Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 10:51:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"  (Read 174107 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: May 31, 2013, 10:16:41 PM »

Here we go.  We've got a PDS Tornado Watch for much of South Central, Central, North Central, and Northeastern Oklahoma.

i have a problem with the pds system and how it is arbitrarily used.

if one ef2 tornado hits downtown st. louis and is the only tornado touchdown in a particular watch box..isnt that more dangerous than multiple ef4 or highers that touch down over remote south dakota farmland?  

It's all about statistics.  Although I can't think of a time that a PDS watch has been issued for South Dakota.

They're used when there is a significantly high chance of multiple strong tornadoes.  How is that "arbitrary"?

as far as i know a pds is left to the discretion of the forecaster.  that is arbitrary.

i understand the point of the pds, but there are flaws.

if a tornado is heading straight to you, that is a particularly dangerous situation.

No, I don't believe it is left solely to a forecaster's discretion.  There are set guidelines and ranges for probabilities, but nothing that is 100% defined.

You're talking about watches and warnings as if they're the same thing, and they're not.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1601 on: May 31, 2013, 10:18:40 PM »

Tornado watches also don't mean jack. Putting you under a heart attack watch would be much more meaningful.

Thunderstorms are starting to fire.  With a watch of this caliber it is time for everybody in Central Oklahoma to pay attention.  We've already gone wall to wall.

I'm not sure why they go "wall-to-wall" so early, if this is actually true.  There weren't even storms forming yet when you posted this.  The watch had barely been issued.  Overdoing it that early is one of the reasons people ignore warnings when they're actually important.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1602 on: May 31, 2013, 10:19:38 PM »

Your posts may serve a purpose, but last time you did this, I pointed out numerous flaws in your analysis.  I see you've stopped doing so much "forecasting" this time, which is for the best.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1603 on: May 31, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »

ALSO, POSTING IN ALL CAPS IS VERY ANNOYING.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1604 on: May 31, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »

Tornado watches also don't mean jack. Putting you under a heart attack watch would be much more meaningful.

Thunderstorms are starting to fire.  With a watch of this caliber it is time for everybody in Central Oklahoma to pay attention.  We've already gone wall to wall.

I'm not sure why they go "wall-to-wall" so early, if this is actually true.  There weren't even storms forming yet when you posted this.  The watch had barely been issued.  Overdoing it that early is one of the reasons people ignore warnings when they're actually important.

Storms were just barely beginning to fire.  They started when there was a cloud plume.  What they were doing was setting the stage, get people prepared, and urging people to settle in for the evening.   Plus, they were reporting of all the events in Oklahoma City that were cancelled or postponed and kept harping to keep everybody safe.  It was already just 15 minutes before the 4:00 News came on, so they might as well.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1605 on: May 31, 2013, 10:25:55 PM »

Your posts may serve a purpose, but last time you did this, I pointed out numerous flaws in your analysis.  I see you've stopped doing so much "forecasting" this time, which is for the best.

Yeah, I do some analysis of what's happening, basically regurgitating what the local media is saying and mostly posting the text of the warnings.  A lot of the forecasting I do is shared or copied from the NWS Norman Office or from meteorologists a lot more experienced than myself.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1606 on: May 31, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »

I do that and my friend does that on her blog to draw people's attention.  Especially for Tornado Warnings or tornadoes on the ground.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1607 on: May 31, 2013, 10:27:56 PM »

Ugh!  You tried doing forecasting again.  Let's analyze what's wrong with your posts:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Like I pointed out last time, energy isn't what affects rotation.  That's wind shear.

What is "severe rotation"?  Do you mean "severe" as in a severe thunderstorm warning or do you mean strong rotation?  Using "severe rotation" is a confusing term that should never be used.

There are rules on capitalization.

Who is we?  And what about those storms was "nearly severe"?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1608 on: May 31, 2013, 11:27:49 PM »

I'm glad that at least Inks reads Bushie's weather updates. That way Bushie can learn more about weather and, thus, some purpose is served. Without that, there'd be no point at all.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1609 on: May 31, 2013, 11:44:03 PM »

"One thing in our favor is there are so many storms that they're competing with each other for the same energy. "

lol
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1610 on: May 31, 2013, 11:58:43 PM »

Dude tomatoes are the tits. I eat them plain all the time, especially home grown in the summer. It's like the best thing. Better than shoving burgers down your throat. What did u eat for dinner!?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1611 on: June 01, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »

"One thing in our favor is there are so many storms that they're competing with each other for the same energy. "

lol

Actually, he's on the right track there.  If you have a bunch of storms competing for the same energy aloft, you'll tend to have weaker storms.  But they need to be close in proximity, and it depends on the convective inhibition and convective available potential energy.  I also have no clue if that actually happened today, as I didn't follow the storms.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1612 on: June 01, 2013, 12:04:51 AM »

I did have fast food for dinner last night (Friday night), but a smaller hamburger than normal.  It wasn't McDonald's.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1613 on: June 01, 2013, 12:06:03 AM »

I did have fast food for dinner last night (Friday night), but a smaller hamburger than normal.  It wasn't McDonald's.

Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger?  That's not much healthier.  Dude... you have fast food what? 4-5 times a week?  That's insane.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1614 on: June 01, 2013, 12:06:29 AM »

lol

Actually, he's on the right track there.  If you have a bunch of storms competing for the same energy aloft, you'll tend to have weaker storms.  But they need to be close in proximity, and it depends on the convective inhibition and convective available potential energy.  I also have no clue if that actually happened today, as I didn't follow the storms.

The storm that produced the tornado was on the south end of all those cluster and there was nothing to its south, so it could breathe and get all the energy it needed.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1615 on: June 01, 2013, 12:07:05 AM »

Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger?  That's not much healthier.  Dude... you have fast food what? 4-5 times a week?  That's insane.

We were in a pinch trying to get supper out of the way before the storms started firing.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1616 on: June 01, 2013, 12:10:09 AM »

We were in a pinch trying to get supper out of the way before the storms started firing.

You had supper at 3 in the afternoon?  And just because you go to a fast food place doesn't mean you have to get a burger.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1617 on: June 01, 2013, 12:13:05 AM »

Lololol this is hilar totes hilar!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1618 on: June 01, 2013, 12:16:12 AM »

Did you have a traumatic experience with a chicken sandwich when you were a child, Bushie?  Perhaps choked on tomato skin?  Got food poisoning from salmonella laced lettuce leaf?

Or maybe the opposite.  Did a cow molest you as a youngin' and then you've vowed to eat nothing but beef and dairy for the rest of your life?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1619 on: June 01, 2013, 12:40:06 AM »

It is hilarious that everyone thinks that because I had 3 hot dogs with chips 2 bowls of rice krispies 4 sloppy joes with chips Mexican food 2 plates of bacon and eggs with toast a stuffed burrito with queso sauce 2 hotdogs and a bowl of Ramen noodles 2 grilled hamburgers an ice cream drumstick IHOP  a "smaller" McDonalds combo 2 taco salads 2 beans and cornbread 2 Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuits and a hash brown a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger with fries last night that I threw everything I was told earlier in the day out the window for good.  That is absolutely hilarious.  We've got a lot of comedians here. Smiley
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1620 on: June 01, 2013, 02:48:35 AM »

I don't think I actually know anybody who eats as bad as Bushie does, and I'm in college.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1621 on: June 01, 2013, 08:46:37 AM »

It is hilarious that everyone thinks that because I had 3 hot dogs with chips 2 bowls of rice krispies 4 sloppy joes with chips Mexican food 2 plates of bacon and eggs with toast a stuffed burrito with queso sauce 2 hotdogs and a bowl of Ramen noodles 2 grilled hamburgers an ice cream drumstick IHOP  a "smaller" McDonalds combo 2 taco salads 2 beans and cornbread 2 Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuits and a hash brown a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger with fries last night that I threw everything I was told earlier in the day out the window for good.  That is absolutely hilarious.  We've got a lot of comedians here. Smiley
Don't forget the Enchilada Casserole. I also remember from an old season that his grandmother makes Jello with cheese.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1622 on: June 01, 2013, 12:34:24 PM »

Did you really just say that?

This has officially jumped the shark.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1623 on: June 01, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »

Why won't you eat chickens, Bushie?  I mean, however much you may love chickens, you do realize that the feeling isn't mutual, don't you?  If a chicken had the chance, it would eat you and everyone you care about.

In any case, if you won't eat the rest of the chicken, will you at least eat the wings?  You can then tell yourself that you're not really responsible for any chicken deaths.  You're only responsible for chickens lacking flight.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1624 on: June 01, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »

I just don't understand why Bushie's parents are taking their morbidly obese son to fast food outlets. It'd be akin to taking him on a bar crawl if he were an alcoholic or to Vegas if he were gambling addict. And it's their money too - they literally have the power to completely cut out fast food, soda, sports-watching for 8 hours a day, and all of Bushie's bad habits from his regimen.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies