Would a white evangelical Democrat have any trouble winning the Dem nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:51:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Would a white evangelical Democrat have any trouble winning the Dem nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Would a white evangelical Democrat have any trouble winning the Dem nomination?  (Read 2532 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »

I'm talking about solely because of that. Let's imagine sometime in the future we have a candidate running for the Democratic nomination who is a white evangelical. To take it even further, let's assume that s/he was not raised in that and converted from Catholicism or a mainline denomination. However aside from that s/he is a pretty mainstream and normal Democrat with standard liberal positions on all the issues.

Would that fact alone cause any serious issues for the candidate or would it be a non-issue?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »
« Edited: April 04, 2013, 01:20:37 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

It would most likely be a non-issue. As long as an American politician from either party is some flavor of Christian, it's pretty much a non-issue these days, aside from maybe a few places in the South, well, and Utah, but it's very much a special case.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2013, 02:19:07 PM by Starwatcher »

As long as he/she:

*supports gay marriage

*supports equality for women, and people of other races/religions (including atheists)

*rejects creationism in public schools' science classes

*rejects abstinence-only sex education in public schools

... then there shouldn't be any problem.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 04:27:53 PM »

I'm talking about solely because of that. Let's imagine sometime in the future we have a candidate running for the Democratic nomination who is a white evangelical. To take it even further, let's assume that s/he was not raised in that and converted from Catholicism or a mainline denomination. However aside from that s/he is a pretty mainstream and normal Democrat with standard liberal positions on all the issues.

Would that fact alone cause any serious issues for the candidate or would it be a non-issue?

why are you so obsessed with white fundie dems.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 06:53:23 PM »

I believe this person would have a great shot at winning the nomination, but I do think it would put him at a disadvantage in the general election, at least when you look at the coalition that Obama has built.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:00:42 PM »

I believe this person would have a great shot at winning the nomination, but I do think it would put him at a disadvantage in the general election, at least when you look at the coalition that Obama has built.

He/she would get considerable swing out of the rural South, which would counteract any issues with depressed secular turnout.  A libertarian R could make OR, WA and parts of New England competitive, but an Evangelical D would be very well positioned in NC, FL and GA, and no worse off than Obama in VA.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »

why are you so obsessed with white fundie dems.

"Evangelical" does not mean "fundamentalist".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:25:21 PM »

Also let's assume the Republican opponent in a general election is sort of a generic Republican, socially conservative but not fundamentalist or heavily associated with the religious right. Think Chris Christie without his other defining features.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »

This guy says hello
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »

Pretty much. Clinton was a Southern Baptist, and that was almost never mentioned or remarked upon. It would be even less of an issue now.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 08:29:04 AM »

BRTD, when you say evangelical, what kind do you mean? Are they a Clinton style evangelical or more of a religious left candidate?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 08:56:17 AM »

Clinton wasn't a convert, like in my scenario.

BRTD, when you say evangelical, what kind do you mean? Are they a Clinton style evangelical or more of a religious left candidate?

Think a pretty standard Democrat that just happens to be an evangelical. Closer to religious left then I guess.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 01:26:29 PM »

Think a pretty standard Democrat that just happens to be an evangelical. Closer to religious left then I guess.

Considering how many Americans change their religion at some point during their lives, I can't see even that making much of a difference.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 06:45:32 PM »

Depends on how. Most likely it wouldn't matter.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 08:43:24 AM »

Ok, if that's the case, you'd see slightly different coalitions. Generic GOP would probably win NH, maybe CO as he does better with Soccer moms, while Evangelical Dem does better in southern states, probably winning NC, keeping Virginia etc.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 10:38:53 AM »

I doubt "soccer moms" would revolt much, consider that Obama might go to a mainline church, but he definitely came off as evangelical-sounding and in style in 2008 at least. And being white definitely isn't a disadvantage over him to soccer moms.

Another interesting question is what if they were a convert from Judaism. Would this anger some Jewish voters and cause them to do worse with the Jewish vote, or would they do a bit better because they'd still be ethnically Jewish and would probably still have some cultural ties? I'm really not sure.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 03:41:42 PM »

I doubt "soccer moms" would revolt much, consider that Obama might go to a mainline church, but he definitely came off as evangelical-sounding and in style in 2008 at least. And being white definitely isn't a disadvantage over him to soccer moms.

I think I misunderstood what you meant when you described the candidate. I had a white Jesse Jackson in my head Tongue
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 06:09:01 PM »

If they're a liberal Dem on all social issues, then it's of 0 significance whatsoever.

I know atheist conservatives who think the Lord's prayer should be required in school because it teaches good moral values and that religion, while they feel is false, is essential to keep an orderly society.  Clearly, he'd be accepted by the religious right. 

Policies always trump religion at this point.  Santorum was a Catholic and Evangelicals swarmed to him because they liked his positions.  Ditto with the left....secular progressives would be very content with an Evangelical nominee so long as he agreed with the party line on the social issues. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 09:41:40 PM »

I think I misunderstood what you meant when you described the candidate. I had a white Jesse Jackson in my head Tongue

Yeah I'm thinking very generic D. So more like white Obama. Or an evangelical version of Hillary Clinton.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 12:34:01 AM »

And let's not forget our first evangelical president.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 12:47:57 AM »

And let's not forget our first evangelical president.

Is this map going to happen today?

That said though it is notable that there has never been an evangelical Republican president, or even evangelical Republican presidential candidate and only once an evangelical Republican VP candidate.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 01:00:40 AM »

Reagan and Dubya weren't?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 07:03:16 AM »

According to wikipedia, Dubya is a methodist (UMC) and Reagan was a presbyterian.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »

According to wikipedia, Dubya is a methodist (UMC) and Reagan was a presbyterian.

Methodists and Presbyterians can be evangelicals, I believe.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 11:24:03 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2013, 11:27:32 AM by seven people dead on a South Dakota farm »

Bush and Reagan most certainly weren't though. I don't think anyone would count Hillary Clinton as an evangelical Democrat if she was nominated and she belongs to the same church as Bush (UMC). Reagan was actually raised in a liberal but evangelical-ish denomination growing up (Disciples of Christ), but was a mainstream Presbyterian most of his life. Reagan was never much of a religious right politician anyway, just a political opportunist (he signed one of the most permissive abortion laws in the country pre-Roe v. Wade as Governor after all.)

Actually something else fairly notable, though credobaptism is associated with evangelicals, the last Democratic President baptized as a baby is JFK. However every Republican President after JFK except Reagan was likely baptized as a baby.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies