Is masturbation immoral?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:04:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is masturbation immoral?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Poll
Question: Is masturbation immoral?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 133

Author Topic: Is masturbation immoral?  (Read 29078 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2005, 02:36:36 PM »

The sin of Onan was not impregnate his wife to give his brother a descendancy.

Quoting this because no one notices the last post of a page.
The precise verses from Genesis are:

"And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also."

One could interpret "the thing which he did" in different ways.

Ever heard of context?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2005, 02:57:24 PM »

"And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

Ever heard of context?
Your rather curt response is entirely misdirected. I do not interpret the Bible one way or the other. I say that it can legitimately be interpreted in different ways.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2005, 03:02:51 PM »

Ever heard of context?
Your rather curt response is entirely misdirected. I do not interpret the Bible one way or the other. I say that it can legitimately be interpreted in different ways.

No, it can be interpreted in one right way and many wrong ways.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #203 on: August 01, 2005, 03:11:34 PM »

And you decide, of course, which interpretation is correct?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2005, 03:19:45 PM »

No. I'm not perfec and thus can make mistakes. I'm simply stating that there is one correct interpretation, even if we don't or can't know it totally.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2005, 03:22:10 PM »

No. I'm not perfec and thus can make mistakes. I'm simply stating that there is one correct interpretation, even if we don't or can't know it totally.

How do we know that God even intended one interpretation?  He may have wanted this.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2005, 03:27:03 PM »

How do we know that God even intended one interpretation?  He may have wanted this.

The fact that God may have wanteddifferent interpretations to arise has no bearing on the fact that one interpretation is true.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2005, 03:36:33 PM »

The fact that God may have wanteddifferent interpretations to arise has no bearing on the fact that one interpretation is true.
And how do you know that this is a "fact"?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #208 on: August 01, 2005, 03:43:27 PM »

How do you know it's not?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #209 on: August 01, 2005, 03:46:44 PM »

I am not the one who has made the assertion. The assertion was made by you: I said nothing.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2005, 03:51:34 PM »

I am not the one who has made the assertion. The assertion was made by you: I said nothing.
Even if you don't believe the writers of the Bible were not divinely inspired, they still wanted to put across some message in their writings. The interpretation that coincides with the message they were trying to transmit is the correct one.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2005, 04:00:14 PM »

Even if you don't believe the writers of the Bible were not divinely inspired, they still wanted to put across some message in their writings. The interpretation that coincides with the message they were trying to transmit is the correct one.
Let's accept that the Bible is a divinely inspired text.

Your argument relies on the presumption that God wanted to put across one single message. It is possible that God wanted to allow the readers to interpret it differently, for God to put across several messages.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2005, 04:03:34 PM »

Your argument relies on the presumption that God wanted to put across one single message. It is possible that God wanted to allow the readers to interpret it differently, for God to put across several messages.

I'll admit that's possible, but some verses clearly have one meaning, and are more-or-less absolute statements. So perhaps the Bible has some verses that are open to interpretation, and others that are not?

I'll admit, I'm much more inclined to believe that there is in fact ONE correct interpretation for almost all verses, even if we don't know what it is.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2005, 04:11:30 PM »

So there would be multiple right interpretations, but not infinite. Ie, mostninterpretations would still be wrong, and a few would be right. That is not the same as no interpretation being right.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2005, 04:29:47 PM »

So there would be multiple right interpretations, but not infinite. Ie, mostninterpretations would still be wrong, and a few would be right.
That's the point I was trying to make. More than one interpretation could be "correct."

That is what I meant when I said that the verses quoted from Genesis could be interpreted in more than one way.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2005, 04:32:29 PM »

So there would be multiple right interpretations, but not infinite. Ie, mostninterpretations would still be wrong, and a few would be right.
That's the point I was trying to make. More than one interpretation could be "correct."

That is what I meant when I said that the verses quoted from Genesis could be interpreted in more than one way.

There is, of course, nothing in which to base your a-priori, so the point is moot.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2005, 04:34:24 PM »

There is, of course, nothing in which to base your a-priori, so the point is moot.
And of course there is so much on which to base the assertion that the Bible is correct in the first place.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2005, 04:57:46 PM »

Anything remotely fun is "Immoral"
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2005, 09:21:26 PM »

I agree man.  I listed this thread as the funniest thing I've ever seen posted here.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2005, 03:24:33 AM »

And of course there is so much on which to base the assertion that the Bible is correct in the first place.

I thought I was in the mood for sea food. Oh, look, red herring.
MissCatholic

« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2005, 03:56:57 AM »

That's good of you to admit that.  Isn't masturbation healthy?

Well it releases chemicals that make you happy. Cant remember the name begins with S. But its the same chemical that you release when you eat chocolate or something that tastes really good. But medically it does clean up your functions. Men need to play with themselves more especially the prostate as if not monitored can be a cause of prostate cancer. Alot of older men get prostate cancer and their is a suspecion that it is due to impotency. As their cant play with themselves the sperm just builds up and leads to cancer. So it is helathy for men. Women i'm sure it is but just mentally. Hence we do it far less or alot of women never do it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2005, 04:16:29 AM »

By the way, John Kerry had prostate cancer... connect the dots.  Maybe he wasn't the Catholic in Name Only everyone said he was.  Wink
MissCatholic

« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2005, 04:19:42 AM »

By the way, John Kerry had prostate cancer... connect the dots.  Maybe he wasn't the Catholic in Name Only everyone said he was.  Wink

hehe i always wondered why teresa looked angry.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2005, 10:38:16 AM »

That's good of you to admit that.  Isn't masturbation healthy?

Well it releases chemicals that make you happy. Cant remember the name begins with S. But its the same chemical that you release when you eat chocolate or something that tastes really good. But medically it does clean up your functions. Men need to play with themselves more especially the prostate as if not monitored can be a cause of prostate cancer. Alot of older men get prostate cancer and their is a suspecion that it is due to impotency. As their cant play with themselves the sperm just builds up and leads to cancer. So it is helathy for men. Women i'm sure it is but just mentally. Hence we do it far less or alot of women never do it.

Well, I guess I'll never have to be concerned with prostate cancer then, eh? Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2005, 11:15:51 AM »

No. I'm not perfec and thus can make mistakes.
See. That's the difference between you and me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies