The joys of resume writing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:44:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The joys of resume writing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The joys of resume writing  (Read 697 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »

If you are like me, writing your own resume is just as much fun as having thumb smashed by a hammer.  In fact, I would much rather write resumes for 10 people than sit down and work on my own, but I think I've found the next most annoying thing.

A friend called late last night asking if I would help her put together her resume for an interview she has tomorrow morning.  I said, "No problem.  Send me what you have."  Obviously, she had nothing.  After sending her my latest resume (that I did last year) as a guide, she sends me back an almost blank page with just one or two words describing what she did in each of her jobs. 

Really?  That's all you can do???

I sent it back to her with  questions for each entry, trying to pull some details out of her to attempt to fill in the blanks.  I do get more material to work from on the next version, but still, it's incredibly weak.

I don't mind helping, but I hate trying to figure out exactly what you do when all you list are responses to an AdLib game.  (If I had hair, I'd be pulling it out by now.)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 02:39:41 PM »

Mrs. Grumps has a Masters in Human Resources and her SPHR designation, so she make sure the resumes are el perfecto when she helps someone.......but it's frustrating for her to drag out all of the information....have fun, MODU.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:40:57 PM »

Be liberal with words. For example, turn waitress into culinary delivery engineer.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 02:41:27 PM »

Mrs. Grumps has a Masters in Human Resources and her SPHR designation, so she make sure the resumes are el perfecto when she helps someone.......but it's frustrating for her to drag out all of the information....have fun, MODU.

Is she for hire?  HAHAHA
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »

Is she for hire?  HAHAHA

She's headed to Ireland Saturday so I suppose she'd like some extra spend money........sure Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »

Uh oh, do I need to call in a babysitter for you?  Smiley

Here's an example of what I received (after asking for additional input):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Translated that into:

At east it is in a logical format (and sounds like something an adult did).  She's responsible for "polishing" the resume.  I can't do all of it for her.  hahaha
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »

Make sure you include any awards at work/school/community/etc....none are too small
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »

Make sure you include any awards at work/school/community/etc....none are too small

^^^

One more reason why you should update your resume annually, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel each time you want to find a new job. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »

Resume, resume, ooh la la...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 09:09:49 PM »

This one has been bugging me for a while. Do you guys explicitly link something in the job description with what you did?

Ex: I TA Intro to Business at my school

Career centre has been encouraging students to do this, but it feels weird and slightly condescending to the employer.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 01:35:23 AM »

I'm about ready to get my resume back up and running after I get back from Africa.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »

I'm in a co-op program so my resume is a bit of a special format designed only for co-op placements, but it's a real bitch to do because they want us to use "action verbs" and stuff like that to describe everything and we did and focus our entire resumes on skills we learned. Thankfully after two work-terms, there's actual meat in the resume, because before I started co-op my only jobs had been stuff like scrutineering elections and being a security guard for a day.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 11:20:28 AM »

Yes, action verbs are trendy in resumes.
Begin sentences by action verbs apparently puts to focus on actions you did and it's always to look like an active person, I was said.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies