What issues have you evolved on in your time at the Atlas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 02:57:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What issues have you evolved on in your time at the Atlas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: What issues have you evolved on in your time at the Atlas?  (Read 7247 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:49:29 AM »
« edited: May 11, 2013, 11:01:11 AM by HockeyDude »

I can't believe I said this in 2004...

I really have no idea why we are nominating him........

There, there.  It's okay.  There's always 2008 to look forward to.  Things just might go your way then.  But beware: Hillary is running that year and she'll do no better than Kerry.  Edwards is the guy this year, and in 2008 too...if you guys really want to win the White House.

BTW, I think it's really cool that you're against abortion.  That's the first thing your party needs to change its position on.  More power to people like you!!

Thanx, we really do need to change our position on that, it seems like most dems are only pro-choice cause reps are pro-life.  

Nothing religous in my stance like you see with lots of pro-life people, I'm just anti-killing.  

I'm also shocked that I said this about affirmative action.  What a stupid little ****** I was.

most social issues- very liberal, minus death penalty and affirmative action (including any program REQUIRING companies to hire women and minorities)

Also went from identifying as "agnostic" to "atheist"... but I'm not sure I actually believe anything different.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »

Ten years so let's see.

I went from a signed up member of the Labour Party to quitting and joining the Tories and standing for election and then resigning my membership (though I still support them) I'm moved from liberal Scott-like hangwringing Christian to atheist and from anti to pro independence. I've always been pro gay rights, pro-choice and anti-death penalty. On economics I've always taken a typical European Liberal viewpoint but in time of hardship support move government intervention than in times of good. I also don't really care much for politics anymore.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »

I've only been here for less than two years, so not much has changed.  Although, I have become less libertarian in general.  I've also become more religious, but that likely wasn't influenced by anything I've seen on this site.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:10:21 AM »

On economics I've always taken a typical European Liberal viewpoint but in time of hardship support move government intervention than in times of good.

Your 2.45 E score still bewilders me. Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »

If you look at my posting history you will note that at the beginning of my time here I was pretty much a libertarian hack.  Now days most people probably think of me as "that asshole populist guy" due to my rhetoric.

Also, while I overall agree with most of my social stances from when I first joined up, I think it's safe to say that I hold those positions nowdays for different reasons than I did back then.  For instance, in 2009 I was a pro-choice hack who thought that abortion was justified as an act of self defense in the part of a woman to defend against a parasitic invader.  Now days I'm one of those "nobody likes abortion" pro-choicers, if that makes any sense.  Also, while I'm still overall pretty pro-gun rights, I'm nowhere as near as paranoid as I used to be on the issue.

So yeah, views have evolved quite a bit.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2013, 01:21:09 PM by Torie »

It is not due to what happened on the Atlas, but during my time here, I have become less of a neo-con, and less interventionist in foreign policy. I have learned my lesson by virtue of events as they ensued. I simply did not know enough about Iraq and Afghanistan at the time, although I did oppose the mission creep in Afghanistan from the start, because it seemed like a counterproductive fools errand to me. Bush got carried away with the Wilsonian ideal of making the planet safe for democracy, and he pulled me along with him more than I would like to admit (but in my defense, at the time, I thought Bush had done a lot more due diligence than he in fact did - I simply did not adequately have "his number" as it were back then).

One needs to pick one's shots a lot more carefully, and with a lot more due diligence than he did. Bush simply did not do his homework. One of Bush's greatest flaws, is that he was insufficiently intellectually curious, and did not ask enough questions. It that department, Clinton literally ran laps around Bush. That was one of his greatest strengths, He seemed, and seems, to know everything about everything, even if honesty is not his strongest suit.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »

I first joined the forum 9 years ago as BushAlva.  In that time, I've gone from anti-gay rights to pro gay rights with minor relapses back.  I've gone from an extremely conservative Republican to a moderate Democrat.  My views on abortion haven't really changed as I've always been pro-life.  I've evolved slightly on capital punishment from very much in favor, to "in favor, but only if another life was terminated as a result of the crime".  My biggest change has come in economics, I've gone from extremely conservative to moderaly liberal.  Oh, and I've gone from mostly respected to mostly disdained, so I must be doing something right!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »

Ten years so let's see.

I went from a signed up member of the Labour Party to quitting and joining the Tories and standing for election and then resigning my membership (though I still support them) I'm moved from liberal Scott-like hangwringing Christian to atheist and from anti to pro independence. I've always been pro gay rights, pro-choice and anti-death penalty. On economics I've always taken a typical European Liberal viewpoint but in time of hardship support move government intervention than in times of good. I also don't really care much for politics anymore.

What caused you to become a Scottish nationalist, afleitch?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 01:32:07 PM »

About a year ago when I first got on here, I was a generic libertarian except with conservative views on immigration and being pro-death penalty. I've moderated my tone and my economic stances in a few cases, and became very left-wing on immigration and the death penalty.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 01:33:33 PM »

I've really not dramatically changed on much, I've just become more informed and improved my writing skills. I've taken more positions on issues I was formerly ambivalent on due to gaining more knowledge and seeing more events unfold (like gun control), so that's basically the only way I've "evolved" in my time here. The only issue I can think of doing a complete turnaround on has been European Union. The core of my beliefs have remained the same, they've just become more comprehensive and thought out.

I've matured in my beliefs, but they haven't really changed.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »

Well, on European Union, problems weren't obvious until the crisis and the main argument against was "loss of national soveignty", which is quite nationalist.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »

I joined in 2008, and as far as issues I've "evolved" on since then, I really don't know--I guess not too many.  I've become decidedly less interested in American politics in the past year, so, if it can be described as "evolution," there is that.  Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 01:47:47 PM »

Not much if anything. The main political change I've gone through over the last couple years has been my slow evolution away from the idea that some politicians were actually decent and even somewhat honest. Years ago I was a bit more of a partisan hack than I am these days, though that transition occurred before I came to the Atlas. Nowadays I finally admit in public as well as private that the most promising virtue of the Republicans at this point is simply their not being the Democrats. I can imagine many of those on the other side of the aisle feel essentially the same beyond whatever spin facade they use to shroud reality. It is all a spin game.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »

I was an idiot kid when I first joined. I don't think this site changed me so much as going away to college, when I broke free from my home and really saw how the rest of the country lived. I suppose I became more compassionate for my fellow man.

I'd say I am a much better person today than when I joined this site 9 years ago. That said, I still have a lot of work to do.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 02:04:45 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2013, 02:08:07 PM by bgwah »

My actual politics haven't changed a lot. I would say I was a little more libertarian earlier on, and have moved to the left since then. I fully support universal healthcare now, which I was kind of neutral and indecisive on for a while.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 02:05:18 PM »

What does that symbol mean opebo?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »

My actual politics haven't changed a lot. I would say I was a little more libertarian earlier on, and have moved to the left since then.

Atlas Forum: Delibertarianizing people since 2002
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »

You've never heard of Republican Opebo?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 02:09:40 PM »

Yes, I have. I still don't understand the symbol.  Maybe I should get out more, but I don't.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »

Yes, I have. I still don't understand the symbol.  Maybe I should get out more, but I don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_and_yang
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »

Ah, thanks. Opebo is a fan of Jung I guess. Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 02:39:07 PM »

My actual politics haven't changed a lot. I would say I was a little more libertarian earlier on, and have moved to the left since then.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »

When I started posting here, I was very interested in political debate and in hearing others' political opinions. Now I have little interest in the opinions of people who disagree with me.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »

But the "yin-yang symbol" is not about processes that are complete, but is instead about a process that is ever ongoing.  So, maybe there is still a bit of Republican opebo in the current Democratic opebo.  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies