Ottawa vs Washington DC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:51:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Ottawa vs Washington DC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Ottawa

Washington DC

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Ottawa vs Washington DC  (Read 3876 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »

Yeah, but DC with skyscrapers is never going to look like that. First, DC is a much smaller city (only 600,000 or so people live in the city itself). And part of the reason NYC is so beautiful is because a lot of its skyscrapers are old. DC with skyscrapers would look like Baltimore or Minneapolis or something. Baltimore's fine, but the height limits ensure that DC looks unique and its skyline remains dominated by the Capitol and the Washington monument and the rest. The Virginia side of the Potomac doesn't have building height limits, and it's full of really ugly new office buildings and apartment high-rises. It's really, really awesome that you go pretty much anywhere in DC and still see the Washington monument on the horizon. If DC removes the building height limit, it would become a boring-looking midsize city; the shorter buildings contribute a lot to DC's unique culture and environment.

This is a really good (but long) article: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2012/11/urbanist-case-keeping-dcs-height-restrictions/3934/
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2013, 02:47:37 PM by traininthedistance »

Yeah, but DC with skyscrapers is never going to look like that. First, DC is a much smaller city (only 600,000 or so people live in the city itself). And part of the reason NYC is so beautiful is because a lot of its skyscrapers are old. DC with skyscrapers would look like Baltimore or Minneapolis or something. Baltimore's fine, but the height limits ensure that DC looks unique and its skyline remains dominated by the Capitol and the Washington monument and the rest. The Virginia side of the Potomac doesn't have building height limits, and it's full of really ugly new office buildings and apartment high-rises. It's really, really awesome that you go pretty much anywhere in DC and still see the Washington monument on the horizon. If DC removes the building height limit, it would become a boring-looking midsize city; the shorter buildings contribute a lot to DC's unique culture and environment.

This is a really good (but long) article: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2012/11/urbanist-case-keeping-dcs-height-restrictions/3934/

I think it's pretty obviously bunk that good skylines have to have old buildings to be good skylines.  Let's take a look at my other city, Philadelphia:

All of the tall buildings here date from 1987 or later: before then there was a "gentleman's agreement" not to build higher than the top of the City Hall tower (which is still higher than DC's current onerous shortness, mind).  They're pretty much all decent architecture, I think; and the city is immeasurably better off for their existence.

And, yes, Philadelphia is a much better point of comparison than Baltimore or Minneapolis.  Philly is the nation's sixth-largest metro area, Washington is seventh now (and growing more rapidly).  And that's seventh without adding Baltimore to get the CSA.  DC only seems smaller to untrained eyes because its city boundaries are penned in pretty closely, a la Boston or San Francisco.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »

BTW: If I don't do so within a day or two, remind me to get back to this article.  There are a whole bunch of holes and logical leaps in it that I don't have time to properly respond to at the moment; but I will at some point.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »

Hmm. I had no idea DC had height restrictions. It's kind of dumb here, because you can't see the peace tower from most of the city anyways. There are a few parts of the city where you can see it from afar though, which is remarkable given its relatively low height. I think the city has started letting building get bigger, as there are at least 10 buildings higher. Interestingly though, the highest building in the Metro area is on the other side of the river, in Quebec.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »

Here we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Ottawa%E2%80%93Gatineau

The Peace Tower is the 14th highest building in Ottawa-Gatineau. 12th highest in Ottawa and 8th highest in Downtown.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies