Why not Dan Malloy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:30:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why not Dan Malloy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why not Dan Malloy?  (Read 3305 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:47:04 AM »

Seriously, why not Dan Malloy for President in 2016? He's made headlines for passing the toughest gun safety legislation in the country, for requiring businesses in Connecticut to provide paid sick leave to their employees, for advancing a bill to allow greater protection for transgendered Americans, and signed executive orders allowing for day care providers to collectively bargain.

How is this guy not a top of the list progressive favorite for 2016?
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »

Only one of those sound like a big deal to most primary voters, and he wasn't the first guy to try and ram through gun legislation post-Sandy Hook.

I don't think he has shown any real interest in running for president, either.
Link
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:13:22 PM »

Dan Malloy wasn't exactly elected with a mandate.  He only won my 6,404 votes in a real nail biter.  Plus Conneticut isn't really what  one would call a jobs and financial success story.  There are all kinds of taxes in that state and jobs keep leaving.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-24/ubs-gets-loan-while-connecticut-economy-falters-muni-credit.html

I guess transgender sex is interesting for some people but I can't see a lot of people overlooking the economic track recorder for that type of thing.  Maybe it's just me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:13:36 PM »

I'm sure he's in favor of the new CT gun laws too......that won't fly in Murica.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »

Dan Malloy wasn't exactly elected with a mandate.  He only won my 6,404 votes in a real nail biter. 

See, I told y'all guys Connecticut was stolen.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »

Malloy barely won election to a fairly blue state, and his highest approval rating was still just under fifty percent.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03/12/poll-gov-malloys-approval-rating-on-the-rise/

There was some early talk about him being the progressive Chris Christie, but I haven't seen it yet.

He also doesn't seem to have a natural constituency.

He isn't a particularly memorable figure.

And it's not certain he'll be reelected.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »

His opponent, Tom Foley, who throughout the campaign was behind until right before, where the last polls actually had him ahead, is planning on running again, so he might not even get re-elected.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 03:50:45 PM »

I guess transgender sex is interesting for some people but I can't see a lot of people overlooking the economic track recorder for that type of thing.  Maybe it's just me.

How, exactly, does 'greater protections for transgendered Americans' resolve to 'transgender sex' for you?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »

Malloy barely won election to a fairly blue state, and his highest approval rating was still just under fifty percent.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03/12/poll-gov-malloys-approval-rating-on-the-rise/

There was some early talk about him being the progressive Chris Christie, but I haven't seen it yet.

He also doesn't seem to have a natural constituency.

He isn't a particularly memorable figure.

And it's not certain he'll be reelected.

There's also the demographics/location factor. He'll have at least one and maybe two new York candidates running against him. And if Hillary doesn't run, there's a very good chance Elizabeth Warren runs from Massachusetts. So he'll sort of be pushed out of the field by a number of more dynamic candidates in his immediate media market.
Link
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »

How, exactly, does 'greater protections for transgendered Americans' resolve to 'transgender sex' for you?

It doesn't.  Sometimes I'm hyperbolic and joke around.  The point was transgender people are a tiny minority of the population.  Where as everybody pays taxes of some sort especially to state governments.  I have never in my life heard anyone mention the rights of transgender people.  Well actually a few people have told me the people that demand their 6 year old be let into the girls bathroom at school and wear dresses all the time are ridiculous.  That's about the extent of the conversations.  No one I know would vote for someone just because they are a transgender crusader.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »

Seriously, why not Dan Malloy for President in 2016? He's made headlines for passing the toughest gun safety legislation in the country, for requiring businesses in Connecticut to provide paid sick leave to their employees, for advancing a bill to allow greater protection for transgendered Americans, and signed executive orders allowing for day care providers to collectively bargain.

Because what flies in the latte shops around Yale doesn't fly in the heartland of America. I would have no problem with the Democrats running that anti-constitutionalist.

By the way, Mr. Malloy nearly lost his first election.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 10:56:03 PM »

Because what flies in the latte shops around Yale doesn't fly in the heartland of America. I would have no problem with the Democrats running that anti-constitutionalist.

By the way, Mr. Malloy nearly lost his first election.

As if it wasn't obvious enough you were trolling, this "heartland" meme is a dead give-away.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »

By heartland I mean middle America --- Malloy made an extremely rude statement about Wayne LaPierre and his 2nd amendment support, how will he appeal outside the left wing base?

I don't get this idea that by opposing a liberal idea, you're somehow trolling.

It's obvious there are more Democrats here than Republicans - So what?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »

Malloy isn't, uh, well, hmm, isn't presidential material. Not even close. Yikes.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 11:42:40 PM »

Malloy isn't, uh, well, hmm, isn't presidential material. Not even close. Yikes.

My liberal relatives in CT want him primaried out.  He had done something with respect to education that upset them
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 12:33:06 AM »

I mean, if he manages to get Bloomberg to fund his campaign, he could be competitive in a Romney in 08 sort of thing.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 12:36:59 AM »

Seriously, why not Dan Malloy for President in 2016?

That accent, for starters.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 12:37:18 AM »

My liberal relatives in CT want him primaried out.  He had done something with respect to education that upset them

I want him primaried out too. He's awful.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 12:59:40 AM »

By heartland I mean middle America --- Malloy made an extremely rude statement about Wayne LaPierre and his 2nd amendment support, how will he appeal outside the left wing base?

Why do you consider "middle America" the heartland? What even constitutes the "heartland" of a country? Less colored people?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 05:02:02 PM »

Why do you consider "middle America" the heartland? What even constitutes the "heartland" of a country? Less colored people?

Geographic center, presumably.
Link
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 10:44:07 AM »

90% of Americans couldn't identify Malloy nor LaPierre let alone care what one said about the other.  What planet are you on?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »

he supports gun control.

and sadly, most democrats stopped supporting that circa 1988.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies