Opinion of anti-trans feminists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:21:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of anti-trans feminists
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of anti-trans feminists
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Opinion of anti-trans feminists  (Read 4215 times)
pugbug
Rookie
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »

HP, because they're trying to run other people's lives by their own fear. It's these kind of women that make me hesitant to call myself a feminist, because they don't want equalization between the sexes and genders, they want to abolish anything man-related.

Labeling is a bitch, but I call myself an equalist; how else do I let people know that I'm all for equality? For some reason, maybe because I was born in the nineties, feminist always seemed like a fancy term for a man-hater, and although I know that's not how other people use it, I could never use it to describe myself.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »

BTW if you want to see something from the site linked in the OP that'll make you laugh instead of feel nauseous:

Oh and two of the most amusing strawmen I've ever seen:

I don't get them.

It's from a site called "Radical Feminist Memes" I linked in the OP. The first is simply stating that liberal feminists (remember third wave sex positive feminists are worse than Todd Akin to these people) convince people that "female means nothing". I get the impression that "female means something" is really just a euphemism for "hates trans" and "female means nothing" to them means "not transphobic."

The second two are simply the "Y u no...!" meme put in a radical feminist context, with the argument being that transwomen don't care about reproductive rights or misogyny. Yeah it's that stupid.

LOL, wow.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2013, 10:37:08 PM by Californian Tony »

HP, because they're trying to run other people's lives by their own fear. It's these kind of women that make me hesitant to call myself a feminist, because they don't want equalization between the sexes and genders, they want to abolish anything man-related.

Labeling is a bitch, but I call myself an equalist; how else do I let people know that I'm all for equality? For some reason, maybe because I was born in the nineties, feminist always seemed like a fancy term for a man-hater, and although I know that's not how other people use it, I could never use it to describe myself.

I've also found the term "feminist" a bit misleading, though nowadays I embrace it for the sake of simplicity and because I wholeheartedly agree with those who identify as feminist (with the exception of the fringe discussed in this thread).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 07:56:27 AM »

I was always taught in my women's studies classes (yes I took some, and yes I was one of only a few guys in them) that a feminist was someone who believed in women's equality.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »

I was always taught in my women's studies classes (yes I took some, and yes I was one of only a few guys in them) that a feminist was someone who believed in women's equality.

That seems to be the most commonly used definition. FWIW, I don't quite like it. I would define a feminist as someone who believes in gender equality and that women are disadvantaged compared to men in society. The reason I like that better is that you could believe that women and men should be equal and that nowadays they basically are, in which case I think a term like "post-feminist" is more appropriate, or you could believe that women and men should be equal and that nowadays men are the ones who are oppressed more, in which case I definitely wouldn't call you a feminist; in that case I would call you a "masculist" or "men's rights activist", which are actually things (although I've never actually heard somebody call themselves that IRL, only on the internet). Or I guess you could believe women are oppressed by society and that's a good thing, that men and women shouldn't be equal; not sure what to call that but I guess that was the view of many people in the past and a few, mostly in other countries, today.

Idk, all of that is just my own ramblings, what Hatman said is the definition I've heard used from all people who aren't specifically trying to argue against feminism (people who are against it might tell you a feminist is someone who believes in female domination or hates men or something Roll Eyes)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »

The reason I like that better is that you could believe that women and men should be equal and that nowadays they basically are, in which case I think a term like "post-feminist" is more appropriate, or you could believe that women and men should be equal and that nowadays men are the ones who are oppressed more, in which case I definitely wouldn't call you a feminist; in that case I would call you a "masculist" or "men's rights activist", which are actually things (although I've never actually heard somebody call themselves that IRL, only on the internet). Or I guess you could believe women are oppressed by society and that's a good thing, that men and women shouldn't be equal; not sure what to call that but I guess that was the view of many people in the past and a few, mostly in other countries, today.

Well, these are all pretty "original" theories... Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies