US-Canada County Maps Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 11:10:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US-Canada County Maps Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: US-Canada County Maps Thread  (Read 40245 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2013, 02:18:09 AM »
« edited: May 09, 2013, 02:34:19 AM by shua »

Any idea what that "other Christian" in Labrador is?

After digging a bit, it looks like it's the Moravian Church.

Why are they in Labrador, of all places?

It was a center of successful Moravian missions among the Inuit going back to the 18th c, and the low level of migration meant the Moravians continued to have the largest number of adherents there - not just by reproducing but by incorporating newcomers.

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/society/moravian.html
http://www.labradorvirtualmuseum.ca/home/white_settlement.htm
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2013, 03:49:49 AM »

lol

That map gave me a good laugh. There is some correlation to actual ideology, but some weird things stand out. Like, Newfoundland. Perhaps you need to add an industry category to your calculation so that Northern Ontario and Atlantic Canada aren't so Romney friendly. Vancouver Island also stands out- doesn't it have similar demographics as the Washington and Oregon coasts? It's one of the most left wing parts of Canada, so it's strange that it's under Romney.

I don't even know that much about Canadian politics, and the idea of Vancouver Island having a ton of Romney counties just seems crazy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2013, 03:55:12 AM »

It's more than a bit odd looking, but here's the first map for my initial projection:

Obviously the conservatives would do well, but counties like Santa Cruz being hardcore Conservative? Come on.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2013, 07:08:40 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2013, 08:15:33 AM by Hatman »

Heh, I was wondering about Labrador's Other Christians myself when I was looking at the data for my blog (Labrador is having a by-election). I cam to the same conlclusion, Moravians!

I guess the Other Christians in Manitoba are Mennonites and in Alberta are Mormons?

ETA: Abbotsford might be Evangelicals? Surprised, I thought the BC Bible belt extended to include Langley as well.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2013, 08:13:24 AM »

Asian Percentage by Census Division, 2011 NHS

On the US census, South Asians are grouped with East Asians? It looks like that's what you did here.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2013, 09:28:27 AM »

So purple must be Sikh? And orange Jewish?

In the first map yes. In the second map, Jewish is yellow.

On the US census, South Asians are grouped with East Asians? It looks like that's what you did here.

Yes.

Obviously the conservatives would do well, but counties like Santa Cruz being hardcore Conservative? Come on.

First of all, Santa Cruz was projected at 42% Conservative with NDP and Liberal each getting around 25% and the Greens another 6%. Second, the demographics of Canadian elections are a fair bit different than US elections, and this is based only on demographics (that is, all else equal, how the US might have voted if it were part of Canada from close to its inception). The only particularly notable thing about Santa Cruz County demographically is its high percentage of people without a religion, but in Canada such people tend to vote for the Conservatives, or at least, all else equal, tend to live in areas where the Conservatives do well. Also, the bachelors degree percentage is high but not the graduate degree percentage, which doesn't help the NDP or Greens.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »

lol

That map gave me a good laugh. There is some correlation to actual ideology, but some weird things stand out. Like, Newfoundland. Perhaps you need to add an industry category to your calculation so that Northern Ontario and Atlantic Canada aren't so Romney friendly. Vancouver Island also stands out- doesn't it have similar demographics as the Washington and Oregon coasts? It's one of the most left wing parts of Canada, so it's strange that it's under Romney.

I don't even know that much about Canadian politics, and the idea of Vancouver Island having a ton of Romney counties just seems crazy.

What demographic of Vancouver Island (outside Victoria and Saanich and maybe Nanaimo) would substantially favor Democrats?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2013, 09:38:26 AM »

Is it possible to do a percentage Sally Army for Newfies, or is that filed under 'other Christian'?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »

lol

What demographic of Vancouver Island (outside Victoria and Saanich and maybe Nanaimo) would substantially favor Democrats?

No clue, but NDP is quite strong on the Island (outside Victoria-Saanich-Nanaimo), so, there must a fitting demographic.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »

Is it possible to do a percentage Sally Army for Newfies, or is that filed under 'other Christian'?

Methodists are "Other Christians".

Religions are:
Buddhist
Christian (with the following sub-choices: Anglican, Baptist, Catholic, Christian Orthodox, Lutheran, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, United Church, Other)
Hindu
Jewish
Muslim
Sikh
Traditional (Aboriginal) Spirituality
Other
No religious affiliation
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »

The NDP is strong on Vancouver Island because of its radical working class traditions. As in the Interior, most of its vote had a prolonged electoral holiday in the resort known as Reform/CA in the 1990s.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »

The NDP is strong on Vancouver Island because of its radical working class traditions. As in the Interior, most of its vote had a prolonged electoral holiday in the resort known as Reform/CA in the 1990s.

That's another wierd thing. It came back to the NDP in the early 00's, which didn't happened at all in other provinces.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2013, 10:07:35 AM »

That's another wierd thing. It came back to the NDP in the early 00's, which didn't happened at all in other provinces.

Working class voters in BC love a man with a 'tache.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »

Religions are:
Buddhist
Christian (with the following sub-choices: Anglican, Baptist, Catholic, Christian Orthodox, Lutheran, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, United Church, Other)
Hindu
Jewish
Muslim
Sikh
Other
No religious affiliation

Aren't Methodists part of the UCC?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »

Religions are:
Buddhist
Hindu
Jewish
Muslim
Sikh
Other
No religious affiliation

Indeed. Merger of Methodists and other protestant churches, through that surprising, given the very liberal positions of the UCC (pro gay rights, pro religious gay weddings, pro birth control, for an access to abortion in all areas of Canada...)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »

Religions are:
Buddhist
Hindu
Jewish
Muslim
Sikh
Other
No religious affiliation

There are free Methodists, but very few. Much more "free" Presbyterians. Congregationalists merged as well. Fun fact: Anglicans very nearly merged as well. That would've been weird.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2013, 04:15:13 PM »

Any particular (reasonable) requests for NHS maps?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »

Yes. What jurisdiction boundaries can you do?

I suppose leading ethnicity by CD and by riding would be interesting.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »

CD, Riding, Census Subdivision
Qavvavak
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -7.00

« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2013, 06:41:03 PM »

How about languages (official and non-official languages) ?

and median age? i'd like to see which is most youngest to oldest?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2013, 10:34:58 PM »

CD, Riding, Census Subdivision

Would love to see any CSD map.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2013, 11:02:14 PM »

Largest Ethnicity by Census Division, 2011 NHS

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2013, 11:10:07 PM »

French leading in Sudbury District and Chinese leading in York Region are the two things I've noticed that have changed. It's odd that someone in Quebec is more likely to put down "Canadian" than someone in Sudbury District. But, I guess I get it.  "Les Canadiens" have deep roots in Quebec, and so people there are less likely to identify with "French" (or not just French), as that is seen as something to do more with France. However, once you get outside of Quebec, French people more identify themselves as "French" and less as "Canadien".

Though, I am surprised that Acadian doesn't win the day in Northern New Brunswick. 
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2013, 11:55:02 PM »

So I'm going to try to make a couple CSD maps, but it looks like a lot of CSDs have their information redacted due to confidentiality, meaning the maps might be a bit...sparse.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2013, 11:58:50 PM »

Largest Ethnicity by Census Division, 2011 NHS

So Québecois identify as Canadian rather than French? I'm surprised.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies