Iceland parliamentary election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:40:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Iceland parliamentary election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iceland parliamentary election  (Read 28991 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:20:06 PM »

OMG, what happened to the SDA? They basically pulled this country out of the mess!

Also, why is EU membership even an issue while the country isn't in the EU?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »

Yeah, that's stupid. Anyone who wants to seek EU admission now would be a fool politically.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:15:34 AM »

It's pretty sad, regardless, that the SDA is polling so poorly after basically completely saving Iceland from the awful mess they were in, without resorting to any neoliberal nonsense along the way. Unpopularity of the EU or not, Iceland has been the most dramatic turnaround and it seems preposterous to me that they wouldn't get any credit for it. Good Lord.

Indeed. It's a rare example of the Left staying true to its value and, in the process, being extremely successful. This is truly depressing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »

I also suspect this is another case of the people in power being unfairly blamed for not magically fixing the economy.
Basically this + Iceland is a centre-right country without any tradition for SD governments. Last time was an exception and now that the country is stabilished many Icelandic voters are going back to "normal", apart from the ones voting on protest parties.

By "normal", you mean the policies that led to the financial debacle, I guess?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 01:21:36 AM »

Yeah, I get your point. It's just that it makes me sick.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 01:31:38 PM »

Wow, the IP is even more pathetic that I thought. I hope they stay at this level of support (or fall even more, if that's possible).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 01:43:23 PM »

One element that explains part of the leftist governments decline in the polls is the media situation in Iceland.

Its largest media corporation by far is 365 Miðlar which is primarily owned by Ingibjörg Pálmadóttir, the wife of London based businessman Jon Asgeir Johannesson, the richest "financial viking" from the boom era. Its well known that Jon Asgeir has been using his influence to change stories about himself, but he has also used it against politicians he perceives as "unfriendly to investors" (read leftists) .

The second large private media corporation in Iceland is the one centered around Morgunbladid, which used to be the only daily in Iceland and has strong ties to IP. Its dominant shareholder is Gudbjorg Matthiasdottir, who is on the Top 5 of the richest persons in Iceland. She owns a large fishing enterprise and a lot of valuable fishing quota. Editor in chief is no other than Mr. David Oddson, ex IP prime minister (1991-2004), chairman of the board of governors of the central bank (2005-2009), and generally viewed as more responsible for the banking crash than any other politician in Iceland. All though Morgunbladid is nominally independent conservative this translates as Independence Party conservative and the paper is highly biased against the government.

Its of course not uncommon that rich right wingers own the media, but in a small country like Iceland the effect becomes stronger.

The left should have passed a Media Pluralism Act of some kind when they had the opportunity.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »

One element that explains part of the leftist governments decline in the polls is the media situation in Iceland.

Its largest media corporation by far is 365 Miðlar which is primarily owned by Ingibjörg Pálmadóttir, the wife of London based businessman Jon Asgeir Johannesson, the richest "financial viking" from the boom era. Its well known that Jon Asgeir has been using his influence to change stories about himself, but he has also used it against politicians he perceives as "unfriendly to investors" (read leftists) .

The second large private media corporation in Iceland is the one centered around Morgunbladid, which used to be the only daily in Iceland and has strong ties to IP. Its dominant shareholder is Gudbjorg Matthiasdottir, who is on the Top 5 of the richest persons in Iceland. She owns a large fishing enterprise and a lot of valuable fishing quota. Editor in chief is no other than Mr. David Oddson, ex IP prime minister (1991-2004), chairman of the board of governors of the central bank (2005-2009), and generally viewed as more responsible for the banking crash than any other politician in Iceland. All though Morgunbladid is nominally independent conservative this translates as Independence Party conservative and the paper is highly biased against the government.

Its of course not uncommon that rich right wingers own the media, but in a small country like Iceland the effect becomes stronger.

The left should have passed a Media Pluralism Act of some kind when they had the opportunity.

What would that entail?

Fairness guidelines, plus if necessary splitting the biggest media corporations and forcing them to sell part of their facilities to smaller companies.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »

What would that entail?

Fairness guidelines, plus if necessary splitting the biggest media corporations and forcing them to sell part of their facilities to smaller companies.

And what of free speech?

Freedom of speech, like any freedom, is not and can never be absolute.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 03:53:22 AM »

Fail.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 04:49:48 AM »

That's my comment of the election results.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 05:22:51 AM »

"Fail" is the only word that comes to my mind. I haven't really elaborated on that, and honestly I don't think I even want to. It is just so disappointing on so many levels that forgetting and moving on is the best solution.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies