A speech I have to give.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:00:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  A speech I have to give.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A speech I have to give.  (Read 667 times)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:28:21 PM »

Guys, I'm running for Stu. Co reporter, and I want your opinion on the speech that I have written.

Here it is, the first draft.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Please post what you think.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:22:47 AM »

When I was pledging in a fraternity (go ahead, laugh), everyone interested in running for a pledge class officer gave a speech. About half of the folks listed their accomplishments and why they felt those experiences make them a leader, and the other half said what you have proposed, which is essentially the "I don't want to bore you with my troubles" (Sorry, I'm in a Donell Jones mood tonight) speech. All of the winners (myself included) were in the half that listed their accomplishments.

I guess it comes down to how serious your crowd is taking your speech. If they actually give a rip about it and aren't giving in to personality politics, I'd highly recommend you go the route I went and delve into your personal accomplishments. If you don't think your audience cares too much, I would go with what you put (which is pretty good, I might add). Smiley

I hope you found this helpful - I've had a lot of recent experience with this sort of stuff, so would be happy to help further if you'd like. Smiley
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:25:31 AM »

I have to give the speech to both Jr High and Sr. High, and Jr High really doesn't care what I say, but Sr High would care a bit more.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »

Also, I think that I might be unopposed, with three other of the officers.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 04:30:32 AM »

Hey, sport. A few years back I ran with Everitt for the office of vice president of Atlasia. We nearly won! Are you excited about my help yet? I have decided to lend you my experience but only if you promise to make the costs for all of the products in the vending machines in the cafeteria divisible by 10 because fuck nickels.

Here is my revised draft of your speech, including actions you need to take.

STAND BEFORE PODIUM, SMILING. SHOW TEETH

Hello and thank you all for taking the time to listen to me right now concerning what I am about to tell you at the present time. If you don't know me, my name is..

SQUINT, LOOK AT YOUR CARDS AND SHUFFLE THEM

...Jackson comma Jerry. I am running for the office of reporter for Student Council. This is an exciting opportunity for me to have extra credentials when I apply for a slightly more upmarket community college. I also am a big fan of reporting and cards, unlike most of us!

PAUSE FOR LAUGHTER. YOU'VE GOT THEM OFF GUARD NOW, GO IN FOR THE KILL

Now, I want to be real with you. That's why I've decided to take off some of my clothes.

TAKE OFF AS MUCH OF YOUR CLOTHES AS IS REQUIRED TO BE TAKEN REALLY

I'd like everyone to be aware as I continue that my nipples are so hard they could cut diamonds. I have no ideas about what to do in this job. I am being honest. I cannot make any promises because I have no idea how much actual leeway in this role I have for setting any sort of policy about anything. This is the student council for fucks sake! What am I going to help do, take the minutes while a couple of blowhards decide what sort of dress code is suitable for the prom? A prom that I will probably not get a date for? No, no, no. All I want is an excuse to not go home for a couple of hours a week. Why?

LOOK DOWN AT YOUR CARDS, COUGH. STICK YOUR BIG TOE INTO THE PIN YOU'VE PLACED IN YOUR $15 DRESS SHOES FROM TARGET, IF YOU ARE STILL WEARING THEM, UNTIL YOU FEEL THE TEARS FLOWING

Because my mom is a nympho, and every time I come home from school she's either riding my Dad, or one of your dads. I can't take it anymore. I'd give my left nut, and bear in mind that's like my favourite one, to not have to put up with that sh**t when I get home.

COUGH, WIPE THE TEARS AWAY WITH A TISSUE. BEFORE THROWING IT AWAY, SNIFF IT AND PUT THAT MILDLY PLEASED LOOK ON YOUR FACE. NOT A FACE THAT SAYS "THIS IS A DELICIOUS RISSOTO!!" JUST ONE THAT SAYS, "THIS IS THE THIRD DAY OF 75 DEGREE WEATHER IN A ROW, HOW NICE" LOOK BACK AT YOUR AUDIENCE. IF THEY TOO ARE CRYING, YOU'VE WON THE VOTE.

Thank you all for your time, and remember: Vote for Jackson! A vote for Jackson is a vote for the children.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »

It's about as hackneyed and cliched as it gets (I'm actually rolling my eyes at the "taking my suit jacket off" bit), but you might be going for that.

Also, the whole "no promises" thing leads into "so...what am I getting out of voting for you?"

Also, I am rolling my eyes so hard at "I can tell you this, I will do what you want, just tell me what that is."  Seriously?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »

In all seriousness, The Mikado is being kind.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »

Yes, vis a vis "just doing what you want," suppose A wants X, and B wants Y, and X and Y are mutually exclusive?  Being a mere conduit only works if there is consensus. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies