Challenge: describe "your" country
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 11:09:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Challenge: describe "your" country
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Challenge: describe "your" country  (Read 11488 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 09:26:36 PM »

I got a hell of a lot of death points and came a hair's-breadth from being banned when I described my country.  That's right.
It was a good read, unlike the majority in this thread.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 07:41:56 AM »

I got a hell of a lot of death points and came a hair's-breadth from being banned when I described my country.  That's right.
It was a good read, unlike the majority in this thread.

However repellant my views may be to some, I endeavor at all times to interest, amuse, and educate my readers.  But above all to entertain and amuse - these being the necessary steps to communication.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »

Doing this instead of my Forensics class reviews. Tongue

Cathconian Political Parties

Cathconia has traditionally been divided between West and East. Contemporary political parties formed about 130 years ago.

The Cathconian Party

The Cathconian Party, part of a strong Eastern Cathconia tradition of pro-industry, pro-finance, is formed around a few key principles. First off, high tariffs to protect domestic industry. This has been seen in the past as both a pro-business and then later a pro-labor stance. As well, in later years, though there was still a large amount of support from Eastern businesses, a trust-busting faction developed. On immigration, they are typically the more opposed faction and thus have had to deal with large immigrant communities in Eastern cities. As well, they tend to support higher taxes and large, paternal welfare programs. They've been opposed to a large number of "Republican" foreign interventions, viewing them as distracting from more internal conflicts. There is a Western faction, comprised largely of impoverished farmers that are wary of immigrants and rather anti-internationalist. The stereotype of an Cathconian Party voter is either an Eastern fatcat corporatist "statist", though in lesser use is a xenophobic farmer.

The Republican Party
The Republican party is your traditional Western Cathconian party. They favor low tariffs, domestic quasi-libertarianism (though immigrant communities have provided certain moralistic traits to the party). They are welcoming of immigrants, viewing them as increasing the fabric of what was originally an immigrant's country. In foreign policy, they might be called "expansionist" or even "pro war" given that a central part of the Republican Party's ideology is expanding democracy and the republican form of government to all corners of the globe. This in the past has involved protecting burgeoning independent republics in Cathconia's own hemisphere. The stereotype of a Republican Party voter is a cowboy with little interest in helping his fellow man and a disdain for most other countries (aside from of course those that Cathconia has liberated).

History of the parties:

The Republicans were at one point the dominant party in Cathconia. After a string of twenty years of victory, a growing anti-immigrant faction, made up of some Eastern and Mid-Western voters, began to grow in power. After nearly winning an election against the Republican nominee, the party reformed, adopted a specific economic and foreign policy platform, and was able to win a comfortable victory, breaking what was then a 28-year string of victories. The Cathconian Party began an era as the pre-dominant party thanks to growing industry that they supported. Today, we are in an era of divided government, though it is said by historians that the Cathconians have won the economic battle--a more industrial economy--however that Republicans maintain greater popular support and have the "spirit of the nation". The isolationists in the Republicans have had to moderate to a more "internationalist" stance in recent years.

In the beginning days of the republic, the economic and political battles were largely the same. In the East and on the coasts was the powerful National Party, supported by "big money" and the like and favoring economic modernization. Meanwhile the Liberty Party was the party of the West and the interior. However, it only came about around fifty years into the nation's history that the "Whig" party--descended from the Libertarians--took a strong "Republican" foreign policy stance, building a massive navy during a stint in power to protect not only the country, but burgeoning republics in the hemisphere. At around the same time, the Nationalists, then fading, took the position of siding with the more powerful monarchial countries "across the pond". When the Whigs became more rooted with the landed gentry and less focused on their original founding ideas, a war hero from conflicts to the South who'd made his name fighting in jungles for a new republic would run on a "Republican ticket", ushering in the groundwork for a new party system.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 02:29:06 PM »

Did they not like where you decided to place the guillotine? 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »

So what are we doing with this?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2013, 09:59:45 PM »

Unfortunately, I won't have enough time to update it until May 25 or so. Sorry. Sad
AmericanforAmerica
Rookie

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2013, 07:09:48 PM by AmericanforAmerica »

Truth Land
America Land is one where the government has an extremely limited scope overall. There is a one party system that offers slightly different varities of the same flavor.  The government doesn't set social standards, but the people here are extremely religious, have an extremely high childbirth rate, and oppose substandard behavior.  Abortion is illegal, but gay marriage, marijuana, and prostitution are all legal(The first is EXTREMELY discourged).  

All citizens are mainline to Evangelical Protestants with a 100% churh attendance rate (I'm not biased at all).  Taxes are nonexistant. Unions are heavily discouraged (They have NEVER done anything good, and collective bargaining is not a right). Trade school is the track for 2/3-3/4 of all students.

@HBJ, nothing suspicious here.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 07:21:34 PM »

All citizens are mainline to Evangelical Protestants with a 100% churh attendance rate (I'm not biased at all). Taxes are nonexistant. Unions are heavily discouraged (They have NEVER done anything good, and collective bargaining is not a right). Trade school is the track for 2/3-3/4 of all students.

So I guess you're ideal country wouldn't have luxurious stuff like roads or libraries.

'Sounds pretty neat.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2013, 07:33:24 PM »

All citizens are mainline to Evangelical Protestants with a 100% churh attendance rate (I'm not biased at all). Taxes are nonexistant. Unions are heavily discouraged (They have NEVER done anything good, and collective bargaining is not a right). Trade school is the track for 2/3-3/4 of all students.

So I guess you're ideal country wouldn't have luxurious stuff like roads or libraries.

'Sounds pretty neat.

Yeah.  He used my nation and turned it into a crazy utopia/dystopia combo.  If you think that taxes aren't necessary at all, have fun during emergencies when you can't call 9-1-1.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2013, 07:35:20 PM »

'Sounds pretty neat.

Yeah.  He used my nation and turned it into a crazy utopia/dystopia combo.  If you think that taxes aren't necessary at all, have fun during emergencies when you can't call 9-1-1.

Obviously your wealth will determine if you can pay for people to help in an emergency. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2013, 08:14:17 PM »

Freakistan (Because using my whole username for a country would just sound awkward. Smiley)

Freakistan is a constitutional republic where the government is relatively limited in its scope, especially on economic issues.  However, there is some government intervention on social issues.  Abortion is illegal except to save the life of the mother, but contraceptives are legal and available either by prescription or over the counter (with exception for the morning after pill, which is only legal for use in emergency rooms for rape victims.)  Gay marriage is also illegal, although homosexuals are allowed to form civil unions with equal benefits to a marriage.  The government places heavy emphasis on equal rights, which are enshrined in the Equal Rights Clause of the national constitution.  Prostitution is legal, but marijuana is illegal.  Harsh sentences are passed to individuals convicted of using or selling marijuana, narcotics, and other hard drugs.  Tobacco and alcohol are legal but are heavily taxed to discourage their use.  The death penalty is illegal except for murder, and only be request of the convicted murderer.  Taxes are low for all individuals, regardless of income, and corporate tax rates are also relatively low.  While a significant welfare state exists, there are specific work and education requirements for recipients.  Eminent domain is prohibited, and the government offers significant grants to family farms, independent businesses, and programs dedicated to advancing science, arts, and humanities.  Health insurance may be purchased across territorial boundaries, and free market solutions to provide high-quality healthcare to all individuals have been encouraged.  Government regulations are in place to protect workers, consumers, and the environment, but most of these are simple.  The government has established significant tax incentives for companies that engage in practices that promote environmental protection and workers' rights.  Nonetheless, there are serious debt and deficit issues that have continually plagued the government.
Although there is no state religion, a majority of the population is Protestant, with significant minorities of Catholic and Orthodox Christians, as well as Jews.  Religious attendance is relatively high, and a large percentage of the population describes itself as "very religious," although religious and social attitudes are fairly moderate.  Religious tolerance is strongly encouraged by the government.  Politically, the majority of the population identifies as conservative, with significant percentages identifying as liberal or moderate.  A significant number of conservative also have some libertarian leanings, with some extreme moderates supporting the legalization of abortion and marijuana.  Opinion polling, however, shows a majority of citizens opposing such measures.
All individuals under the age of 16 are required to attend school, and educational standards are high.  The school year generally begins the first week of September and ends no later than the second week of June, with an exception for making up snow days if necessary.  However, class time is generally calculated by hours rather than days.  The dropout rate is low, and the government guarantees to pay full tuition costs for any college student who maintains at least a B average for four years.  Military spending is fairly average but is low compared to much of the developed world, in part due to the government's emphasis on strengthening soft power.  A moderate stance toward international intervention is taken, with the government determining, on an individual basis, which conflicts require intervention. 
Freakistan has one of the largest per capita rates of libraries and book stores in the world, as well as a significant number of record stores, movie theatres, stage theatres, museums, and sports/music venues.  However, due to the strong incentives against using alcohol, it also has one of the world's lowest rates of bars and liquor stores.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2013, 05:09:09 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2013, 02:11:36 AM by Radical Republican »

Credits to SJoyce whose general structure I followed in this write-up

The Republic of Mungbeansland

In the broad boulevards of the capital, troops with Stahlhelm helmets in overcoats goose-step in perfect unison, crashing their jackboots down onto the pavement as a military band plays “Stars and Stripes Forever” and monocled officers and top-hatted dignitaries watch on the sidelines. The hundreds of thousands of citizens cheer enthusiastically as they wave the Black-Red-Gold Nordic Cross flag (“the Ever-Victorious Banner”) of the Republic or give the Republican Salute to the passing troops. The crowds go especially wild when the Presidential open-top convertible passes by, as the gallant looking middle-aged gentleman in a black coat and his smiling wife stands and waves to the cheering citizenry. Soon the band changes to playing “Ride of the Valkyries” as advanced stealth fighter jets roar pass overhead. It is Inauguration Day in the Republic of Mungbeansland and the people of the country are naturally happy at yet another solemn affirmation of democratic and constitutional governance.

The Republic of Mungbeansland is an unitary presidential republic with a strong Constitution that protects virtually all basic rights including the freedoms of speech, press, assembly, religion, and property while having strict due process laws to prevent unreasonable searches and seizures, arbitrary imprisonment, self-incrimnation, and so forth. However unlike many other countries, the double jeopardy laws contain a strict provision allowing for retrial in case of the emergence of “significant new evidence”. The Constitution also guarantees a right to bear arms “in a manner conducive to public safety and order”. Amending the Constitution is difficult with two-third majorities of both Houses of Congress and a national referendum that must be approved by two-thirds of the voters. The country is divided into 13 regions (based on cultural, economic, and demographic considerations) each with a regional council headed by a President and which exists largely to manage the distribution of government funds. These regions are further divided into metropolitan administrative areas (defined as a continguous urban area plus a greenbelt with at least 500,000 people) and rural districts (both of which are ruled by district councils headed by a District Supervisor) which manage things such as schools, hospitals, infrastructure, and so forth.

There is universal suffrage for all citizens over the age of 16, with automatic registration once someone turns that age. Most voting occurs by mail but election day is always a Monday and a national holiday to ensure that nobody is left out of the process and recently experiments with Internet voting have begun to further ensure access. The President serves a term of six years and has powers to veto legislation (including line by line) along with being commander-in-chief of the armed forces and issuing executive orders. He is elected via direct popular vote with instant run-off of the top two candidates if nobody gains a majority in the first round. The Legislature, in turn, is divided into the Senate and the House of Commons. The latter is clearly the dominant legislation and one half of its members are elected every four years. 4/5 of its members are elected directly in single-member constitutencies and 1/5 are allocated proportionally based on a national list. Both are elected using an Instant-Runoff System. The Senate is elected every eight years with half its members being elected by Regional Councils and the other half by popular vote in regions using the Single Transferable Vote system. While legislation can originate in either House and the Senate can block legislation from the Commons (although it can be overturned by a two-thirds majority of the House), usually the Senate defers to the House on legislation and plays a role only when amending the Constitution.

The historically dominant and current governing (in coalition with the Christian Democratic Party in the House of Commons) in the nation is the National Progressive Party, founded little over a century ago as a breakaway faction from the Liberal Party. It is in general (in Mungbeansland terms) a centre-right party supporting stimulative economic policies, maintenance of the welfare state and social market economy, infrastructure investment, promotion of a “national culture”, and internationalism in foreign policy. Its main support is derived from the urban upper middle and middle classes especially professionals. The party has held the Presidency for all but twenty-four of the last seventy or so years, and has also led the coalition of the house of Commons for most of that time. The second-largest party in the Social Democratic Party which is somewhat to the left of the National Progressive Party on economic issues and about the same on social issues but still quite similar but more cautious in foreign policy and supportive of more restrictions on immigration especially of unskilled labour. Its main support comes from blue-collar industrial workers and some government workers. The third-largest party in the Liberal Democratic Party which is economically the most right-wing major party (for example it was the only major party to continue advocating austerity policies during the current Recession, which led to it losing several seats in last year's elections) but at the same time very strongly internationalist and probably overall the most socially liberal of the major parties. It is often perceived as the party of the wealthy and indeed much of its support comes from business owners or upper management in major corporations. It also has some support from recent immigrants thanks to its strongly pro-immigration stance. The smallest of the “governing” parties is the Christian Democratic Party which formed out of a merger of the Protestant Christian Union Party and the Catholic Centre Party. It is in general centrist (again in Mungbeansland terms) on economic issues while being fairly socially conservative on social issues, and cautious on foreign policy. Its support comes largely from small-town or rural voters along with some elements of the Catholic lower middle class and immigrants  (also due to its strongly pro-immigration stance). Besides these four governing parties there are other parties having some seats in the House of Commons including the very socially liberal, environmentalist (opposing nuclear power unlike any of the major parties for example) and left-libertarian Radical Green Party, the socialistic and far-left Workers' Front, the paleoconservative Heritage Party, and the right-wing populist Freedom Party. These parties however have never been included in coalitions and are marginalized by the major parties. In addition all the major parties are fairly pragmatic and election campaigns tend to be focused on the issues with personal attacks and smears being quite rare.

The country generally follows a social market/ordoliberal economic model. As a result except in times of economic crisis where stimulative policies are enacted, the budget is almost always balanced through a judicious mixture of adjusting taxing and spending and the country debt to GDP ratio is quite low. There is strongly progressive taxation of income (including both income from capital and employment) along with an inheritance tax, payroll tax,  national sales tax, “sin” taxes on alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana, and a carbon tax all of which generally serve to provide not just a large amount of revenue but to reduce income inequality. In addition, deductions on the income tax are limited to a set cash amount that is indexed to inflation and largely limited to child tax-breaks. However corporate taxes are fairly low which encourages an environment friendly to larger corporations. Regulations are empirically determined and generally focused on ensuring environmental cleanliness and worker safety and health.  The minimum wage is about ten US dollars for workers and indexed to inflation and workers enjoy a workweek of 35 hours. In addition, labour unions are quite strong with the right to organize protected. There is universal health care based on the German model with most people in non-profit wellness funds with benefits set by the government. In addition there are plenty of social welfare programs including a minimum income program that was recently instituted, unemployment insurance that is generous and benefits are adjusted to account for economic crisis and include retraining programs to ensure people get back to work, a social security program for the elderly with the retirement age determined by a formula based on one's health, income, employment status, and occupation classification. The economy is highly diversified and export-oriented: massive amounts of genetically modified grain, fruits, and vegetables along with meat, poultry, and fish are harvested and processed everyday and manufacturing focuses on high-skill and complex products such as automobiles and airplanes which are generally considered among the best in the world in their respective categories. Meanwhile there is also a very large financial sector with several major banks headquartered here despite tight regulations and a bank tax in effect along with a strong information technology, real estate, health care, education, and other service sectors. The Republic pursues a strongly pro-free trade policy that enables it to export its goods all over the world while importing cheap goods such as clothing and household goods from other nations.

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2013, 05:12:23 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2013, 05:15:23 AM by Radical Republican »

The government also invests heavily in education along with energy and transportation infrastructure. Compulsory education which is based on the Finnish model begins with universal daycare and preschool and continues on into college and vocational school where government subsidies are determined by income and grades. There is a national curriculum that aims to instill the official language (English) along with civic ideals (such as giving the Republican salute to the Ever-Victorious Banner while chanting the National Oath and singing “the Battle Hymn of the Republic”, the national anthem daily) into all children to promote national unity and assimilation of immigrant populations. At the same time, however, all students are expected to know a second language by the time they graduate high school and college graduates are expected to know a third language. There is no summer vacation with there being 200 school days and week-long breaks interspersed throughout the school year. Students are generally required to wear uniforms even in college which for females in particular resembles those of Japan's. Vocational education is considered equal to college education and includes private-public partnership programs to get people into work once they graduate. While neither private schools nor homeschooling is explicitly forbidden, tuition fees are forbidden for private schools and both modes of education are required to follow the National Curriculum. As a result what private education exists are mostly religious schools.

Government is heavily involved in city planning along with transportation and energy infrastructure. Cities are generally compact and due to anti-sprawl regulations most buildings trend upward. Most of the urban population live in tastefully designed apartment buildings or rowhouses in the central city. City layouts consist of towering skyscrapers, broad boulevards, treelined sidewalks, and include policies of preservation of historical architecture (for example virtually all public buildings are either Classical or Gothic in style). Suburbs are either wealthy enclaves with large and stately homes or industrial suburbs which contain much of the heavy manufacturing for a metropolitan area. The transportation infrastructure is excellent with its centrepiece being the high speed rail system which run at an average of 185 mph and connects all the nation's major cities. There are plenty of other trains serving smaller cities and towns and metropolitan areas are connected by extensive mass transit systems which consists  of subways, heavy rail, and light rail. Despite these systems, most people still own automobiles (even if not used very often) and there is an excellent public freeway system without speed limits. The energy sector is highly clean with 80% of energy coming from modern and safe nuclear power plants and the rest coming from hydroelectric sources, wind power, and some natural gas.

The country has (from an outsider's perspective) an odd mixture of very socially conservative and socially liberal policies. Most distinctively all abortion is banned except if it poses a threat to the life of the mother. Meanwhile gay marriage is left up to local jurisdictions although rights equivalent to marriage are granted to homosexuals by the central government as “household rights” (these rights are granted to some other arrangements to such as adults siblings living together for example).  In addition the death penalty still exists (via firing squad or gas chambers) but used only in rare cases of exceptionally heinous crimes (usually multiple murders especially crime bosses, terrorists, serial killers, and spree killers) while prison terms are harsh with strict guidelines in particular for murderers, rapists, and pedophiles. The police forces are omnipresent and armed while surveillance cameras exist in all public places (including schools and daycare centres) which keep crime rates especially violent crime extremely low. However on the other hand alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana are fully legal to everybody over 18 and most hard drugs are decriminalized with addiction treated as a public health problem. In addition there is virtually no censorship in broadcasting as long as appropriate warnings are listed beforehand. Copyrights laws are fairly liberal, with most copyrights lasting only 25 years or so.

The population is quite religion with almost 70% identifying themselves as Christians and Calvinism is especially strong and is a strong influence nationally with Congregationalists and Presbyterians/Continental Reformed Churches roughly equally divided and Reformed Baptists getting the remainder. The other major Protestant denominations are Lutheranism and Anglicanism while the Catholic Church claims the allegiance of roughly 15% of the population. Virtually all these churches would be considered theologically “conservative” by American standards maintaining there old standards of faith such as the Savoy Declaration, Westminster Confession of Faith etc. although unlike American fundamentalism virtually all of them accept evolution and an old earth. Liberal Christians are mostly quietly integrated into the conservative denominations or have made the full transition to the nonreligious population which number almost a fifth of the population and include deists, agnostics, and atheists. Eastern religion exists mostly among the Asiatic population and there are very few Western converts to it (except for some people who've adopted elements of Confucian philosophy). Related to this there are virtually no New Age religions in the Republic. There is a significant Jewish population which is mostly Conservative or Modern Orthodox. Church attendance rates are quite high at roughly 50% and even the nonreligious have Societies of Reason and similar groups for fellowshipping together. This sort of social involvement in not just religious organizations but also other clubs or benevolent societies has resulted in Mungbeansland having one of the lowest suicide rates in the developed world.

Ethnically most of the population is descended by Germanic or Celtic nations along with some Latin, Slavic, and African populations. The Asiatic population is quite large and consists mostly of East Asians. The government has pro-natalist and pro-marriage policies via tax breaks, welfare support, and daycare programs for mothers that keeps the native-born birthrate at 2.4 children, very high for an industrialized country. This high birth-rate limits fears of being “overwhelmed” by immigrants, which in turn are quite liberal. There are no country-specific quotas and immigration is determined on a point system based on education, income, and skills. In addition the country accepts large numbers of refugees from wars and ethnic violence all over the world. However to secure assimilation, immigrants are often pressured via tax breaks and so forth to settle in certain areas to ensure that both a healthy immigrant community exists to provide social support (and thus prevent crime) while not causing overwhelming concentrations of immigrant populations to exist which the government fears will cause white flight (incidentally white flight as a mass phenomenon is virtually non-existent in the Republic along with urban decay). Government policy strongly encourages assimilation with citizens required to be proficient in English and understanding of civics before naturalization occurs.

Mungbeansland strongly considers itself a representative of Western Civilization and this is reflected in a strong focus on promotion of culture by the government. The Mungbeansland Broadcasting Corporation is government-funded national broadcasting service on both television and radio and provides a schedule of high-quality programming including in-depth news coverage, classic movies, high-quality/high-brow dramas (which include programming similar to Masterpiece Theatre but also those resembling Breaking Bad), documentaries, and concerts. The government also plays classical music, hymns, patriotic/military music, folk music, jazz, classic popular music (think “In the Good Ol' Summertime"), and some pop or rock music on the airwaves. While private broadcasting exists and indeed is unrestricted in what it can show, as a result of which it broadcasts plenty of reality shows, soap operas, and even pornography along with more partisan FOX News like broadcasting, it is generally socially embarassing to admit to watching such programming regularly. The government also funds the cultural preservation of art via museums and so forth but does not fund “culturally degenerate” (ie most modern and/or abstract) art. Books are quite popular in Mungbeansland along with “serious” newspapers and is part of the government's promotion of lifelong education, resulting in a population that is highly politically, and scientifically literate.

In foreign policy, Mungbeansland is strongly internationalist and interventionist. It is part of most major world organizations including the UN, OECD, G8, NATO, ICC, WTO, and so forth. In addition it has officially adopted as foreign policy doctrine that the Republic shall tolerate no act of genocide or ethnic cleansing in any country and will intervene militarily and unilaterally if necessary to stop such atrocities. In addition Mungbeansland regularly funds democratic rebels around the world and supports them with air and drone strikes. This has resulted in Mungbeansland being denounced as a busybody by other countries and in troops being currently deployed in some half-dozen countries in occupation or peacekeeping roles. The military is purely voluntary and is highly professional being organized on Prussian lines (such as maintaining a Great General Staff). It is also technologically advanced with much of the Air Force being converted to drones for example in recent years.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »

No interest? Sad
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2013, 12:31:29 AM »

A placeholder for now.  I'd want something similar for the daily signoffs of the TV stations in my country. And yes there would be daily signoffs required by law.

http://youtu.be/6C-eLktaCAI?t=1m2s

(While the quality of the recording leaves a good deal to desire.  I always did think WIS had one of the best TV signoffs ever.)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2013, 02:06:52 AM »

This is really too big of a question and could be it's own category. The government of my country would be identical to the U.S. because we have the most successful government in the history of the world. I'd only tweak the laws on issues that I've outlined on here.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »

To begin with, my country would be a mediocracy, with the media firmly in control.  Now by that, I do not mean TV, newspapers, or the internet.  Rather, respect for the founding father and eternal president of my country would be so high, that mediums would hold seances so that the current administration could learn from him what they should do.

In education, it would be free thru the second year of tertiary education at state and public schools.  However, the public schools would not be geographically based, but instead be run on the charter school model, with these schools able to offer courses outside the core curricula at the parents' expense.

In health, basic public health services, such as dental exams, annual physicals, eye exams, eye glasses, etc., would be provided free, but items such as dental implants instead of dentures, cosmetic surgery, contact lenses, seeing an MD instead of an NP for basic health visits, etc. would not.  Non emergency advanced care would be something people would need to get insurance to cover, or else pay out of pocket.

Copyrights and patents would be subject to the same twenty year term.  However, trademarks could be maintained indefinitely, but would require payment of an extra tax on the sales of trademarked goods and services.

Further details on my country will be available after I appear at my next seance. (Who else did you think would be the all wise eternal president of my country but me?)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »

warm and free with gentle sea breezes.  no winter, but permanently snow-capped mountains for those who enjoy skiing.  tropical fruits.  affordable meats.  fine wine and liquors.  good public transit.  no car alarms.  no arson, murder, or rape.  a wide range of economic and educational opportunities for all.  a literate and well-educated public.  prosperity.  no poverty.  low rates of obesity, cancer, and illness.  no national or official language.  no terrorists.  no political correctness.  no bigotry.  no fences.  no political parties.  no national flag.  no legislature.  no courts. just a benevolent and wise dictator with an infinitely long lifespan who always makes the best decisions with respect to economic prosperity for all.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »

Alas I'm not allowed to do so, but I'm sure you could imagine it if you tried.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »

Is it safe to say guillotines and lions are part of the description?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2013, 05:44:58 PM »

Is it safe to say guillotines and lions are part of the description?

Sure but I doubt those are the part that would get me in trouble. Wink
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2013, 12:12:46 AM »

God, I'd hate 'my' country to resemble myself and my own psychology in any way. I get enough of myself when I'm alone anyway so why would I want to be physically surrounded by my ideas?
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2013, 05:58:32 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »

Interesting thread, bumping for a reply.

Cassland

Cassland is an island nation located somewhere to the south-west of the British Isles. Originally settled by the migrating 'Cassite' tribes, the nation has a rich history, of which little can be spoken of here.

Government and Politics

Cassland is a constitutional monarchy, with the current head of state being King John VII, who has sat upon the throne since 1977. The monarch retains numerous formal powers, such as the power to dissolve the House of Commons and the power to veto it's legislation, but rarely exercises these prerogatives outside of his day to day duties. Parliament, the chief law-making body in the land, is divided into two equal houses; the House of Commons (composed of MP's elected to represent the different boroughs and shires of the nation) and the House of Lords and Clergy (composed of hereditary, appointed and spiritual peers). The current Prime Minister is Sir Ian Ruthven-Ferguson, who has served in the position since 2002.

There are two primary parties in Cassland, and these parties have existed for roughly 300 years; the Tories and the Whigs. There are few ideological differences between the two parties (although the Tories are generally seen as more socially conservative and internationally interventionist) and, in recent years, they have been criticised as simply being two wings of the 'establishment party'. However, it should be pointed out that these parties are very informal organisations with little standing in law (but a strong social standing) and thus the parties (if not their respective leaderships) represent a wide range of opinions. For example, the Whigs in particular are home to numerous factions, from the business oriented 'Liberal' faction, to the rurally minded and western 'Country' faction. In addition to the 'big two' a number of independents sit in the House of Commons, largely representing local concerns, as well as a few members of the relatively puny 'Labour' party.

Society
Casslanders are regarded as being thoroughly conservative, and yet at the same time gregarious, folk. 88.1 percent of the population identifies as Roman Catholic (although there is a strong Protestant presence in the eastern boroughs), and the Church exercises a large degree of informal influence in society. The country itself is largely rural, with a few large boroughs serving as centres of trade and financial services. Schooling is made up of a patchwork of private, Church, borough-run and charity schools. Healthcare follows a similar pattern. Aside from the Church, other institutions, such as the aristocracy, big business (by Casslander standards), local government, the armed forces and the 'Casslander Association' hold a great deal of sway in society.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »

Interesting thread, bumping for a reply.

Cassland

Cassland is an island nation located somewhere to the south-west of the British Isles. Originally settled by the migrating 'Cassite' tribes, the nation has a rich history, of which little can be spoken of here.

Government and Politics

Cassland is a constitutional monarchy, with the current head of state being King John VII, who has sat upon the throne since 1977. The monarch retains numerous formal powers, such as the power to dissolve the House of Commons and the power to veto it's legislation, but rarely exercises these prerogatives outside of his day to day duties. Parliament, the chief law-making body in the land, is divided into two equal houses; the House of Commons (composed of MP's elected to represent the different boroughs and shires of the nation) and the House of Lords and Clergy (composed of hereditary, appointed and spiritual peers). The current Prime Minister is Sir Ian Ruthven-Ferguson, who has served in the position since 2002.

There are two primary parties in Cassland, and these parties have existed for roughly 300 years; the Tories and the Whigs. There are few ideological differences between the two parties (although the Tories are generally seen as more socially conservative and internationally interventionist) and, in recent years, they have been criticised as simply being two wings of the 'establishment party'. However, it should be pointed out that these parties are very informal organisations with little standing in law (but a strong social standing) and thus the parties (if not their respective leaderships) represent a wide range of opinions. For example, the Whigs in particular are home to numerous factions, from the business oriented 'Liberal' faction, to the rurally minded and western 'Country' faction. In addition to the 'big two' a number of independents sit in the House of Commons, largely representing local concerns, as well as a few members of the relatively puny 'Labour' party.

Society
Casslanders are regarded as being thoroughly conservative, and yet at the same time gregarious, folk. 88.1 percent of the population identifies as Roman Catholic (although there is a strong Protestant presence in the eastern boroughs), and the Church exercises a large degree of informal influence in society. The country itself is largely rural, with a few large boroughs serving as centres of trade and financial services. Schooling is made up of a patchwork of private, Church, borough-run and charity schools. Healthcare follows a similar pattern. Aside from the Church, other institutions, such as the aristocracy, big business (by Casslander standards), local government, the armed forces and the 'Casslander Association' hold a great deal of sway in society.

Christ that's depressing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies