HI 2014 Congressional Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 03:48:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI 2014 Congressional Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Author Topic: HI 2014 Congressional Elections  (Read 49125 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »

The seat doesn't belong to Schatz either. God forbid he actually face ONE competitive election to prove himself before having the seat for life (the main election in a Hawaii Senate race is obviously the Democratic primary).

Schatz isn't any more entitled to the seat than Hanabusa is. If he wins, then good. He earned it. But stop acting like Hanabusa shouldn't even run.
^^ This. Why should Abercrombie get to decide who is Senator for life from Hawaii? If Inouye doesn't have the right to decide his successor, neither does Abercrombie have the right to appoint someone for life. Schatz should be challenged and the people of Hawaii should get a choice.
Yes, but Hanabusa's fans are acting like "Inouye's wishes is the only consideration for me". That's a sh**t argument. At least some of Schatz's fans have been more coherent about their arguments.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2013, 12:21:14 AM »

The seat doesn't belong to Schatz either. God forbid he actually face ONE competitive election to prove himself before having the seat for life (the main election in a Hawaii Senate race is obviously the Democratic primary).

Schatz isn't any more entitled to the seat than Hanabusa is. If he wins, then good. He earned it. But stop acting like Hanabusa shouldn't even run.
^^ This. Why should Abercrombie get to decide who is Senator for life from Hawaii? If Inouye doesn't have the right to decide his successor, neither does Abercrombie have the right to appoint someone for life. Schatz should be challenged and the people of Hawaii should get a choice.
Yes, but Hanabusa's fans are acting like "Inouye's wishes is the only consideration for me". That's a sh**t argument. At least some of Schatz's fans have been more coherent about their arguments.

Really? I find their arguments to be the most incoherent. Just because someone got appointed Senator they shouldn't receive a primary challenge? No Senator should be immune from a challenge and most certainly not some Lieutenant Governor who got appointed by his Governor.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2013, 01:26:25 AM »

Just because someone got appointed Senator they shouldn't receive a primary challenge?

I think our argument is more like "offer a reason to vote for you in a primary besides some dead guy supporting you for the seat" and that still hasn't happened. Even Ed Case had ideological differences from Akaka when he made his primary challenge. And yes, I understand that in Hawaii many of the natives and Asian residents hold a reverence for their elders and the passed, but it's not really a solid political argument at all. A sense of entitlement makes Hanabusa seem more sour grapes about not being appointed than actually having a vision for the future.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »

Really? I find their arguments to be the most incoherent. Just because someone got appointed Senator they shouldn't receive a primary challenge? No Senator should be immune from a challenge and most certainly not some Lieutenant Governor who got appointed by his Governor.

Nobody thinks Schatz shouldn't be challenged, most of us just think that Hanabusa's challenge doesn't make sense.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »

Nobody thinks Schatz shouldn't be challenged, most of us just think that Hanabusa's challenge doesn't make sense.

I think Hanabusa challenging him would make most sense considering her current position. Who else do you have in mind?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2013, 02:31:54 AM »

I think Hanabusa challenging him would make most sense considering her current position. Who else do you have in mind?

I honestly have no idea. I suppose Hanabusa would make sense, but the reasoning for her challenge (because you always have to have some variation of "the current guy/lady isn't doing good enough) doesn't. Maybe Tulsi Gabbard? Dunno.

Anyway, Daily Kos makes the case for why Hanabusa is not right for Hawaii (though they make the mistake of relying on a deceased politician's legacy that Hanabusa herself is doing), and I think they make a pretty good case.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2013, 08:36:10 AM »

Hanabusa was on POLITICO'S 50 Politicos to Watch list.

Also, guys, at this point, I think we might as well turn this into the offical Hawaii 2014 Senate race thread!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2013, 11:12:16 AM »

Hanabusa was on POLITICO'S 50 Politicos to Watch list.

Also, guys, at this point, I think we might as well turn this into the offical Hawaii 2014 Senate race thread!

I agree! It will be an expensive primary.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2013, 09:35:51 PM »

Al Gore has endorsed Schatz.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2013, 06:41:50 AM »

Peter Boylan, who was deputy chief of staff for Inouye, has joined Hanabusa's campaign.

In the open HI-01, State Senator Will Espero (D) becomes the first candidate to officially launch a bid:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2013, 07:35:44 AM »

Yes!!!!! We need a new woman in the us senate Cheesy
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »

I do like how Schatz is basically running as a cross between Al Gore and Bernie Sanders.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2013, 10:30:58 AM »

Not one like Hannabusa. There are far better female choices in the country. Michelle Nunn in Georgia, Alison Lundergan-Grimes in Kentucky, Denise Juneau in Montana. And they're just the Democrats running.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #163 on: July 27, 2013, 07:47:02 PM »

Hanabusa could be ensnared in campaign finance violations.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2013, 01:46:24 PM »

Ouch, Big Pharma? Glad that I'm supporting Schatz.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »

MoveOn is endorsing Schatz.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »

Inouye's widow is helping Hanabusa with fundraising.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2013, 07:37:46 PM »

We must have missed this, as its a few weeks old, but Akaka endorsed Hanabusa.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2013, 12:02:50 AM »

We must have missed this, as its a few weeks old, but Akaka endorsed Hanabusa.

HanabUSA!

Love it - while I'd prefer having a Republican winning this race, Hanabusa is certainly my preferred choice of the two.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #169 on: October 14, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »

Hanabusa needs to pick up the fundraising pace:

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »

It's been a few months, but Schatz and Hanabusa's camps have had their first back-and-forth.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/328815-schatz-campaign-touts-his-position-in-memo

Schatz sent out a memo to his fundraisers, touting his endorsements, his fundraising edge over Hanabusa, and the fact that he is the more Progressive choice for Senator.

Hanabusa's spokesman rebutted with this:

Sounds like loserspeak to me. A good sign that Hanabusa's campaign is failing and Schatz can remain Senator.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »

Gabbard should just run
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »

lol Hanabusa is throwing progressives under the bus now? Gross.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2013, 12:28:48 AM »

No. Schatz is a great Senator and I'm looking forward to his service.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2013, 01:23:46 AM »

Hanabusa is a pawn of the defense contractors. This primary is a no-brainer.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies