Can a pro-draft candidate win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:17:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Can a pro-draft candidate win?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Can a pro-draft candidate win?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Can a pro-draft candidate win?  (Read 2784 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2005, 11:41:18 AM »

I say no, which means the Republicans are completely morons if they nominate Hagel.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 11:46:12 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2005, 11:59:36 AM by nickshepDEM »

I guess it depends on the time period.  If we were in a World War II type situation I would say yes, but right now, not a chance in hell. 
skybridge
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 11:52:45 AM »

I wont vote for that kind of candidate!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 12:08:38 PM »

me neither. This is really the only issue that can change my vote to a Republican. If the Republican is anti-draft, I'd vote for them over a pro-draft Democrat, even if that Republican otherwise is as far right as Tom Coburn.

OK, maybe in that scenario I'd vote third party. But no one who advocates the draft will receive my vote, and will vote for a fairly reasonable Republican over someone who does in a heartbeat.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 01:06:25 PM »

I don't see why not.  The 51% of Americans who voted for Bush are very militaristic.  Additionally, few of them are of draft age, so they probably wouldn't mind a pro-draft candidate, as long as said candidate was also anti-gay and pro-Jesus.

Of course a pro-draft Democrat, as unlikely as that may be, could not win.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 01:26:49 PM »

Let's hope for a pro-draft Republican and pro-draft Democrat so we can get a anti-draft third party Libertarian / Green / Constition Party Candidate (all of whom oppose the draft).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 02:19:38 PM »

A real problem is that a number of Republicans really do have libertarian tendencies.  Reagan opposed the draft, for example.

The professional military opposes it as well; they want people who want to be there.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 02:21:42 PM »

The professional military opposes it as well; they want people who want to be there.

I agree.  The draft creates more problems than it fixes. 
skybridge
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 02:23:05 PM »

Wasn't Congress going to review some bill leading in that direction this March and April?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 06:03:12 PM »

The pro-draft candidate loses the 18-35 vote automatically, and most of the 35-63 vote, and a good deal of the 63+ vote.

You never know what may happen in the next four years, though.  If, in December 2007, Iran nukes Tel Aviv and invades Iraq...then hey, a draft might not seem like such a far-fetched strategy if we're going to reach Tehran by next Christmas.

Pretty absurd scenario...but we do have to remember that anything in 2008 depends on everything from 2005-2007, which we don't know about yet.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 07:44:12 PM »

In certain circumstances I would support a draft.  However, at this moment in time, a pro-draft candidate would neither get my vote nor get the election.
Leif Ericson
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 09:51:31 PM »

No pro-draft candidate would ever win vs. an anti-draft one except in the most dire of situations.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 12:12:32 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2005, 12:15:20 AM by AuH2O »

Where to begin?

1) No major politicians seriously support the draft. The most recent bill was actually put forth by Charlie Rangel to "make a statement" or something stupid. Hegel might have said the word "draft" but sure as hell isn't going to call for one when running a campaign.

2) The draft is, quite literally, of zero military value. The US needs 5 years notice to fight a major war anyway. Since the US is immune to invasion, there would never be a case where the draft would be necessary to protect the physical boundaries of the country.

3) Short answer: no. Actually, I'm not sure I agree with the draft under any circumstances except something REALLY weird.. and I mean really weird, like alien invasion. And presumably the military would be destroyed to quickly for it to matter even in that case.

p.s. on 3: obviously I'm being a little silly, but the point here is that, so long as our nuclear weapons are operational, there is no need for a draft.
skybridge
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 02:22:49 AM »

We had a draft until 1973--a good 28 years since nuclear weapons had been operable. I'll even admit that that was the one point I preferred Bush's answer to Kerry's during the 2nd debate when he (at least then) took a stand against it whereas Kerry came out with the usual political rhetoric. But you never know. They've found ways to split the country before and get half the citizens to support some non-sense, maybe they've gotten so sophisticated that they can sell the draft too.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2005, 11:50:07 PM »

A pro-draft candidate has a snowball's chance in hell of winning a general election.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2005, 11:52:10 PM »

A draft should never even be necessary.  In the event of an invasion, or a state sponsored 9/11  magnitude attack, you would think that most young Americans (older ones too)would have the balls to enlist without being required to.  

As it is, the draft wouldn't provide the quality force we need.  To get our military personnel to the readiness level that we expect of our Armed Forces, takes far longer than the usual two year term that conscripts serve.  A draft would only serve to give us a large, poorly trained military, kind of like China's.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies