HI 2014 Congressional Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:05:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI 2014 Congressional Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22
Author Topic: HI 2014 Congressional Elections  (Read 48463 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2013, 03:44:46 AM »

I thought Hanabusa would win initially (given Hawaii is more Democratic than progressive....), but now I think it's Schatz. Hanabusa's just seemed desperate throughout the whole campaign.
CnstutnlCnsrvatv
ConstitutionalConservativ
Rookie

« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »

lol this race is great egg roll and gafilta fish will bruise each other so much that this race in a dem-leanin state will becoe an opportunity fora r epublican picup!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »

lol this race is great egg roll and gafilta fish will bruise each other so much that this race in a dem-leanin state will becoe an opportunity fora r epublican picup!

What? You are making no sense. You are on a forum, not a smartphone. And what the heck is up with your analogy?
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »

hah this guy's great
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »

Guys, ignore the incoherent troll.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2013, 09:37:11 PM »

Wait...are you saying what I think you're saying there?

Holy SH*T
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:09 PM »

What? You are making no sense. You are on a forum, not a smartphone. And what the heck is up with your analogy?

He's being reallllllly racist. Egg roll (Hanabusa) is a stereotypical Asian food, and gefilte fish (Schatz) is a stereotypical Jewish food. Classic "constitutional conservative" behavior.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2013, 12:49:34 AM »

He's being reallllllly racist. Egg roll (Hanabusa) is a stereotypical Asian food, and gefilte fish (Schatz) is a stereotypical Jewish food. Classic "constitutional conservative" behavior.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »

The Civil Beat still shows a narrow Schatz lead:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2013, 11:54:56 PM »

Wow I just realized that in this thread, he explains his own failed attempt at humor. Pathetic
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2013, 12:01:58 AM »

As if it wasn't self explanatory
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2013, 05:30:57 AM »

I hope she can still somehow overcome Schitz Sad
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2013, 05:50:48 AM »

I haven't been following this race as much as the mainland, but why did Hanabusa even decide to go for Senate in the first place apart from her original killer +20 point lead over Schatz as opposed to running for Governor against Abercrombie? Abercrombie has had constant low approval's in the 40's ever since appointing Schatz over Hanabusa for Sen. Inouye's old seat.

Granted Hanabusa would stand a better chance at defeating Abercrombie than David Ige, it may have been better if they swapped simply because it was because of Abercrombie why Schatz got in which should make Hanabusa want to go after him more and Hanabusa is going to have to give up her seat while Ige doesn't. It just seems those two and the Hawaii Democratic Party at large has more to gain from getting Hanabusa to easily primary Abercrombie, prevent the Republicans from taking the Governor's seat while still holding a job after giving up her House seat, and still give Ige a decent chance at beating Schatz.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2013, 06:35:48 AM »

Are you out of your mind? We need her in Washington! Just look at what happened a few months after the late Shelley Berkley lost her seat in Congress.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2013, 07:26:27 AM »

Are you out of your mind? We need her in Washington! Just look at what happened a few months after the late Shelley Berkley lost her seat in Congress.
I really don't care if Schatz or Hanabusa ends up winning because with the exception of Abercrombie, almost any Democrat who comes out of Hawaii is equally progressive and beneficial for their state or when it comes to Congress, good for the country. Republicans have by far the worst and most embarrassing minority in Hawaii than any other state (Ex. 1 State Senate seat), so like I said, most of them are great and Democrats can easily hold onto the state legislature, but the Governor's elections can go any way in any state no matter what the political climate is.

If Ige doesn't win the primary and someone like Republican Charles Djou decides to run against Abercrombie, it would be a big problem because then Democrats would have to put wasteful money into HAWAII next year in his re-election campaign and that could hurt the chances of Democrats in other gubernatorial races across the country.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2013, 08:11:54 AM »

I haven't been following this race as much as the mainland, but why did Hanabusa even decide to go for Senate in the first place apart from her original killer +20 point lead over Schatz as opposed to running for Governor against Abercrombie? Abercrombie has had constant low approval's in the 40's ever since appointing Schatz over Hanabusa for Sen. Inouye's old seat.

Granted Hanabusa would stand a better chance at defeating Abercrombie than David Ige, it may have been better if they swapped simply because it was because of Abercrombie why Schatz got in which should make Hanabusa want to go after him more and Hanabusa is going to have to give up her seat while Ige doesn't. It just seems those two and the Hawaii Democratic Party at large has more to gain from getting Hanabusa to easily primary Abercrombie, prevent the Republicans from taking the Governor's seat while still holding a job after giving up her House seat, and still give Ige a decent chance at beating Schatz.

For the same reason why Liz Cheney ran: because she wants to.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2013, 08:46:35 AM »

Which is why most people run.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »

Not really. She's basically running because she feels entitled to the seat. I'll give her more leeway because like I said before, it's more of a cultural thing, but it's taking resources away from other close races like Georgia or Alaska.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2013, 09:04:16 AM »

Yes really. Almost every politician who rises to that level is EXTREMELY ambitious, and there's nothing wrong with that. Singling her out and saying it's a cultural thing is flat out disgusting. The seat will not be in jeopardy for the party regardless of who wins the primary. The Democratic primary is the real election so give the voters a choice. This is her chance to attain her dream position and Brian Schitz only "earned" it by being appointed by his buddy. Neither has really earned it yet so no one feels entitled, they're just running for the job they both want. It's an open seat as far as I'm concerned. If he wins the primary, then he'll truly have earned it, but HanabUSA has every right and reason to run. Get over it.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2013, 09:15:25 AM »

>attacks another poster for not supporting her candidate
>defends a corrupt congresswoman even when she has a better candidate replacing her

And yes, it is a cultural thing. Japanese culture is much more centered around elders than American culture, so when the face of Hawaiian politics tells you who to appoint and you deny it, you'll feel entitled to run. It's not racism, it's the f***ing culture, and it's certainly better to spend money helping Nunn or Landrieu or Begich out than to help whoever in the primary the DSCC supports.

Please know what you're talking about before you start throwing barbs.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2013, 09:20:54 AM »

She wanted to run with or without Inouye's blessing. Will she use that to her advantage? Of course.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »

SawxDem is convincing me to send money to Hanabusa's campaign.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2013, 11:26:26 AM »

As I said earlier, in a one-party state where open gubernatorial or Senate seats are almost as rare as unicorn sightings, the only way to advance is through primaries.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2013, 01:28:55 PM »

SawxDem is convincing me to send money to Hanabusa's campaign.

You two would get along well anyways, considering you're both barely Democrats.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »

I support Hanabusa too, but...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies