HI 2014 Congressional Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 10:05:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI 2014 Congressional Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Author Topic: HI 2014 Congressional Elections  (Read 49164 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2013, 01:46:15 PM »

What's wrong with Hanabusa going for this seat? Does Shatz have some sort of god given right to that seat just because he was appointed by the governor? I wonder why there is all this outrage....hmm.
It reeks of bitterness.

Of course I don't follow Hawaii politics very closely, but it looks Abercrombie just paid off one of his loyalists. Of course that is how politics works, but I can see why someone like Hanabusa, who has ran for federal office before, would be bitter. Why should Shatz be entitled to that seat? He hasn't actually won an election for it. Why not let the people decide who is better? I don't see anything wrong with that.

Largely because Schatz is many, many years younger.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »

This is not surprising. She's leading by 22 points, so it'd be almost absurd not to get in. Until she has a formal announcement and a website though she's not in.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »

Any chance she loses a primary? I'm sure with Obama's endorsement Schatz could pull out a win.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »

She could lose, but her chances of winning look pretty good at this early stage.  Really, either of them would be fine.  It's not like there is some big ideological divide here (whereas in the Hirono vs. Case primary I would argue there was).

Officially, the DSCC is backing Schatz.  But given that he was recently appointed (not elected) and either he or Hanabusa will cakewalk in the general election, I doubt much resources will be spent.  The DSCC has much bigger issues to deal with.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:13 PM »

What's wrong with Hanabusa going for this seat? Does Shatz have some sort of god given right to that seat just because he was appointed by the governor? I wonder why there is all this outrage....hmm.

I just think that, at this point, Schatz is the better person for the job in the interest of both Hawaii and the Democratic Party. I certainly agree that Abercrombie proved tasteless (or, if you prefer, a real dick) in appointing Schatz against Inouye's will. But now this is done, and primarying him will only add drama to the drama. Also, if you're so pissed off at Abercrombie, why not go after him instead?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »

She could lose, but her chances of winning look pretty good at this early stage.  Really, either of them would be fine.  It's not like there is some big ideological divide here (whereas in the Hirono vs. Case primary I would argue there was).

Officially, the DSCC is backing Schatz.  But given that he was recently appointed (not elected) and either he or Hanabusa will cakewalk in the general election, I doubt much resources will be spent.  The DSCC has much bigger issues to deal with.

He still has 4 years to go, though.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:24 PM »

I'm with Antonio here, she should've gone after Abercrombie, who's both the perp and already hated for other reasons. First blue-on-blue since Lieberman and Safe D either way, so meh.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »

I just think that, at this point, Schatz is the better person for the job in the interest of both Hawaii and the Democratic Party. I certainly agree that Abercrombie proved tasteless (or, if you prefer, a real dick) in appointing Schatz against Inouye's will. But now this is done, and primarying him will only add drama to the drama. Also, if you're so pissed off at Abercrombie, why not go after him instead?

Yeah, and if her final goal is to become governor, she should just go for that first and get rid of Abercrombie at the same time. Then she can become Senator for life is that is what she wishes. Or maybe she just isn't interested in being governor, who knows.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2013, 12:41:36 AM »

Yeah, and if her final goal is to become governor, she should just go for that first and get rid of Abercrombie at the same time. Then she can become Senator for life is that is what she wishes. Or maybe she just isn't interested in being governor, who knows.

Why should I give a sh*t about what Hanabusa's political ambitions are? Political and tactical considerations are the only thing that matter.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2013, 04:13:10 AM »

Why should I give a sh*t about what Hanabusa's political ambitions are? Political and tactical considerations are the only thing that matter.

So why is he the better person for the job? Except for age, why is he better?
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2013, 04:51:55 AM »

I don't know why everyone acts like Schatz deserves a free ride to having the seat for life because he was lucky enough to have the governor appoint him. The Democratic primary is the real election in most of Hawaii's races and the state deserves some choice. If Schatz proves himself and wins, then so be it, but he should at least earn it the first time against some viable competition.

I'm personally supporting Hanabusa 100%. And women live longer than men anyway Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2013, 05:37:34 AM »

I don't know why everyone acts like Schatz deserves a free ride to having the seat for life because he was lucky enough to have the governor appoint him. The Democratic primary is the real election in most of Hawaii's races and the state deserves some choice. If Schatz proves himself and wins, then so be it, but he should at least earn it the first time against some viable competition.

I'm personally supporting Hanabusa 100%. And women live longer than men anyway Smiley
Knives
solopop
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2013, 07:41:10 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2013, 01:03:33 PM »

Agreed. Romanoff's primary challenge to Bennett in 2010 arguably made the latter a better candidate and helped him to win the general.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2013, 04:31:22 PM »

So why is he the better person for the job? Except for age, why is he better?

Age is a pretty big thing, in this context. Also, Schatz is one of the most left-wing Hawaii politicians and it's always a good thing to move the Senate spectrum to the left. And I think avoiding the drama of an internal strife is more important here than for the Governor's race (since everyone hates Abercrombie anyway, it's not like that would change much in that case).
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »

Age is a pretty big thing, in this context. Also, Schatz is one of the most left-wing Hawaii politicians and it's always a good thing to move the Senate spectrum to the left. And I think avoiding the drama of an internal strife is more important here than for the Governor's race (since everyone hates Abercrombie anyway, it's not like that would change much in that case).

Though Schatz is perceived to be more left wing, I don't think there's any question that they'd both vote the party line on virtually everything.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »

Though Schatz is perceived to be more left wing, I don't think there's any question that they'd both vote the party line on virtually everything.

We need Senators like Feingold that will vote against the party line when appropriate
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2013, 12:48:54 AM »

I wonder to what effect the 2008 Democratic primaries will play in this contest. Per Roll Call:

The two Democrats who will face off in next year’s Senate primary took leading roles on opposite sides of the primary that pitted Barack Obama versus Hillary Rodham Clinton.

In the Aloha State — where politics is especially personal — every possible division between appointed Sen. Brian Schatz and Rep. Colleen Hanabusa will likely spill out in the 2014 special election. Schatz’s team plans to use this to its advantage — including parlaying his role in helping nominate the president in his home state.

“All of those Democratic Party members we signed up we can actually ID by name, communicate with them and tout the connections we have with the president,” a source close to Schatz said.

Like many other states in 2008, the local party in Hawaii was split into two camps. Schatz, then a former state representative, was the political director and top spokesman for the Obama campaign. Meanwhile, Hanabusa, who was then the state Senate president, served as Clinton’s state spokeswoman.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/hawaii_senate_race_stokes_obama_clinton_rift-224330-1.html

For that reason alone, I'm endorsing Hanabusa. We need more Clinton Democrats in Congress to prepare for 2016 Smiley
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2013, 01:23:22 AM »

Agreed. Romanoff's primary challenge to Bennett in 2010 arguably made the latter a better candidate and helped him to win the general.

I love how Dems are stronger candidates after a tough primary but Republicans are weaker
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »

I love how Dems are stronger candidates after a tough primary but Republicans are weaker

I don't think Senator Lincoln agrees.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2013, 05:03:28 PM »

It depends on how the primary is. If it's an ideological purity contest, it makes you weaker. If not, generally, makes you stronger.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2013, 05:31:04 PM »

She's in.

http://atr.rollcall.com/hanabusa-makes-senate-bid-official-hisen/
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »

God damnit.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »

Would be the first Dem senator in 8 years to get primaried.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »

Would be the first Dem senator in 8 years to get primaried.

You're forgetting Arlen Specter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies