General Thoughts on Presidential candidates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:11:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  General Thoughts on Presidential candidates
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: General Thoughts on Presidential candidates  (Read 1255 times)
AuH2O
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2005, 11:11:41 PM »

One thought that I had recently, and that seemed to be important but may or not be, concerns Governorships. Much has been made of certain Republican states where Democrats have been elected Governor (Kansas, Oklahoma, etc.)-- or vice-versa -- in the past few years.

Democrats are of course happy because it makes them (wrongly) feel that they can generally compete in those states. Additionally, they (rightly) feel this type of Democrat could be an especially strong Presidential candidate. The Bredesens and Warners are now receiving quite a bit of attention.

There is, however, a flip side to this equation. A Democrat Governor in a deep red state can become vulnerable very quickly. Presidential prospects, then, are very likely to be produced from such a race-- either the Democrat wins reelection and proves they can win in GOP states, or a Republican emerges onto the national scene.

Now this isn't a big factor in '08, since you need to be somewhat established, but something to keep in mind nonetheless.

Potential future Governors with national aspirations:

Ken Blackwell, OH
JC Watts, OK
JD Hayworth, AZ
Ralph Reed, GA
Todd Tiahrt, KS
Jerry Kilgore, VA

(this applies to both parties even though I just listed Republicans here)

As far as 2008, since in a couple days I'll have nothing to do for a little while, I'll make a Vegas-style odds list of potential '08 nominees. The GOP one should go 30 deep and the Democrats might be more like 25 (the GOP has more Governors and Senators). Granted, people at the end will be like 250:1, but why not?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 11:17:41 PM »

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Some online gambling sites already have odd's for the 2008 presidential nominees.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 11:24:07 PM »

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Some online gambling sites already have odd's for the 2008 presidential nominees.

Very innacurate im my opinion !!! Wink

I'm kind of a gambler so I've seen them, most sites it's just to win the Presidency not the nomination... it's actually great for humor, Al Sharpton 750:1 LOL

Seriously I should post some of the lines, they are hilarious. Bill Clinton 250:1 LOLOLOLOLOL
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies