"Fast Eddie's" Record on the Highways
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:58:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  "Fast Eddie's" Record on the Highways
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Fast Eddie's" Record on the Highways  (Read 8510 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2004, 01:53:13 AM »
« edited: April 03, 2004, 01:53:44 AM by supersoulty »

Here's an interesting piece:

Rendell admits frequent flying on the freeway

Details

'Let's fly'

Inspired by Gov. Ed Rendell's turnpike speeding, David Letterman's Late Show on CBS-TV Tuesday offered the "Top 10 Signs Your Governor is Nuts." No 10: "State has a minimum speed limit of 135 mph."

By Brad Bumsted
STATE CAPITOL REPORTER
Friday, April 2, 2004

HARRISBURG -- Gov. Ed Rendell is 'fessing up to reports that he was driven at speeds in excess of 100 mph in his state limousine.

In his first public statement on the issue, Rendell said late Wednesday he assumes a Philadelphia Daily News story Monday is accurate. The newspaper reported his Cadillac limousine was clocked at 100 mph nine times by troopers since November.

Rendell said the speed level was "unconscionable" and pledged it won't happen again. He said he accepts responsibility.

Rendell said he didn't know at the time that his limo, driven by a state police bodyguard, had exceeded 100 mph on the turnpike. "Did I know we were going over the speed limit? Sure," he said Thursday in Philadelphia.

Rendell's comments were a far cry from a news release his office issued Monday, which during the Watergate era might have been called a "non-denial denial." The news release said Rendell was "not aware of any instance of my executive detail being cited for driving at unlawfully high rates of speed." The newspaper story didn't say that the governor's driver had been cited, only that troopers clocked his car speeding.

The state police wrote 173,400 citations for speeding last year. Trooper Linette Quinn said 135,980 of those were for exceeding 65 mph. State police records show 1,023 citations were written for vehicles traveling more than 100 mph.

Rendell's news release on Monday said he had asked state police Commissioner Col. Jeffrey Miller to investigate the speeding reports and state policy regarding the operation of his state vehicle by the executive detail of the state police.

Asked Wednesday night what good such an investigation would do -- the state police investigating the state police -- Rendell shrugged. That's when he said he assumed the reports were accurate, and "I'll make sure we put a stop to it."

Rendell was not signaling a halt to the investigation on his limo's speeding, said Kate Philips, his press secretary.

"Because there was an accusation of wrongdoing, it's appropriate for the state police to look into it," Philips said.

Asked what could be determined from an investigation, given Rendell already assumes the reports are accurate and accepts responsibility, Philips said an investigation hypothetically "might reveal that it's only one person (driver) or it might reveal it's only 96" mph, Philips said. Rendell has "more than several" troopers who take turns driving the limousine, Philips said.

"The bottom line is we're going to slow down," Philips said.

Rendell said when he's in the limo he is frequently reading or on the phone and doesn't pay attention to the speedometer. He said he often tells the trooper driving his limo, "Let's fly." He said he was surprised the clocked speed was "that high."

Rep. Daryl Metcalfe, R-Butler, called Rendell's 100 mph limousine jaunts "reckless." Metcalfe made reference to the speeding incidents during remarks on the House floor over Rendell's $1 billion economic stimulus package, which Metcalfe called "an economic joyride."

A scary thought: Rendell says "very often we get passed on the turnpike ... which may say something about the level of enforcement."

Brad Bumsted can be reached at bbumsted@tribweb.com or (717) 787-1405.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 11:30:20 AM »

you really hate this guy
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 07:20:12 PM »

With every fiber of my being
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 09:51:32 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2004, 09:55:54 PM by Flyers2004 »

There is a good reason he's going fast..  IT'S BECAUSE HE'S DEDICATED AND NEVER WANTS TO BE LATE!!!  You ask him for soemthing, he delivers!!  Eddie is going to bring us high paying jobs without sacrificing wages as many other states have done.  I love how these conservative newspapers want to make him look bad over petty sh**t like this.

Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 09:55:18 PM »

I don't blame him for driving fast, driving fast is fun my car may blow up if I got up to 100 though
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 10:04:45 PM »

There is a good reason he's going fast..  IT'S BECAUSE HE'S DEDICATED AND NEVER WANTS TO BE LATE!!!  You ask him for soemthing, he delivers!!  Eddie is going to bring us high paying jobs without sacrificing wages as many other states have done.  I love how these conservative newspapers want to make him look bad over petty sh**t like this.

AHAHAHAHA!  Yeah, go on believing that sh**t.  "HE DELIEVERS".  He should be delievering pizza for what he is worth.  He's closing down 100 rural libraries in PA.  Yeah, he delivers alright, he delivers a mouth full of bullsh**t, empty promises and bad policy.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 10:11:18 PM »

AHAHAHAHA!  Yeah, go on believing that sh**t.  "HE DELIEVERS".  He should be delievering pizza for what he is worth.  He's closing down 100 rural libraries in PA.  Yeah, he delivers alright, he delivers a mouth full of bullsh**t, empty promises and bad policy.

I don't even hate Pataki that much
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 10:18:27 PM »

I hate granholm a lot
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 10:18:45 PM »

she's hot
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 12:31:00 AM »

Not!!!!!!!!!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 01:37:55 AM »

I'm meeting Granholm in person on the 15th! Looking forward to it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 09:34:05 AM »

I'm meeting Granholm in person on the 15th! Looking forward to it.

She's hot Smiley

I would punch Pataki if I ever met him...he's a sleazeball.
James Falconer

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 04:06:05 AM »

Hola!

I read or heard once that when Lyndon Johnson was president of the USA, he was pulled over and ticketed by a highway patrolman in Texas. Supposedly LBJ protested the ticket, but the cop was not that impressed and he received the citation.

If that story was true, what happened to the cop?

Former (and thankfully dead) former Governor Kirk Fordice was speeding from Memphis Tn to Jackson Ms, after midnight, after seeing his mistress (who was the same age as he was) then drove off the road (probably asleep at the wheel). Luckily for him (and not for Mississippi) he wasn't killed then. It would not look good to take a state helicopter/plane with a pilot seeing your girlfriend at taxpayers expense (in the poorest state in America).

Fordice's wife left him, Kirk married the girlfriend then died. I would love to see the ex-wife, the hussy and the children at the funeral or fighting over his will.

Senor

Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 03:42:49 PM »

Would I hate GWB for going that fast? No. I'm a teenager, we seem to like that sort of thing LOL.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 03:44:14 PM »

There is a good reason he's going fast..  IT'S BECAUSE HE'S DEDICATED AND NEVER WANTS TO BE LATE!!!  

That has to be the funniest thing you ever said while I was on this forum. Funniest thing ever.

He's probably more dedicated to being a sports analyst every Sunday night than being Governor. I'm being very honest when I say that I see him more often doing his job analyzing Eagles games than I see him doing his job as Governor.
raggage

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2004, 10:34:24 PM »

Now you know how Irish Democrat and myself feel about Santorum.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2004, 08:06:18 PM »

Al Gore got pulled for speeding in Oregon.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2004, 09:48:36 PM »

There is a good reason he's going fast..  IT'S BECAUSE HE'S DEDICATED AND NEVER WANTS TO BE LATE!!!  

That has to be the funniest thing you ever said while I was on this forum. Funniest thing ever.

He's probably more dedicated to being a sports analyst every Sunday night than being Governor. I'm being very honest when I say that I see him more often doing his job analyzing Eagles games than I see him doing his job as Governor.

Eddie is a Renaissance Man.  It's a shame there are so many sour GOPers in this state that can't see through Santorum's frothy lube, but don't know a dedicated and pleasant public servant in Edward Rendell if it bit them in the @ss.  Maasachusetts here I come!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2004, 08:27:31 AM »

Eddie is a Renaissance Man.  It's a shame there are so many sour GOPers in this state that can't see through Santorum's frothy lube, but don't know a dedicated and pleasant public servant in Edward Rendell if it bit them in the @ss.  Maasachusetts here I come!

Rendell's Competitive Contracting program went a long way toward turning around the City of Philadelphia.

Supersoulty, do you have an opinion on this? I recently had to do a report and presentation on it for one of my Public Administration courses, so I was wondering what you or any other Pennsylvanians might have thought about it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2004, 02:09:47 PM »

Sour GOPers? IrishDem...the guy is more associated with a sports show than being Governor. If you want to go to MA, please go. You sit here and insult the intelligence of PA voters saying they have extremely low IQs but whenever it is pointed out that those "dumb" voters elected you pal Rendell, you have nothing to say.
cwelsch

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2004, 11:21:43 PM »

Basically every Governor speeds.  Their limos also often have the license plate "1."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies