What's the Big Whoop With Prostitutes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 09:50:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What's the Big Whoop With Prostitutes?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What's the Big Whoop With Prostitutes?  (Read 1827 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »

Would you want a brothel on your Main Street?

It wouldn't particularly bother me.

Even better, if prostitution was legal and regulated then the state/city would create/designate a red light district and nobody would care.

Yup, shove the seedy underbelly away from polite society where it's bad effects won't be noticed by the respectable public.

That's the way it is every day in every big city regardless of legalized prostitution.

I know. If its going to be legal though, I want it out in the open. Let's air the dirty laundry out.

How is it dirty? 

Perhaps the wrong choice of words. My point being, if prostitution is going to be legal, I'd prefer it be out in the open in middle class neighbourhoods. Let the full effects be felt to the middle class person. Perhaps a brothel next to the dry cleaners.

If it's legalized the free market will determine where the brothels will be.  You might get your wish, Al.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »

Even better, if prostitution was legal and regulated then the state/city would create/designate a red light district and nobody would care.

Yup, shove the seedy underbelly away from polite society where it's bad effects won't be noticed by the respectable public.

That's the way it is every day in every big city regardless of legalized prostitution.

I know. If its going to be legal though, I want it out in the open. Let's air the dirty laundry out.

How is it dirty? 

Perhaps the wrong choice of words. My point being, if prostitution is going to be legal, I'd prefer it be out in the open in middle class neighbourhoods. Let the full effects be felt to the middle class person. Perhaps a brothel next to the dry cleaners.

If it's legalized the free market will determine where the brothels will be.  You might get your wish, Al.

My experience with stripper bar cases in Quebec is than it's zoning law of the cities which determine it.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »

I am fine with, and support, the legalization of sex work.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »

How is it dirty?  

I think the full effects might not really stretch beyond the realm of being offended.  I think at this point a simple display of courtesy could suffice.  Suppose you have the nice little suburban family taking the kids out to the ball game... couldn't they just say...

"Excuse me miss... would you mind slobbin' that knob back inside?"

If Junior asks what goes on inside the brothel, lie and tell him it's something boring like a library or Nickelback show.  (Hey!  They might even be playing on the speakers)
Link
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 04:28:56 PM »

This is being stated clearly for the second time in this thread.  Prostitutes work other places besides brothels.  I don't understand what is going on with some of the right leaning forum members from other countries.  If prostitution is legalized in America do they want government laws to upend the business and force all prostitutes to work in brothels that by law are next to elementary schools and churches?

Seriously what is with this bizarre fixation on a make believe scenario?
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »

It's one of those issues that people think "man it should be legal" but the second it gets brought up in an actual political discussion among elected officials, it would go down in flames.

It may be legal one day, but progress is always frustratingly slow.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies