM by Swedish Cheese »

There has already been riots in Rosengård back in '08, just not this big and long.

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »

More riots going on tonight, now in Botkyrka and Malmö as well.

Sigh, obviously these people will only end up making things worse for themselves, why don't they understand that?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 11:42:51 PM »

Sigh, obviously these people will only end up making things worse for themselves, why don't they understand that?

It's hard to imagine a better course of action for the rioters. They're systematically excluded from society and as a result face tremendous limitations in the political sphere that prevent legal action. Protests would presumably be met with jeers and insults; a party based on immigrant identity would be powerless. Not an insight but I think it's important to point out.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 03:36:03 AM »

It's hard to imagine a better course of action for the rioters. .

No, no it's not.
A large peaceful protest would probably wake sympathy and debate on the issue, and if large enough would force the politicians to act.

These riots on the other hand only feed into the narrative that the inhabitans in these places are uncivilised barbarians, and will give legitimancy to xenophobic forces who wants anything but to improve their situation.

The real shame is the majority of the people living in these places who don't want anything to do with the riots, who actually protested the violence and vandalism, had stones thrown at them, and will now get guilt by acossiation.

At the same time, no politician will do anything to improve their situation, because that would seem like given a child that has a hissy fit exactly what it wants.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 04:11:02 AM »

It's hard to imagine a better course of action for the rioters. They're systematically excluded from society and as a result face tremendous limitations in the political sphere that prevent legal action. Protests would presumably be met with jeers and insults; a party based on immigrant identity would be powerless. Not an insight but I think it's important to point out.

Eh, what? I'm not sure you know that much about Swedish politics or the realities of these areas. This is a pretty gross exaggeration.

Most responses have been pretty predictable and depressing. Hopefully the police can get this under control. It'd be great if more local and general immigrant spokespeople would make a clear stand against this. Ethnic Swedes need to see that to realize that the rioters are a non-representative minority and the rioters need to see it to realize they're being idiots.

Such as this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=175676692595846

I love how immigrants can sometimes be reactionary in a way no ethnic Swedes would ever dare to be. Tongue

Unless, of course, they're the leader of the National Democrats who got to speak on Russia Today as some sort of local expert on the riots. Bizarre doesn't begin to describe that event.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 06:05:36 AM »

You make Sweden sound as if it was an apartheid state Roll Eyes

Regarding the bolded part: Swedish  immigrants are divided into too many groups to form a party, but if it was possible to organize an immigrant party and pass the 4% threshold it could potentially be quite powerfull in a PR system, holding the decisive votes and being able to shift the balance of power between the two blocs.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 06:19:24 AM »

FPÖ-people here would already have their heads explode, saying stuff like: "Put those unappreciative immigrant juveniles into the next plane with their 10 belongings and send them back to where they came from if they think they have it better there. Their welfare money would be much better off with the "real" Swedes."

And so on ...

(Is that roughly what the Sweden Democrats say or are they taking a more moderate approach ?)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 07:36:30 AM »

Is it really that controversial to deport the rioters? I kind of figured it would be standard policy if they were non citizens and caught smashing up shops/assaulting people
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 07:47:05 AM »

Yeah, clearly the Swedes are the problem here.  They should leave and let these people take over.  The countries they came from are perfect and they just want to spread that perfection to Sweden (and France and the UK and ...).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies