Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:05:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"  (Read 172040 times)
Marston
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: May 28, 2013, 07:29:27 PM »

The Peace Corps has pretty specific BMI ranges for medical clearance before services. Let me know your height and I'll see what the maximum borderline weight you can be at to pass that portion of the medical clearance process.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1326 on: May 28, 2013, 07:50:22 PM »

The Peace Corps has pretty specific BMI ranges for medical clearance before services. Let me know your height and I'll see what the maximum borderline weight you can be at to pass that portion of the medical clearance process.

5' 8"
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1327 on: May 28, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »

5' 8"

Yeah, you need lose about 100 lbs to join the service.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1328 on: May 28, 2013, 08:11:18 PM »

Bushie why were you rejected from the navy?  Weight? If so, why didnt you lose weight and try again?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1329 on: May 28, 2013, 08:19:03 PM »

And if he wants to lose 100 pounds, he should stop thinking about trips to McDonalds unless he can learn to eat grilled chicken or....salad!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1330 on: May 28, 2013, 08:20:47 PM »

Bushie why were you rejected from the navy?  Weight? If so, why didnt you lose weight and try again?

I was rejected due to having to get back on my medication for my Tourette's.  I was a normal weight in the Summer 2000 when I visited the recruiter.  My weight would not have been a problem at the time, it was just my Tourette's and furthermore, my medication.
Marston
United States

« Reply #1331 on: May 28, 2013, 08:26:22 PM »

5' 8"

Pretty much, yeah. The maximum weight for a 5' 8'' male is 185 lbs. It's not completely unheard of for someone who is borderline (like, say 186-195 lbs) to gain medical clearance, but anything above the max will require an additional battery of medical tests to determine if an underlying medical condition is present.

Regardless, I'm pretty certain that being 200+ lbs will lead to an automatic deferral.

Obviously, BMI isn't the only criteria used to determine medical clearance. I don't know anything about your medical history beyond what you and others have posted in this thread, but I'd highly advise looking at the conditions that the Peace Corps usually cannot accommodate before you pursue this venture any further.  
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1332 on: May 28, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »

I've been doing some Google Searches and I found two vo-techs around the OKC Metro that offer CAD-Mechanical in 9 months.  I would much rather do that, because I could get a job anywhere around the country that has a strong engineering presence.  I would probably try to move back down to the Dallas area or up to the Kansas City area so I can stay close to Oklahoma City, but still be on my own.  Who knows, I may even try to move out to Memphis. Tongue

Tomorrow morning, I am going to first call Metro Technology Centers, the vo-tech where I have already applied and ask if they have CAD-Mechanical.  If they don't, then I will immediately call the Moore-Norman Technology Center which is the next closest vo-tech that offers what I want and see what it would take to get in line for the CAD program there.  The third option is Francis Tuttle Technology Center in far west Oklahoma City, though I would probably put NWOSU ahead of Francis-Tuttle.  I've already taken the Compass Test which is good for any vo-tech around the state, so all I would have to do is fill out the application, pay the application fee of $15, and route my financial aid information to Moore-Norman.  I could get that all done in one day if I wanted to.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1333 on: May 28, 2013, 08:30:03 PM »

5' 8"

Pretty much, yeah. The maximum weight for a 5' 8'' male is 185 lbs. It's not completely unheard of for someone who is borderline (like, say 186-195 lbs) to gain medical clearance, but anything above the max will require an additional battery of medical tests to determine if an underlying medical condition is present.

Regardless, I'm pretty certain that being 200+ lbs will lead to an automatic deferral.

Obviously, BMI isn't the only criteria used to determine medical clearance. I don't know anything about your medical history beyond what you and others have posted in this thread, but I'd highly advise looking at the conditions that the Peace Corps usually cannot accommodate before you pursue this venture any further.  

I can't find any link that tells me what conditions they can or cannot accommodate.  Can you provide?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1334 on: May 28, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »

This is the program I'm thinking about -

http://mntechnology.com/classes/career-majors/cad-technician-mechanical
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1335 on: May 28, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »

I thought you settled on Alva?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1336 on: May 28, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »

He doesn't know what he wants. It changes every day.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1337 on: May 28, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »

Good Tuesday Evening!  I found out this morning that I can indeed upgrade my Computer Science minor to a major.  I need 21 hours to finish the upgrade and depending on the course availability, I should get it done in 2 semesters.  I have looked at the Computer Science Course Rotation and I should be able to get it done in 2 semesters.  I am going to call the vo-tech tomorrow morning and ask the counselor if they offer CAD-Mechanical.  Right now, I am signed up for CAD-Architecture.  If I can't get CAD-Mechanical, as its not on the website, then I will probably get my Application for Readmission to NWOSU started Thursday.

I sounds great that you have made a decision (even if there is still a "probably"). Next step is to stick to it and don't have too many balls in the air at one time.

So your priorities now are:

1. CAD-Mechanical, if available
2. Upgrading to Computer Science major, if possible in 2 semesters

I think you should put the Peace Corps dream on hold until you have accomplished one of these goals. Also 2 semesters is likely the maximum you can handle, both financially and otherwise, so drop the upgrade if there is any doubt as to whether you can do it in 2 semesters.

Those are my two priorities in the same order.  I might add a number 3 - CAD-Architecture if neither mechanical or the upgrade are available.

I will have to have a job by next summer, so two semesters is about all I could do.

That's not a bad idea on the Peace Corps.
Marston
United States

« Reply #1338 on: May 28, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »

5' 8"

I can't find any link that tells me what conditions they can or cannot accommodate.  Can you provide?

http://www.kagoon.com/peace-corps-medical-information-for-applicants-in-order-to-help-protect-the-health/main
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1339 on: May 28, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »

5' 8"

I can't find any link that tells me what conditions they can or cannot accommodate.  Can you provide?

http://www.kagoon.com/peace-corps-medical-information-for-applicants-in-order-to-help-protect-the-health/main

What does "deferred" mean?  The only condition I have on the deferred list is the High Blood Pressure.  It says

"High Blood Pressure – 3 months well controlled under
treatment; weight within medically recommended range"
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1340 on: May 28, 2013, 09:21:32 PM »

He doesn't know what he wants. It changes every day.

He wants what is least likely.  Trying and failing is the goal.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1341 on: May 28, 2013, 10:03:20 PM »

Oh, definitely. He's setting goals he cannot achieve, knowing fully he cannot achieve them, and continues forward with them knowing he will fail and knowing he can use that failure as another excuse not to move forward. The chances he loses 100 pounds to get in the Peace Corps are zero, and I'd be willing to bet all the money in the world on that.

He wants to be an adult, being independent, taking care of kids, having a family, etc, but does not want to put the work into it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1342 on: May 28, 2013, 10:28:07 PM »

Oh, definitely. He's setting goals he cannot achieve, knowing fully he cannot achieve them, and continues forward with them knowing he will fail and knowing he can use that failure as another excuse not to move forward. The chances he loses 100 pounds to get in the Peace Corps are zero, and I'd be willing to bet all the money in the world on that.

He wants to be an adult, being independent, taking care of kids, having a family, etc, but does not want to put the work into it.

What goals are unreachable?  The Peace Corps is a difficult goal, but it is not unreachable.  Living in Kenya is definitely not unreachable.  Furthering my education is ludicrous to think unattainable.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1343 on: May 28, 2013, 10:44:13 PM »

When do you plan on having lost 100 lbs?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1344 on: May 28, 2013, 10:51:24 PM »

When do you plan on having lost 100 lbs?

Within the next 18 months.  That's about as fast as I can do it without sending my body into shock.

I've already lost 6 lbs.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1345 on: May 28, 2013, 11:00:30 PM »

How much has your weight changed in the last 18 months?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1346 on: May 28, 2013, 11:01:46 PM »

Maybe Bushie should try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machinist#Production
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1347 on: May 28, 2013, 11:12:50 PM »

How much has your weight changed in the last 18 months?

I've lost 16 pounds in the past 18 months.  If people remember, I peaked at 285 in late 2011, and then lost 25 pounds through mid-February 2012, but then slowly gained 15 pounds over the 15 months before losing 6 again.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1348 on: May 28, 2013, 11:50:14 PM »

And if he wants to lose 100 pounds, he should stop thinking about trips to McDonalds unless he can learn to eat grilled chicken or....salad!

It's sad that we can't get him to walk 2 days in a row, but he's convinced that he'll walk across campus for McDonald's.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1349 on: May 28, 2013, 11:51:44 PM »

What goals are unreachable?  The Peace Corps is a difficult goal, but it is not unreachable.  Living in Kenya is definitely not unreachable.  Furthering my education is ludicrous to think unattainable.

Until you can at least walk 7 days in a row, yes, losing 100 lbs. is entirely unreachable.  So far, you're at, what?  1 or 2 days in a row?  You're a LONG way off.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies