Bipartisan gun control amendment fails in the Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 11:39:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bipartisan gun control amendment fails in the Senate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Bipartisan gun control amendment fails in the Senate  (Read 15001 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »
« edited: April 17, 2013, 04:56:29 PM by SJoyce »

This is disgusting, everyone that voted no has blood on their hands. I hope that someone comes up to challenge Baucus and Pryor. Also I hope that more states implement policies that were put forward in  Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland and New York.

I can't see anyone more liberal primarying Pryor or Begich. Republicans, however, would be happy to challenge them. I'm certain Joe Miller and Steve Womack would be leading voices in favor of gun control. Schweitzer might primary Baucus, but I doubt Schweitzer (A rating from the NRA) will be pro-gun control either. And no way in hell the US does anything like what New York did (thankfully).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »

I'm rarely ever one of those people that says "if you don't support this, you shouldn't be in the party" because that's shortsighted and self defeating and just generally stupid. But if Joe Manchin, of all people, can show a spine on this issue, and other Democrats can't even vote for a horrendously watered down effort that just barely did anything, they should be purged.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »

I'm not sure where Schweitzer stands on this but he has a pretty good primary opportunity now
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 05:12:50 PM »

You know, if Reid had balls like Nancy Pelosi, there's no way this wouldn't have passed. Pryor, Begich, Baucus, and Heitkamp should have been easily persuadable to vote aye on cloture and nay on the final passage. Landrieu and Hagan stuck their necks out here (and for absolutely nothing, due to those four), why couldn't those four? Hell, the bill was sponsored by the most conservative member of the Democratic Caucus, and a former President of the C4G! I've lost all faith in the GOP so I don't expect them to be sane at all, but I'd have assumed these four wouldn't be voting against their party just for the sake of looking like a moderate on an issue that shouldn't be politicized in the first place.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »

I'm not sure where Schweitzer stands on this but he has a pretty good primary opportunity now

He was astonishingly pro-gun during his tenure as Governor, but that's at least partially because no major gun control bills ever came his way.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »

I support gun rights, and even I think voting against this is stupid.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »

I support gun rights, and even I think voting against this is stupid.

Most of America does, my friend. 88% of it. A background check is 15 minutes of your time, tops.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »

Draw your own conclusions.

He was astonishingly pro-gun during his tenure as Governor, but that's at least partially because no major gun control bills ever came his way.

There were some.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »

Even if those Democrats had voted for cloture, it would have failed, so the blame rests squarely with Republicans. 6 Republicans in blue/swing states voted no on the amendment, they should be called out more than red state Democrats.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 06:24:02 PM »

Coburn's compromise sounds fine, assuming the concealed carry permit is immediately revoked upon committing a crime.  Does it stand a chance?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 06:24:02 PM »

This was on Mitch McConnell's Facebook page.

Stay classy.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 06:25:40 PM »

Cowards.  Cowards.  Cowards.

Ugh.

Should I just go to the Capitol tomorrow and start yelling?

Cowards.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 07:10:08 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2013, 07:12:28 PM by jaichind »

Overall I very much support gun rights more as part of my puritanical support for absolute right to private property (means of violence should be allowed for someone to protect their private property.)  On pure merits of this amendment as is I am mostly neutral about but I lean against it most based on the fact that I think it can be a part of a slippery slope toward a gun ban.  Of course ever after Obama raised taxes on 450K+ my view of the Obama regime now pretty much channels Mao Tse-Dong Thought "We should support whatever the enemy opposes and oppose whatever the enemy supports" (Mao 1939)  From that point of view I applaud this amendment's defeat.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 07:13:49 PM »

Overall I very much support gun rights more as part of my puritanical support for absolute right to private property (means of violence should be allowed for someone to protect their private property.)  On pure merits of this amendment as is I am mostly neutral about but I lean against it most based on the fact that I think it can a part of a slippery slope toward a gun ban.  Of course ever after Obama raised taxes on 450K+ my view of the Obama regime now pretty much channels Mao Tse-Dong Thought "We should support whatever the enemy opposes and oppose whatever the enemy supports" (Mao 1939)  From that point of view I applaud this amendment's defeat.

Why do we say citizens can't own tanks or stealth bombers? Isn't that just the tip of a slope that descends into gun grabbing and ammunition banning?

The slippery slope fallacy could not be more misapplied than it is today. You're absolutely ridiculous.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 07:17:49 PM »

Overall I very much support gun rights more as part of my puritanical support for absolute right to private property (means of violence should be allowed for someone to protect their private property.)  On pure merits of this amendment as is I am mostly neutral about but I lean against it most based on the fact that I think it can be a part of a slippery slope toward a gun ban.  Of course ever after Obama raised taxes on 450K+ my view of the Obama regime now pretty much channels Mao Tse-Dong Thought "We should support whatever the enemy opposes and oppose whatever the enemy supports" (Mao 1939)  From that point of view I applaud this amendment's defeat.

lol
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 07:18:28 PM »

Stay classy.

Didn't Reid vote Nay?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 07:19:58 PM »

Stay classy.

Didn't Reid vote Nay?

Yes, but that's a procedural vote.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 07:22:42 PM »

Yes.  Mostly because then he, as someone that voted no, can always bring up this amendment at a time of his choosing.  Had he voted yes he would not be able to do that. 
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »

I oppose the assault weapons ban (though I would do extra background checks monthly) and find myself on some issues against gun control and I also think this is beyond stupid. The incompetence of Congress shows no limits.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 08:20:08 PM »

Goodnes... nobody actually wants ZERO gun control... that's what's ridiculously stupid about that meme.  It's just absolutely ridiculous when people make these 100% literal interpretations to the Constitution, that, when you play them out, are shown to be completely ridiculous.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »

Mind numbing idiocy, but of course that is nothing new.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »

Stay classy.

He wants to be reelected, after all. Perfectly natural.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2013, 10:28:43 PM »

Now is when a competent Democratic Party would attack the GOP for being soft on gun crime and public safety. But they won't. It's not like 80+% of the public supports this....
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:22 PM »

Now is when a competent Democratic Party would attack the GOP for being soft on gun crime and public safety. But they won't. It's not like 80+% of the public supports this....

Actually, it's more like 90+%
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »

It's a problem when a bill is voted down with a 54-46 majority. That's not how Democracy should work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies