The Confession Booth: Post something very personal about yourself
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:01:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Confession Booth: Post something very personal about yourself
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Author Topic: The Confession Booth: Post something very personal about yourself  (Read 54478 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: April 22, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »

I'm sorry, the only part of this characteristically awful post that made any impression on me was the sheer kickasstacularness of this turn of phrase.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »

Oh, so sexual harassment is acknowledging a woman's sexual autonomy. Brilliant stuff.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »

I just read everything Memphis has said in this thread and i have developed severe pneumonia
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »

I just read everything Memphis has said in this thread and i have developed severe pneumonia
I can agree with Memphis somewhat, but what happened to Tik is not just a man at a bar complimenting her appearance. It was repugnant.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2013, 05:13:47 PM »

Oh, so sexual harassment is acknowledging a woman's sexual autonomy. Brilliant stuff.
I am not a supporter of harassment. Persistent slimy behavior is inexcusable. However, a one time friendly advance is not harassment. It's being a functional human being. And women are more than capable of saying no if they are not interested. They are not the fragile little flowers other posters desperately want them to be. They are full members of humanity with all the power and decision making that goes along with that. And, of course, there are some scumbags who refuse to take no for an answer. That doesn't make all men sex criminals, much as others would like to believe. Fact of the matter is, most women without the scars of bad experiences want more than anything to be desired and pursued. That's why they blow so much money on make up and clothes. They want the men (or in some cases other women) to take notice. That's a key component of their self esteem.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »

Memphis, do you think if a woman goes outside dressed in a "slutty" outfit and gets raped that it is her fault for dressing that way?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »

I am not a supporter of harassment. Persistent slimy behavior is inexcusable. However, a one time friendly advance is not harassment. It's being a functional human being. And women are more than capable of saying no if they are not interested. They are not the fragile little flowers other posters desperately want them to be. They are full members of humanity with all the power and decision making that goes along with that. And, of course, there are some scumbags who refuse to take no for an answer. That doesn't make all men sex criminals, much as others would like to believe.

So, the problem isn't so much that you and Tik necessarily disagree from first principles as that your reading comprehension is as atrocious. Good to know.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...actually, you know what? Never mind.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »

I actually thought the last post was good up until the "Fact of the matter is..." part. Should've just stopped there and left the last bit off.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2013, 05:34:51 PM »

It was, but he obviously fails to understand what precisely Tik actually had a problem with. Either that or he has a very, very, very broad definition of 'friendly advance'. I'm a mostly functional human being without ever making such 'friendly advances'--or even the more conventional, less obviously sleazy kind--and rather content as such.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #234 on: April 22, 2013, 05:37:03 PM »

I actually thought the last post was good up until the "Fact of the matter is..." part. Should've just stopped there and left the last bit off.

It's almost kind of fun to see him veer in and out of "patronizing but in some respects correct" and "WIMMINZ IZ ASKING FOR IT".
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #235 on: April 22, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »

Fact of the matter is, most women without the scars of bad experiences want more than anything to be desired and pursued. That's why they blow so much money on make up and clothes. They want the men (or in some cases other women) to take notice. That's a key component of their self esteem.

Do you think that men should blow more money on make up and clothes to receive less negatives when they try friendly advances and, at the same time, being more desirable and boosting their self esteem?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #236 on: April 22, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »

Memphis, do you think if a woman goes outside dressed in a "slutty" outfit and gets raped that it is her fault for dressing that way?
I would not blame a victim of rape. Ever. At the same time, we all live in an imperfect world and need to be mindful of that fact. I wouldn't leave my front door wide open lest somebody loot my modest possessions. It wouldn't be my fault somebody stole my stuff, but it would have been wiser to be more conscious of the risks out there in the world.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #237 on: April 22, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »

It's hard to imagine what it's like to be an attractive girl until you have been with one and had first hand experience. Saying no rarely ever works. It's really frightening sometimes to see, but that's the way it is. Which is why I tend to avoid crazy advances towards random girls initially. But to each his own.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2013, 05:59:33 PM »

I would not blame a victim of rape. Ever. At the same time, we all live in an imperfect world and need to be mindful of that fact. I wouldn't leave my front door wide open lest somebody loot my modest possessions. It wouldn't be my fault somebody stole my stuff, but it would have been wiser to be more conscious of the risks out there in the world.

Wow.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #239 on: April 22, 2013, 06:08:39 PM »

...did he actually write that without irony? That, you know; that. That. I think he did. Good Lord.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2013, 06:23:45 PM »

I'm sorry, the only part of this characteristically awful post that made any impression on me was the sheer kickasstacularness of this turn of phrase.

Sexual trans victimologist works well too. Sort of a political application of a personal preference for kinky masochistic sex Tongue
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »

Does memphis echo Snowstalker's thoughts on Amanda Todd?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »

It was, but he obviously fails to understand what precisely Tik actually had a problem with. Either that or he has a very, very, very broad definition of 'friendly advance'. I'm a mostly functional human being without ever making such 'friendly advances'--or even the more conventional, less obviously sleazy kind--and rather content as such.

I think this is spot on. I can understand what Memphis is saying, and on some ideas he isn't wrong completely, but it must be sensitively taken on an individual basis. He just is sympathizing with the wrong male action, saying that "Hey, complete stranger, come to my hotel and I'll get you drunk" is an awkward attempt at an innocent advance. It may be, but it doesn't come off that way whatsoever.

In fact, a couple posters said that if I were female they'd like to know me better. While perhaps embarrassing for them, I was flattered. I still don't think it encourages women to stick around, however, but that's just me.

By the way, if you do know so much more about women than us, you would know women dress up more to compete and impress other women or because they enjoy it or because of society's expectations.. not to turn you on 100% of the time.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »

Sexual trans victimologist works well too. Sort of a political application of a personal preference for kinky masochistic sex Tongue

Kinky masochistic not-sex describes more of my interactions with other people than most of said people would probably consider healthy.

And with that, we're almost back to using the thread for its intended purpose again.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #244 on: April 22, 2013, 09:11:43 PM »

I think this is spot on. I can understand what Memphis is saying, and on some ideas he isn't wrong completely, but it must be sensitively taken on an individual basis. He just is sympathizing with the wrong male action, saying that "Hey, complete stranger, come to my hotel and I'll get you drunk" is an awkward attempt at an innocent advance. It may be, but it doesn't come off that way whatsoever.

In fact, a couple posters said that if I were female they'd like to know me better. While perhaps embarrassing for them, I was flattered. I still don't think it encourages women to stick around, however, but that's just me.

By the way, if you do know so much more about women than us, you would know women dress up more to compete and impress other women or because they enjoy it or because of society's expectations.. not to turn you on 100% of the time.
Women can be quite competitive. This is certainly true. I definately wouldn't know a $500 purse from a cheap Target bag. But, at the same time, they are also seeking the attention of men who will pursue them. Plenty of women are content to be single, but they also want to know that they could be attached should they decide to go down that road. In contrast, this is pretty much every woman's worst nightmare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhFnOAwr96o
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »

Keep telling us about The Wimminfolk, memphis. It's endlessly amusing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2013, 05:24:20 PM »

Ah, I just found this!  This must be the source of the Nathan/memphis kerfuffle.  Count me on team memphis Smiley
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »

I would expect nothing more from you, but I'm glad you've found the thread. I'm sure it'll provide you with some entertainment.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2013, 05:36:45 PM »

I would expect nothing more from you, but I'm glad you've found the thread. I'm sure it'll provide you with some entertainment.

I just skimmed it.. it seemed like he just said 'it behooves the desireless desired to be careful' and compared their condition to those with a few belongings among the poor...  I'm sure we've all noticed the sexual desire imbalance and the socio-economic imbalance, and the fact that both lead to some breakdowns of order - hardly anything shocking about what he said.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #249 on: April 23, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »

Ah, I just found this!  This must be the source of the Nathan/memphis kerfuffle.  Count me on team memphis Smiley

How surprising.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies